Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have driven one summer with my stock suspension. I am interest about upgrading my suspension in my K6. I have these products in mind: Forks: Ohlins FG 339 43mm R/T and rear shock: Ohlins 46prxls.

Just how good are they really compared to stock suspension? I drive both track and street.

Thank you allready!

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
Good shock choice, but why not just get the stock forks revalved, or replace the stock internal cartridge with an Ohlins or Traxxion cartridge? For 90% of track riders, the R&T forks are overkill.

Unless you just want those forks for the bling factor. :D

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
d207gp said:
Good shock choice, but why not just get the stock forks revalved, or replace the stock internal cartridge with an Ohlins or Traxxion cartridge? For 90% of track riders, the R&T forks are overkill.

Unless you just want those forks for the bling factor. :D
+ 1

·
Registered
317 Posts
nano said:
I have driven one summer with my stock suspension. I am interest about upgrading my suspension in my K6. I have these products in mind: Forks: Ohlins FG 339 43mm R/T and rear shock: Ohlins 46prxls.

Just how good are they really compared to stock suspension? I drive both track and street.

Thank you allready!
Got an SU503 and FGK119 cartridges in mine. The cartridges have traxxion high flow compression pistons retro-fitted, I'm running .95 springs, and 115mm oil level(Ohlins 5wt oil). Very comfy, good ride height control. Our NZ roads are crap, so to have a set-up that seems to work all round, I'm very happy with them. If you've got the coin, by all means get R&T's, but I think you'd be happy with the cartridge kit

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice comments! Yes i am familiar with changing the stock internals but im kind of guy who doesnt want it "half way" i always try to look for the best solutions in life.

I will get the R/T forks because im not in a hurry because here in finland the winters are very long. Next time when i can ride is like 6months away. So i have plenty of time saving money and plan my moves relating to my bike.

I would really appreciate if someone who has R/T Forks or 46 prxls rear shock could give his 2cents about all of this. All comments are more than welcome here. I am always trying to be humble and learn new things about bikes and life also.

Sorry about my bad english, i must have been sleeping at english lessons ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey Nano, your English is probably better than those of us who speak it!!
My Ohlins cartridges cost me about NZD$2350.00, whereas R&T's would have set me back about NZD$5500.00. The forks now perform WAY better than stock, probably very close to R&T's. Another mod I did to the forks was put K-tech compression adjusters in. They are 1.5mm orifice, and give me the option of stiffening the low speed compression for track type riding, as well as being able to make them compliant for road use.
The shock performs as you would expect from Ohlins.
I suppose you would get a good deal on Ohlins gear, being next door neighbors to Sweden. Let us know how it all goes

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
nano said:

Thank you allready!
It's a high quality suspension set-up. A re-build of the OEM with i.e the 119 cartridges will prolly do the same for you..........and maybe a better bang for buck upgrade, but if you can swing the cash and like a little bling factor go for the R&T's.
What ever you do, make sure you get the correct springs for your weight. Overly important.

The Ohlins set-up will feel a lot stiffer than OEM and do not expect a higher comfort level. They are racing products and work very well when riding hard.

·
Registered
317 Posts
COMEBACK said:
It's a high quality suspension set-up. A re-build of the OEM with i.e the 119 cartridges will prolly do the same for you..........and maybe a better bang for buck upgrade, but if you can swing the cash and like a little bling factor go for the R&T's.
What ever you do, make sure you get the correct springs for your weight. Overly important.

The Ohlins set-up will feel a lot stiffer than OEM and do not expect a higher comfort level. They are racing products and work very well when riding hard.
The Ohlins cartridges WILL give better comfort with hi-flow comp. pistons. The forks do feel more taut, but have better compliance. The lack of friction in them goes a long way towards this

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Palomartian said:
My RTs have no rebound damping. Not sure what to make of that. Nice forks otherwise.
:eek:hmy

Maybe that's because your front wheel spends most of its time up in the air?:D

----------------------------------------------------------------

Nano, buy the R&Ts with springs to suit your weight, if you can afford it. Best bang for the buck. Beats experimenting what is the best cartridge/valving upgrade out there. The SU503 rear shock is up there with the best.

Prices vary around the world, but the cheapest I've located is from here : http://www.hardracing.com/Shocks%20&%20Steering%20Damp/OhlinsPricing.htm

US$2,195 without shipping for R&Ts, and US$998 for the shock.

View attachment 25764

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just make sure you are very familiar with setting up the suspension before you get these. I got my Ohlins R&T forks from a guy who wanted them real bad, then couldn't set the up so he gave up and put the stock stuff back on. It's not hard, you will have a bigger range of adjustment. If you go ahead and get the stuff, I think you will be happy. I got a couple of bikes and it's night and day between the Ohlins bike and the stock suspension one.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Just cause I'm a dollars and cents kind of guy: if you buy the RT forks you can swap the stock ones back on and recoup some or most of the money if you sell the bike. You'd at least cover the cost difference between the RT forks and just the cartridge so I'd say going for the whole package is the better deal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice comments! Yes i will definetely get the correct springs for my weight. Throttlestop The SU503 rear shock is the same as 46 PRXLS. "SU503" is just a product code. You probably know this but someone here might not know.

You guys in United States are so spoiled with your prices. Here Finland where i live i have to pay for 46prxls 1300$ and R/T forks are something around 3000$. If id order the goods from those websites you prvovided i have to pay additional 24% tax + shipping. Also the warranty issues arent so easy to deal with over seas.

I will buy my products from the local race-shop. Where they can be tuned and adjusted by a professional and the warranty issues are easy to deal with. This is more important to me than saving few hundred bucks ordering from internet.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ohlins is some top notch stuff but the lack of rebound dampening would scare me away since I believe that's a very important adjustment to have when going back and forth from street to track. Just my .2:cheers

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
JetSpeedz said:
you cant go wrong with ohlins, just after the first ride i noticed the improvment with the recommended ohlins settings, after a good dial in, it feels like butter...
To be fair, I've gone through RaceTech valves with Ti Yosh springs, and after that, a custom Bitubo race cartridge and FXF 31 race shock tuned by the factory for my specific riding needs. The Bitubos provided far better handling qualities at 9/10ths pace at the track, but were a little too firm for the street, however. That was what led me back to Ohlins. In any case, both were a huge improvement over the stock front end.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Smokey74 said:
Ohlins is some top notch stuff but the lack of rebound dampening would scare me away since I believe that's a very important adjustment to have when going back and forth from street to track. Just my .2:cheers
have 2 R&T forks and can't say I have noticed any problem with the rebound damping. On the contrary I feel there is a lot adjustability in the rebound. Actually experimented with it here the other day and +/- 2 clicks was very noticeable.

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
In the garage, at 70ºf, there is plenty of rebound. At the track after a session at speed, not so much. There was a discussion earlier of the level of tech in the newer R/Ts. Stig Pettersen says the new damping circuits have larger pistons, but the holes are the same size. Not quite the holy fucking grail, is it?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.