Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

3641 - 3650 of 3650 Posts

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
308 Posts
With my project finished I guess I’ll post up some shots of my 1987 1100 stretch project.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newbie "oldie" here. I used this site under a User Name I can't remember and signed back up after a few years off. I am a 50 year old small business owner that rode oil cooled Suzukis back in the late 80's and early 90's. I have owned an 86 GSXR 750, 89 Katana 600, an 87 FZR 1000 and a few others that are not worth mentioning. In 1990, a friend of mine let me ride his black GSXR 1100. Being 20 years old, I couldn't afford the bike or the insurance on an Air Force salary so I told myself that if I ever "made it", I'd take some money and time and get my 1100. Well, I have been very fortunate and have a business that has allowed me to fulfill that vow. I bought it 5 years ago, used this site to sort it out and here it is, 90% complete. I need two OEM frame covers to replace the damaged ones and the last item will be the engine. It only has 24,000 miles on it so I am not in a rush to rebuild it. My goal was to replicate a 1990's retro "hot" street bike, like I used to ride around the mountains outside Los Angeles, CA.

I set up the suspension and it's geometry to fit my weight and riding style. I bought the bike from someone who weighed 50 lbs more than I did and he was on the stock suspension. The rear spring had been coil bound at some point in its life, so the spring was dead. The nitrogen charge in the rear shock was non existent and the front fork oil was a clay like substance. Both the shock and the front forks were leaking.

I have not paid anyone to do anything to this bike. As a part time race car mechanic, whether two wheels or four, the concepts are the same, so sorting out the bike was both satisfying and a lot of fun.

A few of the parts:

Mikuni 36mm Flat sides ( I also have 38mm flat sides but decided to delay the engine build so I got 36mm's so I could ride the bike for a while)
Ohlins rear suspension
Racetech front springs
Dyna 2000 ignition
Akrapovic carbon/ stainless exhaust (I put a Yoshimura tag on it to be period correct)
Stainless brake lines
Tsubaki chain upgrade
Sunstar sprockets
Push/pull throttle
8mm plug wires
AGM battery

I really like the site and have gotten a lot of good ideas from people who are doing their own builds. Thanks for all of the help.

·
Super Moderator
17,285 Posts
Newbie "oldie" here. I used this site under a User Name I can't remember and signed back up after a few years off. I am a 50 year old small business owner that rode oil cooled Suzukis back in the late 80's and early 90's. I have owned an 86 GSXR 750, 89 Katana 600, an 87 FZR 1000 and a few others that are not worth mentioning. In 1990, a friend of mine let me ride his black GSXR 1100. Being 20 years old, I couldn't afford the bike or the insurance on an Air Force salary so I told myself that if I ever "made it", I'd take some money and time and get my 1100. Well, I have been very fortunate and have a business that has allowed me to fulfill that vow. I bought it 5 years ago, used this site to sort it out and here it is, 90% complete. I need two OEM frame covers to replace the damaged ones and the last item will be the engine. It only has 24,000 miles on it so I am not in a rush to rebuild it. My goal was to replicate a 1990's retro "hot" street bike, like I used to ride around the mountains outside Los Angeles, CA.

I set up the suspension and it's geometry to fit my weight and riding style. I bought the bike from someone who weighed 50 lbs more than I did and he was on the stock suspension. The rear spring had been coil bound at some point in its life, so the spring was dead. The nitrogen charge in the rear shock was non existent and the front fork oil was a clay like substance. Both the shock and the front forks were leaking.

I have not paid anyone to do anything to this bike. As a part time race car mechanic, whether two wheels or four, the concepts are the same, so sorting out the bike was both satisfying and a lot of fun.

A few of the parts:

Mikuni 36mm Flat sides ( I also have 38mm flat sides but decided to delay the engine build so I got 36mm's so I could ride the bike for a while)
Ohlins rear suspension
Racetech front springs
Dyna 2000 ignition
Akrapovic carbon/ stainless exhaust (I put a Yoshimura tag on it to be period correct)
Stainless brake lines
Tsubaki chain upgrade
Sunstar sprockets
Push/pull throttle
8mm plug wires
AGM battery

I really like the site and have gotten a lot of good ideas from people who are doing their own builds. Thanks for all of the help.
Welcome back, amazing bike!!

·
Registered
95 Posts

A few of the parts:

Ohlins rear suspension
Racetech front springs
Dyna 2000 ignition
Stainless brake lines
Tsubaki chain upgrade
Sunstar sprockets
Push/pull throttle
8mm plug wires
AGM battery

View attachment 572177
Great looking bike. Well done mate. I fitted Mikuni Flat slides to my '88 slabby a year back, but have not fitted the push/pull throttle. Which make did you fit and has that made a big difference to the "stiffness" of the throttle?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Throttle stiffness can be dealt with the throttle pulley ratio. Bigger pulley on the throttle tube means shorter throw to WOT but stiffer to turn. Smaller pulley on the throttle tube means longer throw to WOT but easier to turn, all other things remaining equal. You can play around with your ratio to find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Throttle stiffness can be dealt with the throttle pulley ratio. Bigger pulley on the throttle tube means shorter throw to WOT but stiffer to turn. Smaller pulley on the throttle tube means longer throw to WOT but easier to turn, all other things remaining equal. You can play around with your ratio to find the sweet spot.
Thank Doc_Rot, that makes sense and will look into it. (y)

3641 - 3650 of 3650 Posts