Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So let me start off by saying I live up in Canada where on our hottest days we are at best mid 80’s but on average riding days are probably in the low 70’s, I have an 87 1100 and am seriously considering removing the cooler all together and just installing a bypass hose, I’m pretty sure my oil cooler has a leak, going to clean it and pressure test it, but if it is leaking (fin damage) I’m not super interest in spending hundreds of dollars on an aftermarket or even used (few and far between on eBay) now obviously heat is not our friend, but for the riding I’ll be doing (mild cruising) I don’t know that oil temp is going to be getting out of hand. I can’t imagine that my 1100 would be any warmer without an oil cooler than say a 1100 in the southern states with an oil cooler. I’ve ridden street bikes for 20+ years from air to oil to liquid cooled and the cooler the better, I know this, and yes with an oil cooler it will 100% run cooler, what I am pondering is with my external environment and riding style will it keep the bike in a optimal or very least not overheated temperature range without the cooler? Thoughts?

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pressure tested it tonight and appears no leaks, I’ll replace the crush washers on the lines and toss it back on.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Since it has no leaks I would flush it out thoroughly before installing it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts