Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 GSX-R600 and will be doing my first oil change on it this weekend. I was wondering, is it possible to change the oil and filter without taking off the left-side fairing. If so, how is this done? Are there any specific bolts that need to be taken out and then just pull the fairing to the side or what?

Also...I do not own a torque wrench, but was wondering if there is a correct way to tighten the oil drain plug without a torque wrench. Like for example, tighten it on finger tight and then use a normal wrench to turn it another 1/2 turn or something. Anyone know of a safe way to tighten it properly without a torque wrench?

And same goes for the oil filter. Do I just hand tighten it until its completely flush with the gasket and then turn it a little more?

·
Banned
2,865 Posts
I have a 2007 GSX-R600 and will be doing my first oil change on it this weekend. I was wondering, is it possible to change the oil and filter without taking off the left-side fairing. If so, how is this done? Are there any specific bolts that need to be taken out and then just pull the fairing to the side or what?

Also...I do not own a torque wrench, but was wondering if there is a correct way to tighten the oil drain plug without a torque wrench. Like for example, tighten it on finger tight and then use a normal wrench to turn it another 1/2 turn or something. Anyone know of a safe way to tighten it properly without a torque wrench?

And same goes for the oil filter. Do I just hand tighten it until its completely flush with the gasket and then turn it a little more?
Filters only need to be hand tight.. of course thats if you dont have girly muscles.

I believe there is a way to change oil without taking fairing off but it takes some expierence :)

Its your first oil change..take the fairing off and save the time.

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
tighten it on finger tight and then use a normal wrench to turn it another 1/2 turn or something.
thats about what i do, but i use a new drain plug gasket...every time. the gasket costs $1 at the dealer. just tighten the drain plug with your wrench untill you crush the drain plug gasket a bit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the process of changing my oil this morning. In the manual where it's talking about removing the left-side fairing it says to remove hooks. What exactly are the "hooks"? Because it doesn't specify in the manual it just shows locations where they should be. And when I feel around with my fingers it feels like they are phillips-head screws. Can anyone help? I just get nervous when removing fairings because this is my third bike and it seems like everytime I remove a fairing I have a hell of a time trying to get it to go back on in the proper way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is fucking bullshit. This is why I try to avoid working on my bike because I'm not that mechanically inclined and it just pisses me the fuck off. I got everything off that it lists in the manual. There is just one point on the fairing where it's still connected and it will not fucking come off. Right where the "R" is in GSX-R on the fairing, behind it, the fairing is like clipped into a black plastic piece that looks like it should stay attached to the bike when the fairing comes off. But for the life of me, I can not get the clip out of the slot on that one piece so the whole fucking fairing is just dangling off my bike because of it.

Fuck it, I'm just going to try and change the oil with the fairing still on, but I'm sure I won't be able to line the fairing back up when I try to install it. I fucking hate this shit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
no need to get stressed over it. maybe on the left side there is a wire harness that can sometimes hang up on the fairing its under the left side intake tube toward the front of the bike...if i rememeber there are only 2 "plug" type holding points and then there is one on the bottom that holds the gas overflow lines... the 4 allen heads 3 on top and one by the kickstand..

did you pop out both of the plastic rivets from the inner side of the wheel well? it all fits together like a puzzle it it dont go back together easily then somthing is hung up..

my guess is that you missed both the plastic pop out rivets on the left side of the front wheel well...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no need to get stressed over it. maybe on the left side there is a wire harness that can sometimes hang up on the fairing its under the left side intake tube toward the front of the bike...if i rememeber there are only 2 "plug" type holding points and then there is one on the bottom that holds the gas overflow lines... the 4 allen heads 3 on top and one by the kickstand..

did you pop out both of the plastic rivets from the inner side of the wheel well? it all fits together like a puzzle it it dont go back together easily then somthing is hung up..

my guess is that you missed both the plastic pop out rivets on the left side of the front wheel well...
Thanks for the advice, but no, I didn't miss anything. In the manual it says there are 4 bolts and 4 hooks (I got all of those) then there are 2 fasteners on the under-side of the fairing near the tire (I got those) then there are 2 fasteners inside the wheel-well area (I got those). So I got every possible bolt, fastener, hook that the manual states and the fairing still would not come off. I tried it for a good 15 minutes. But it wouldn't come off in that one point.

Finally I said fuck it, and just worked around the fairing (since it was loose as hell anyways and just hanging there) and I changed my oil and filter no problem. And I was pleased to see that the fairing snapped back into place very easily. I washed my bike, took her for a ride and now she's sitting beautiful in my garage. :)

Amsoil oil and filter :punk

·
Registered
533 Posts
haha glad to hear, i usually change my oil filter every other oil change for that reason, plus the service manual says every third oil chance so i just do it every other time...

could it have been the wire harness getting hung up?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha glad to hear, i usually change my oil filter every other oil change for that reason, plus the service manual says every third oil chance so i just do it every other time...

could it have been the wire harness getting hung up?
No, I'm 99% sure it's a clipped piece right behind the 'R' on the left-side fairing. After I had all the bolts off the fairing was very loose and I kept pulling and tugging on it and the only spot that was giving resistance was right behind the 'R' so I looked and the only possible thing I could find was that there was a clip on the fairing that was clipped into a slot on the bike behind the fairing and it would not fucking come off no matter what.

I could easily take pictures but I already bolted the fairing back in place and really don't feel like taking it apart again just to snap a picture.

·
Banned
203 Posts
I used to take my fairing off but now i do it with the fairing bottom free only. So yes it can be done without completely removing the fairing as you now know. I think the reason the fairing wasnt coming off for you is because of the two or three clips at the top. You have to lift the bottom of the fairing up and then finagle the clips at the top free that should get it loose for ya hope this helps. Oh and i get frustrated with stuff to i want to just blow shit up with a bazuka sometimes but honestly when I get mad usually it makes the job harder or much more expensive for me lol so i try to keep a calm head and really think of all the reasons it could be not working on whatever I happen to be doing. Hope the advice helps best of luck.........

·
Banned
203 Posts
also it may have been the nipple that goes into a rubber grommet to support the fairing. If that is what it was you just take your hands and reach in the fairing and get right close to the grommet and push on the inside outwards to free it it may take a little pressure to pop free. Hope that helps too.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Filters only need to be hand tight.. of course thats if you dont have girly muscles.

I believe there is a way to change oil without taking fairing off but it takes some expierence :)

Its your first oil change..take the fairing off and save the time.

According to the service manual, no. It says to use a oil filter wrench. I use my hands too but i can tighten the shit soo tight with my hand the oil filter stops because the oil filter compressed the O ring to the point the oil filter metal is touching the block.

I think they say this because hand tight isnt a accurate unit of measurement lol and oil filters can vibrate off rather easier then cars from the vibrations.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think they say this because hand tight isnt a accurate unit of measurement lol and oil filters can vibrate off rather easier then cars from the vibrations.
The Suzuki filter calls for 2 turns once the O-ring touches. That is actually quite tight and is hard to do by hand. Their proper tool will make it a lot easier and will not risk collapsing the outside of the filter.

Aftermarket filters have a different O-ring design/shape and require less turns past contact and can be done more easily by hand.

Make sure you understand this distinction between different oil filters.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
The Suzuki filter calls for 2 turns once the O-ring touches. That is actually quite tight and is hard to do by hand. Their proper tool will make it a lot easier and will not risk collapsing the outside of the filter.

Aftermarket filters have a different O-ring design/shape and require less turns past contact and can be done more easily by hand.

Make sure you understand this distinction between different oil filters.
I dont think you can go much past metal to metal contact. Basically my filter lip is touching the filter base block. Next oil change ill count the turns to make sure, thanks for the info though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts