Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Official thread - 2012 gsxr 1000

164K views 548 replies 146 participants last post by  THE REV 
#1 ·
Does anybody know or have any info on the 2012 GSXR 1000? Pics? Specs?

#77 ·
Re: 2012 gsxr 1000

My thinking is they are taking out all the riders responsibilities and replacing it with electronics. IMO the racing was much better without, leave it up to the rider to launch the bike, slide the bike, and ultimately crash the bike.

How many articles I've read where the Motogp rider opens the throttle wide open before the apex cause he knows its going to hit until after the apex. Thats too much intrusiveness if you ask me, let the rider figure it out.

And Im not even mentioning how these electronic's are interpreted with the begginer rider or novice rider. Ok I will, what a joke goes something like this,...

"Hi Im here to purchase my first bike and my friend told me that I shouldnt get the 600 as my first bike cause I'll just be bored of it after 6months. So I want to buy the 1000 as my first bike. Plus one of the other dealers salesmen told me I could just put the bike in 600 mode and get used to it. Man that would make me laugh!"

#79 ·

How many articles I've read where the Motogp rider opens the throttle wide open before the apex cause he knows its going to hit until after the apex. Thats too much intrusiveness if you ask me, let the rider figure it out.
Erm, you aren't a MotoGP rider and you aren't riding a bike with 250k USD worth of electronics on it.

It's a road bike with road electronics there to save you from yourself. If you don't like them turn them off but don't judge until you have tried a proper race spec. set up.

#80 ·

You guys really call this ugly huh? :scratch
That's a flattering shot but..Yes

We know they did a pretty good job with the engine but the styling IMO is incredibly poor,cheap.

The tail with it's box shape has no flaire..dull

The bulbous plastic shrouds that hide most of the tank make it look like a cheap tonka toy.

The nose as usual is completely overdone,inefective..not bad ass, just bad.

The wave rotors are a tired look.

as is the green color which is almost always seen running at the back of the pack.

That said...I would love to ride one.

G

#86 · (Edited)

realy dont like these they look cheap beside a k9 which is an older bike,also hate the rear end the designers realy left work early that day, yea about electronics the BSB british superbike championship is loosing all the fancy ecu stuff next year reducing the costs, gone are the fancy electronics like TC and anti wheelie and stuff, its back to rider skills

lookin forward to see what suzuki do in 2012 with the design of the gsxr if were getting one

#87 ·

realy dont like these they look cheap beside a k9 which is an older bike,also hate the rear end the designers realy left work early that day, yea about electronics the BSB british superbike championship is loosing all the fancy ecu stuff next year reducing the costs, gone are the fancy electronics like TC and anti wheelie and stuff, its back to rider skills

lookin forward to see what suzuki do in 2012 with the design of the gsxr if were getting one
Doesn't look like it's going to be a new model for 2012.
Talked to my dealer, and he claimed there will not be a new 1000 before 2013, for sale late in 2012....:cursing

#89 ·

It wouldn't be the only one. Triumph's 675 '12 just came out, minor updates only. They say the '13 is already in the works with big changes (and FY 11 isn't over yet). Honda is planning on a big '13 update also. Recreational vehicle economists are projecting sales will be bigger in 2013, and it's wise for the makers to hit the market with new shyte at that time. Rumor central is saying it'll be like the gsxr 1k from 04-05 change which was quite a difference.

#92 ·

It wouldn't be the only one. Triumph's 675 '12 just came out, minor updates only. They say the '13 is already in the works with big changes (and FY 11 isn't over yet). Honda is planning on a big '13 update also. Recreational vehicle economists are projecting sales will be bigger in 2013, and it's wise for the makers to hit the market with new shyte at that time. Rumor central is saying it'll be like the gsxr 1k from 04-05 change which was quite a difference.
Here's a Photoshop of what could be the new one..
Looks like this is all for the next year..

#98 ·

taken from zx-10r.net

http://www.motociclismo.it/suzuki-gsx-r-1000-2012

personally I believe its another photoshop, a fugly one at that. :dissapointed
Agree. Under the pic on that website (which every year has photoshopped pics of so called new models) it says: This graphic illustrates some novelties first interpretation

I would like to see a new 'K5' like model from Suzuki....something very different from todays design. I can remember when the K5 first was rolled out at the Paris show I think it was and one of the Fastbikes Magazine reporters bursted out: "WOW, look at THAT bike.....we got to get ourself some of these foockers"

Now it's been a while since we could say that about the gixxer IMHO.
Still good bikes and the motor will take any beating you throw at it on track, but I think we need a serious look change along with a new chassis complented with some electronic goodies to the engine.

#110 · (Edited)
2012 1k sticky? unveiling date&place? specs released to dealers? leaks?

I just wanted to get the basic timeline for the release of information for the 2012 Gsx-R 1k.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a sticky thread that can only be edited by moderators to consolidate info and avoid multiple threads about 2012 1K specs and info.

Based on the info that we do have, and based on the past release of information on previously redesigned Suzuki 1k's, I'd like to get an idea of the following:

-Date and Location of the official unveiling of the 2012 Gsx-R 1k.

-Date and Location that the dealers will get official specs and a "sneak peak".

-Usual "inside sources" and timeline of these proven sources getting info and specs

I know Anthony posted the "Las Vegas show" would have info, but I have been unable to find date and information for this show.
I remember when we were all waiting for the 2005 1k, we knew the bike show date and location for the official unveil and there were some dealers who got sneak peaks and specs. I also remember that some exhaust and race engineers had leaked some info and I wanted to get some sort of projected timeline based on previous experiences.

The waiting for details on the new bikes always drives me nuts. Having some sort of timeline makes it easier for me to cope. Sorry if this thread annoys anyone. Yes, I did searches for "2012", "K12", "unveil", "debut".
Thank for any info.

#112 ·
Re: 2012 1k: date &location of official unveiling? specs released to dealers? leaks?

This just in. The new 2012 lk will have a wopping 200 horse power a top speed of 200 miles and hour and weigh only 200 pounds. The techs at suzuki have come up with a special alloy that is stronger than titanium lighter than aluminum and actaully self lubricates. yep i said it No need for oil. They have also developed a new Race control that allows you to push a button and lets you fly down the track like Rossi or for the pansies in the audience Stoner. One critic was heard saying this "I will be selling my children for a piece of that pie" Another one said " I just killed my wife to make room in the house for my GSXR."

Release date to be undetermined

Wait patiently it will be out soon.

#124 ·
Re: 2012 1k: date &location of official unveiling? specs released to dealers? leaks?

This just in. The new 2012 lk will have a wopping 200 horse power a top speed of 200 miles and hour and weigh only 200 pounds. The techs at suzuki have come up with a special alloy that is stronger than titanium lighter than aluminum and actaully self lubricates. yep i said it No need for oil. They have also developed a new Race control that allows you to push a button and lets you fly down the track like Rossi or for the pansies in the audience Stoner. One critic was heard saying this "I will be selling my children for a piece of that pie" Another one said " I just killed my wife to make room in the house for my GSXR."

Release date to be undetermined

Wait patiently it will be out soon.
yea, but it looks ugly

#114 ·

Just a heads up, they are no longer using the "K" designation. Since 2010, they have been using the "L" designation, so a 2012 model would be considered an L2, not a K12.

And unfortunately for us, back in 2004 when the K5 was revealed, we still had JeffW hanging around to feed us all the insider info. Now, we don't have anyone with that kind of pull, so we are left hanging ing around waiting.

#115 · (Edited)

Anthony-
Thanks for the intelligent, mature, and helpful post.
Any info or links for the show that will unveil the 2012 1k?

It was posts from JeffW that helped me decide what bikes to purchase in the past. I hope we get some "insider" info on the 2012 1k soon.

Thanks again.

#119 ·

Anthony-
Thanks for the intelligent, mature, and helpful post.
Any info or links for the show that will unveil the 2012 1k?

It was posts from JeffW that helped me decide what bikes to purchase in the past. I hope we get some "insider" info on the 2012 1k soon.

Thanks again.
all of stanfiem's info was correct. i should know. i designed the thing with a "t" square, compass, and a couple of cases of beer.

you are like the 100th thread this month asking for all of this info. at least you didn't get the "use the search function" reply.

#121 ·

I doubt they change anything but colors
I don't think they will keep up in racing with a 4 year old bike,
this year its going well, much better than i thought they would be

BSB with Hopkins is going well,
World Superbike with a one rider team without factory help it goes well.

But another year with the K9 bike, :( :dunno

they need do do something

#117 ·

Yeah more and more it seems like it's just going to be different colors etc. I hope for much more in the 2013 models

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.