Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the dry clutch mechanism fitted to the 750 limited editions ('86RG and '89RR). Or do any companies make a kit?

Adrock.

·
Registered
434 Posts
as I understand it the dry clutch was never offered by aftermarket companies so the only source of parts is oem which is stupidly expensive .

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong here... but if you were serious about putting a dry clutch in one of the wet-clutch bikes, wouldn't ya hafta modify the engine case(s) to make it work? ...and those things are noisy as &*#*^$ too BTW...

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FastCat:
Someone correct me if I am wrong here... but if you were serious about putting a dry clutch in one of the wet-clutch bikes, wouldn't ya hafta modify the engine case(s) to make it work? ...and those things are noisy as &*#*^$ too BTW...<hr></blockquote>

And what about that noise is bad???

The engine cases are the same. The difference would be the case cover around the dry clutch assembly and probably in the shaft that the clutch mounts to as it passes into the motor. I should get my books here at work so I can look this stuff up and be more certain. It is very possible to put a DC into a formerly hydraulic clutch bike. You just have to have ALL the parts.

So many years after they made them it is unlikely you will find a complete assembly from Suzuki. But I haven't tried to order that assembly either so they MIGHT have the assembly available.

As for Dry Clutches in modern bikes...they are everywhere. Especially if you go to a WSB or AMA race. The Yosh/Suzuki 750's of Mladin, Yates, Hacking, the Kawasaki 750 of Bostrom (not that Bostrom, the other Bostrom) and the 750 of Frankie Chili all have Dry Clutches. I even have pictures of a Yosh mechanic doing a change of the plates in less than 10 minutes. I believe they are made by Sutter of Germany. I've seen them in WSB R7's too.

It is a very much a novelty for me. If it went tits up I'd get a hydrualic assembly 86/87 or a cable 91/92. For what the assembly costs you could find an RG and have the whole ball-o-wax.

·
Registered
77 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Adrock:
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the dry clutch mechanism fitted to the 750 limited editions ('86RG and '89RR). Or do any companies make a kit?

Adrock.
<hr></blockquote>

Are you serious about getting a dry clutch kit? I know of a company that makes them for the '89 ~ '92 GSX-R1100, but maybe it will fit the 750 as well. The price is about $2500, though.

Yancy

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a friend that converted an 86 wet to a dry. Everything bolts up. Dry clutches are cool as hell. Save your pennies

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1989 - 91 GSX-R750RR
Along with the Ducati 916, Honda RC30 and the BSA Goldstar DBD34, the GSX-R750RR 'Hyper Sports' has left an indelible mark in the fleeting history of sportsbikes. With only 500 made worldwide it has also secured its exclusivity. It was never introduced in the US so most 'Yanks' wouldn't even know it existed.

To the uninitiated this bike may look just like any other GSX-R750. On closer inspection it becomes obvious that this bike is not ‘run-of-the-mill’. Besides its unique, unconventional upper fairing carrying the triple blue striped insignia (sinonimous with the factory racers) the side fairings have unusual bulgs. These are to house the oversized upper oil cooler, extending outward on either side. It also has a second, lower oil cooler just for the heads. Another thing hidden under the paint is the aluminium fuel tank, angled slightly sharper than the production GSX-R. Upside-down forks carry limited edition, dual four-piston callipers. 'Trick' 40mm flat-slides and a dry clutch were race-kit options. Gone is the extended tailpiece subframe, to support a pillion, as in the production GSX-R. The rear swingarm is also much more heavily braced.

In the race for technological supremacy in sportsbike development many a momentous design has ended up racing "from the Penthouse to the shithouse". But there have been a few exceptionally bright stars that light up the whole sky. The GSX-R750RR 'Hyper Sports' is one of them.

(total quote and rip off)...

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Adrock ]

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Adrock ]</p>

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Above information is besides the point. I won;t be doing this anytime soon, but one day it would be nice to have a dry clutch. Must get the bike on the road first.

What did they use to make their bike a dry clutch, i.e. was it a kit, custom or oem parts.

Thanks.
Adrock.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
It mentioned the DC as a "race kit option"...It means wasn't stock. You could buy a "race kit" from Suzuki, assuming your resume supported the request. I think the kit included bigger carbs, hotter cams, the clutch, a pipe, and wheels. Yoshimura has a similar program for North American racers. In fact they have a package for the TL-R that includes a Dry Clutch.

I'd dump my RG in a blink to get that '89RR.

Oh, and the RG on Ebay in Philly sold for $3,000. Just a bit more than I paid for mine a few years ago.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course my resume supports it, I'm the fastest
thing since sliced bread (well in my dreams maybe)

It makes me cry every time when I see an '89RR for
sale here. They go for between $8000 and $12000
in oz dollars ($4k - $6k in US).

For what I'll end up spending on my Katana, I
could have bought one with change to spare. DAMN.

Oh well, there may only be 500 RR's but there is
only one of "my" Katana's.

Adrock.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The 86 750LE came with the Dry Clutch stock but the 89 750RR was optional. My wife has a 750LE that needs some of the Dry Clutch parts. there are three parts taht are very unique to the Dry Clutch, The Backing Plate that seals the oil in the case (the piece behind the baskit). the baskit itself (it has a smooth spot on the back for the seal in the backing plate). And the outer cover that has the actuator in it like the later 750's. The Dry Clutch does not use the Hyd actuator like the rest of the other 85-87 750's. Due to a accident in where her bike was backed into (not by me!) both the inner and outer pieces are dammaged. Acording to me Suzuki parts guy the outer is still availeble (i am still waiting for it to come in) and lists for 298.00. The Dry Clutch is nice when it comes time to chang the plates but they do not last long.
Bones

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:
i believe the main reason why they're used on racebikes is to eliminate frictional losses from the basket spinning through oil.

theoretically, there shouldn't be any reason why dry clutches wouldn't last as long as wet clutches.....cars use dry clutches.
<hr></blockquote>

Is that why my cars rattle...?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I would give my left one to have that 89rr, how the hell hard and how th e fucking expensive would it be for me to get one here in the USA(man sometimes we get shit for cool bikes
)
where the fuck are our RVT-400's CBR-400 GSXR-400rr's and shit not to mention RGV-250's
errrr
-Karl

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i believe the main reason why they're used on racebikes is to eliminate frictional losses from the basket spinning through oil.

theoretically, there shouldn't be any reason why dry clutches wouldn't last as long as wet clutches.....cars use dry clutches.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KJ1:
I would give my left one to have that 89rr, how the hell hard and how th e fucking expensive would it be for me to get one here in the USA(man sometimes we get shit for cool bikes
)
where the fuck are our RVT-400's CBR-400 GSXR-400rr's and shit not to mention RGV-250's
errrr
-Karl
<hr></blockquote>

Basically, most people won't pay the $$$$. These little jewels are at the cutting edge of tech and are ridden like crazy in Japan.

As to the trick parts, Suzuki's reps, ie Yosh, will never be in a rush to turn things over after the fact. I was horseshoe-up-the-ass lucky to be able to buy the '90 GSXR750 WSB black box. Just bolts right into the loom on my '93 1100wp. As well, without ANY other changes, it upped rear wheel bhp by around 5 and torque by around 3. That is scary performance for a black box bolt on. Especially with a 13,500rpm redline. Gotta get a dyno adjustable rev limiter for the new season.

If somebody has a duff black box out there that they could let me have, I could explore what it takes to remove the top of the ultra-rare beast, with the intention of burning the prom program into some spare chips. Would have to be carefull, since I can't just order new ones if I fuck it up!!!!!
Four were brought into Canada in the early 90's. I got the last one left. What a diff.

·
Registered
893 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:

theoretically, there shouldn't be any reason why dry clutches wouldn't last as long as wet clutches.....cars use dry clutches.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>
But Jeff,
He said it's his WIFE'S bike, and we all know how them women are with clutches

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by OneWheelRider:

But Jeff,
He said it's his WIFE'S bike, and we all know how them women are with clutches

<hr></blockquote>

You mean my cars aren't supposed to smell like overdone toast?
Maybe we should look into automatic trannys for the next family vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts