Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on the used Ohlins. It is for a 750 but the length is supposed to be the same as the 1100. That may be, but this shock is about 1/2" shorter than the stocker. Could this be the way Ohlins wanted it? Or is it just not really the right one? Whatever the case, it sure is different. With the stocker, when I put my bike on the sidestand the shock would raise up a lot. The Ohlins has no give whatsoever, and the bike sits more straight up on the kickstand, as it is slightly lower. What's the deal

·
Super Moderator
17,410 Posts
Sounds really bad!!!

Better send that too me..
Don't wanna clutter up the garage.

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah! It may come to that, but it's really not that bad....I mean it fits and all. Just wondering if it's the way it's supposed to be. When I put on the 17" rims I'll definitely have to shorten the kickstand though...

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
no ride height adjuster on that shock?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dunno...can you tell from the pic?

[ 02-05-2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Ragnar ]

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
There isn't a ride height adjuster on that baby. that would add about 3/4" in overall length. It is something that can be retro-d either at PPS in th states or Steen Hansen in Canada. At the same time you can get the oil changed and the nitrogen recharged

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Heres how Ohlins says its done: Ohlins Manual PDF Check page 9. Also try 828-692-4525 ext313 Should get you Jerry at Ohlins he helped me with the Hyd. pre-load adjustor to fit my 90 with the Ti spring. Ohlins did not offer one for mine but as the Ti spring was 25mm shorter than the Ohlins spring he worked out that it could fit.
Bones

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check the upper part of the shock for a stamped number. If it's SU527 then the shock is from an 85-87 GSXR750 an that shock is 24,5mm (1inch) to short for your 88 GSXR1100. SU635=GSXR1100 86-88. SU002=GSXR1100 89-92. SU527=GSXR750 85-87. SU003=GSXR750 88-95.

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really need to start posting before I buy.
I knew this was for a 750, but it's not even close to the one for the 1100. I spoke to Jerry at Ohlins, and the length, valving, spring, travel, and everything else is different. I'll give Spike52 1st dibs on it, then it's gone. Any 635's laying around over there R1100
Thanks for all the replies everyone

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
ah yes the 750 shock is shorter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, why can I never get away with cheating
I guess I'll have to drop over $600 now for what I want.
Doe's that new Fox of your's have ride height adjust?

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by Ragnar:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
ah yes the 750 shock is shorter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, why can I never get away with cheating
I guess I'll have to drop over $600 now for what I want.
Doe's that new Fox of your's have ride height adjust?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no ride adjuster on my new one either

but I am getting some adjustable dog bones made up for when I swap in the 93 bananna arm

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
Ragnar if spike52 does not want it let me know what you are looking to get for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just bought myself a SU003 Öhlins (88-95 GSXR750) for my 86 GSXR1100. It needs to be modified before it fitts my bike. Bottom mount is wrong and probably springrate. It's only 2mm to short but has ridehight adjuster so thats no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts