Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '87 1100 recently developed a leak just below the banjo fitting on the left side. At first it was just a slight wetting, now every pair of pants I wear needs the left knee degreased before I wash them. Ironically, a friend's '87 1100 has a leak in exactly the same location. Is this a common problem? Can the leak be repaired? I was thinking silver solder or maybe some high temp epoxy or ??? Anyone with experience have any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
not sure how well a do-it-yourself epoxy job would work (maybe very well, maybe horribly)....you could always take it to a radiator repair shop....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Good luck with the radiator shops... around here (Charlotte NC) as soon as you say "motorcycle" they'll decline to touch it

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I'd look on ebay. I've seen coolers sell for pretty cheap. If the newer curved oil cooler fits that's the one I'd try to find.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I went down that road with my oil cooler, twice at the radiator repair shop with high temp epoxy. Had to buy one. $600 new $400 used. Lucky for you, you have a flat one and there are several coolers that will fit = cheap. mine is the curved one and I think it's the only curved one in the world so it's worth more than gold. I'd find out if you can find a new one that fits price it vs. repair charges.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I wrecked my 92 1100 and split one of the seams on the outside of the cooler. A friend of mine welded it up and I have been riding it for 3 years now. So its easy to fix if you can find the right person. Try air conditioning shops, they repair condensers and they are aluminum.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I'm with gsxr1216 on this one, Look around town and find someone that doesn't say something like..."hmm, I'll bet I could do it" There are shops here in our little city of 250,000 that specialize in radiator repair. I've had good results from two of them fixing aluminum radiators (on my trucks) but one in town I was going to have do the pipe work on my gixxer gave me a bad vibe...and when I saw them working on someone else's radiator and I new I had to run away fast. It should be repairable, if you can find the right person to do the work.

eBay could work too, you just might have to wait a while for someone else to sell one.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Check it isn't something simple like a crush washer/banjo loosened/leaky from age and vibration.

Epoxy doesn't work that well since it is too hard by itself and just cracks. If you mix in metal shavings before applying (quite a few!) it will stay together much longer, having multiple internal surfaces to bond with.

Should be an easy aluminum weld and cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts