Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, but not new to motorcycles. Anyway what i have put a bit of thought into lately is wouldn't an oil that gets dirtier sooner be better than an oil that stays clean longer?

Let me clarify that. As an oil that gets dirtier sooner would obviously be carrying more particles than an oil that stays cleaner right? And the most damaging of those particles will be traped via the oil filter. At oil change time those particles will be outed instead of still being on vital engine components yes?

What are your opinions of this subject? What is better and why?

·
Registered
241 Posts
In my point of view, i am not too concerned with the type of oil i used as long as it is 10W40 or 20W50.:hammer

I seldom used fully synthetic or semi-synthetic as i used the normal engine oil for cars and the engine is fine so with the exhaust & clutch. Also i change the oil filter at every 2 intervals (sometimes i don't till 3rd change oil)...i'm just a poor man...:cheers

·
Banned
10,466 Posts
:lmao @ dirty oil sooner vs clean oil longer

if you run water through a coffee filter with dog shit in it...that water is still gonna taste like dog shit. :sleep

I think you are asking about viscousity breakdown but just don't know how to word the question.... :facepalm

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
The filter does not catch all the damaging particulate matter in the oil as it can only filter down so far before it becomes to restrictive. Also motorcycle oil sheers out at a higher rate.

Changing the oil and filter often is your best bet for internal engine cleanliness.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
I am new to this forum, but not new to motorcycles. Anyway what i have put a bit of thought into lately is wouldn't an oil that gets dirtier sooner be better than an oil that stays clean longer?

Let me clarify that. As an oil that gets dirtier sooner would obviously be carrying more particles than an oil that stays cleaner right? And the most damaging of those particles will be traped via the oil filter. At oil change time those particles will be outed instead of still being on vital engine components yes?

What are your opinions of this subject? What is better and why?
This doesn't make sense. I think what you're trying to imply is that if a particular brand of oil is getting dirty faster than another brand that it's doing a better job of keeping your engine clean.

I doubt you could really tell unless you do a particulate count in a lab setting.

More to the point, the filter is doing the job, no matter what. When the oil gets "dirty," ie., dark in color, change it if you want. You'll be doing a lot of changes 'cause it just ain't gonna stay that clear amber color. Change every 3,000 miles is ideal.

--Wag--

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
More to the point, the filter is doing the job, no matter what. When the oil gets "dirty," ie., dark in color, change it if you want. You'll be doing a lot of changes 'cause it just ain't gonna stay that clear amber color. Change every 3,000 miles is ideal.
Exactly my point. Didn't want to name brands, but alot of people don't like Motul because it dirtys sooner, or is that viscosity break down?

Back to the original question, and yes maybe i didn't state it correctly but *dog shit* flavoured coffee still comes from the espresso machine now doesn't it? and wouldn't an oil that removes that *coffee shit* and lubricates be better for the motor overall? Or an oil that stays cleaner while leaving said Deposits on components be better?

Motorex is good at cleaning the motor and lubricating, motul i have heard does suffer viscosity break down but never experienced it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts