Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the engine on my GSXR 1100 rebuilt about 7000 km ago. i had new sleeves and big bore wisco pistons installed and the head was given the once over as well.

I ran the bike in on mineral oil and then changed it to full synthetic after 1000 km. I have changed the oil a couple of times since each time using full synthetic.

The bike has been using 200-300 ml of oil per tank for awhile now and i was considering stripping her down to investigate and potentially replace the rings and valve seals etc.

In a last ditched effort to avoid the rebuild (after only 7000 km), I changed the oil back to mineral oil and after 1000 km or so the bike has stopped using oil completely.

I am obviously very happy but i will continue to check the oil consumption.

I am thinking that maybe the rings did not seal correctly before i changed over to synthetic after the rebuild?

Has anyone else had this type of experience?

Should i go back to synthectic on my next oil change or leave it on mineral oil?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Maybe the oil you were using is doing a great job clinging to the walls of the cylinders? No idea, after a good break in id say synthetic is the best way to go, mine doesn't burn a drop of oil.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I know as far as my drag car is concerned I use only mineral oil. Fully synthetics in some motor applications are so slippery that they can actually make it past seals and what not.

·
old squid
395 Posts
the reason oil comes in plastic bottles now started with Mobil 1. In the old days oil came in "cans" of wound treated paper with metal tops and bottoms. Mobil had a hard time keeping the oil in the cans. The cans were always seeping and messy to they had to put them in plastic. Good stuff.
Another thing "in the old days" If you had a car with 20k or more on it and you put Mobil 1 in it you leaked oil like crazy. Mineral oil in those days was no where as good as now, and they used to run higher viscosities. If I rebuilt and engine, broke it in with mineral like you did and then had problems with it burning synthetic, I woul have a chat with the builder. It shouldn't be happening

1 - 4 of 4 Posts