Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a ohlins shock to their K5 yet?
According to webcrush on here you have to relocate the voltage regulator when mounting a Penske or find another place for the shock resorvoir.

Just wondering if this would apply when mounting the Ohlins shock as well. By looking at the Ohlins for the K5 it looks like the resorvoir is shaped a little different......more fat and not as long as the one I have for the K2.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
yes i have.. i just installed mine few days ago. according to webcrush, the ohlins he was talking about was for the older verson k4 and lower i think. the one i have installed is only made for my K5. i don't have to relocate the regulator.i will post pic if you want me to

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
The K5 rear Ohlins won't be available here for another month, so I thought I'd try out my K3 Ohlins on the new bike. I managed to get it in over the weekend, and here is my impression of the mod:

a. The rear brake reservoir had to be displaced 1.4cm outwards with a spacer to accomodate the larger nitrogen canister of the older shock, and the SET control box had to be removed altogether.

b. The Ohlins is 2mm taller in height compared with the stock K5 shock, giving 6mm overall increase in ride height at the rear.

c. Preload had to be set to absolute minimum. Ride height adjusters were already at a minimum, as delivered, so there's no hope of lowering it any further.

c. The recommended damping settings (for the k3) from Ohlins didn't work too well on the K5 as expected. I found I needed to go in 2 clicks of rebound and compression to make it feel right for the road.

My riding impression (for the road) is this: damping is still first-rate, just as it was on my older K3, but the rear is still riding too high, making the bike a little too quick on turn-in. Racers may appreciate the quicker turn-in, and the near-absence of squat coming hard out of corners, compared with the stock shock. I'm heading for the track as soon as I've completed running-in (600kms so far), to see how she handles in the fast, twisty stuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sexfreak where did you get that exhaust hanger!?? I have been looking for one of those! thanks

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Ohlins is 2mm taller in height compared with the stock K5 shock, giving 6mm overall increase in ride height at the rear.
Is this (K3) Ohlins the same height as your stock K3 shock?

Or in other words, does anyone know if the Ohlins for the K5 has the same lenght as the stock K5?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
"Is this (K3) Ohlins the same height as your stock K3 shock?"

I imagine it was, but I can't verify that anymore as the K3 has since been sold.
Sorry. Maybe someone else here knows?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The Ohlins is 2mm taller in height compared with the stock K5 shock, giving 6mm overall increase in ride height at the rear.

Or in other words, does anyone know if the Ohlins for the K5 has the same lenght as the stock K5?
i compared it both the stock and the ohlins and hold it upright both on thhe ground level, it looks like the stock is a bit higher. BUT when i look at the holes both top and bottom mounting area, the ohlins is higher.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

i compared it both the stock and the ohlins and hold it upright both on thhe ground level, it looks like the stock is a bit higher. BUT when i look at the holes both top and bottom mounting area, the ohlins is higher.
Thanks.
I'll do some proper measurements between the two when I get it and post up.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
that would be great. my buddy was in a freaking hurry to leave for class and i ddin't have the time to do the measurements. post up. any idea when and how long it will get to ya ? did you double check with hardracing that they actually sent it off?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.