Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

521 - 540 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Since all the bikes have had incredible power to weight ratios for years, and the new bikes offer no major improvement, electronics are the next step.
If not for ABS and/or Traction Control, why would you buy a new bike?

I expected our beloved Suzuki to beat, or at least match, BMW/Kawi for power to weight and electronics.
Suzuki let us down.

Even if you might be right that no bike offers major improvement these days, there still are improvements that some consider more important than ABS/TC.
Feel better now?

·
Addicted to Track
1,474 Posts
Please don't quote me if you're going to take it out of context.
I pasted my original, full post below:

Why not??... you take other peoples quotes and twist them out of context. Case in point the article in Sportrider.

Apparently a lot of other people agree with me that you don't need ABS or TC.

I am not saying you have to like what I like. You started this argument when you said my opinion is not worth much.... Everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

And In my opinon .... Your an Idiot.:wacko

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
True, but if you happen to think that ABS is a must rather than spending the extra cost on i.e a new rear shock....that is also subjective.
Sounds like youre taking cheapshots here. :shifty

Please don't quote me if you're going to take it out of context.
I pasted my original, full post below:
And so it continues....

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
I am not saying you have to like what I like. You started this when you said my opinion is not worth much.... Everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

And In my opinon .... Your an Idiot.:wacko
:shifty

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
This is a no-brainer discusion.... if you whanted more power, single canister, better looks and brembo brakes then the 2012 is a winer....

if you whanted electronics then......

There is no point explaining YOU explaining me wy you love your wife.... same here.

In my case, I ride in all conditions in all situations, and for me next bike will have TC and ABS obligatory!!!!!
but that is just ME.

·
Banned
355 Posts
I ride in all conditions in all situations, and for me next bike will have TC and ABS obligatory!!!!!
Agreed. I feel the same. ZX10 it is.

This is a no-brainer discusion.... if you whanted more power, single canister, better looks and brembo brakes then the 2012 is a winer....
Even if the above is your only requirements, the Zx10 is still the only choice.

·
Registered
690 Posts

if you whanted electronics then......

There is no point explaining YOU explaining me wy you love your wife.... same here.

In my case, I ride in all conditions in all situations, and for me next bike will have TC and ABS obligatory!!!!!
but that is just ME.
100% agreed

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Even if you might be right that no bike offers major improvement these days, there still are improvements that some consider more important than ABS/TC.
Feel better now?
yup, I wouldnt use ABS or TC unless it was wet and I wanted to rail something i'm not interested in doing so for me they are useless...

I think Suzuki came out with a few changes that are improvements imo, 1. they lengthened the swingarm and reduced the wheelbase, which should equate to an improvement in handling that a change serious surgeons should notice immediately..

2. they improved on what was already an impressive mid-range while improving consumption, my guess is not only is the power band stronger its more useable and feedback is increased, they also revalved the suspension which should increase feedback..

3. they lightened internals and reduced crankcase pressure which allows the engine to spin up quicker so not only will you have more feel in the corner you will come off quicker

all this means greater confidence for the rider.

imo for not doing anything they did a lot in terms of practicality, why should Suzuki follow suit by chasing the hp carrot? hasn't the zx10 had more HP than the gixxer for like 6 yrs now? where have they been in the world of road racing with that machine?

sometimes several minor changes equate to a very large advantage, HP isn't the only factor that makes or breaks a sportbike in terms of performance, for instance Leon Camier's test times at portimao were just 9/10ths shy of Laverty's best record breaking test time, very impressive for a new rider who admitted the brakes had issues and the electronics are miles away from being sorted and he never had a chance to fit the softs, his results are a clear improvement for Suzuki especially when you consider the bike is new and far from set up, i have a feeling Hopper is going to be a factor in the 2012 SBK championship campaign...

World Superbike Portimao Test Results: (qualifying tires) 12/01/11

1. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 1'42.7
2. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1'42.8
3. Ayrton Badovini (BMW) 1'43.1 (1'42.5)
4. Leon Haslam (BMW) 1'43.1 (1'42.2)
5. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1'43.1 (1'42.4)
6. Chaz Davies (Aprilia) 1'43.2
7. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 1'43.8
8. Michel Fabrizio (BMW) 1'43.9 (1'43.3)
9. Alistair Seeley (Suzuki) 1'44.1 (1'43.5)

i give props to the Suzuki squad for giving us sensible upgrades and what appears to be a very formidable GSXR1000... :cheers

·
Trackdayjunkie
266 Posts
Looks like it's gonna be a great year in World Superbike :cheers

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
World Superbike Portimao Test Results: (qualifying tires) 12/01/11

1. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 1'42.7
2. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1'42.8
3. Ayrton Badovini (BMW) 1'43.1 (1'42.5)
4. Leon Haslam (BMW) 1'43.1 (1'42.2)
5. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1'43.1 (1'42.4)
6. Chaz Davies (Aprilia) 1'43.2
7. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 1'43.8
8. Michel Fabrizio (BMW) 1'43.9 (1'43.3)
9. Alistair Seeley (Suzuki) 1'44.1 (1'43.5)
i'm saddened to see my beloved Suzuki so far down the line, but an all-Euro bike top 5, and neither of which is a Ducati....we truly must be in topsy-turvy world. :frantic

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Suzuki needs to rob someone or from Ducati or Kawasaki....
both are selling bikes and growing.... but they are offering good stuff. The new zx10r is incredible, the strada sells incredible also....
And the new 1199 has passion in all of the senses and this suzuki comes with more of the same, like when your married 20 years and the same woman comes with a new dress, give me Colombian stripper pleaseeeeeeee.

Somebody is not doing his homework....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Electronics - throttle - torque - wheelie - abs - traction control are becoming table stakes - dont come to play without them. That said weight reduction , increased horsepower and styling still trump Electronics.
Lets be honest Suzuki really didnt provide much of any of the above with the '12 Gix1, that single pipe just lacks any kind of aspiration or inspiration. ( I'll keep my '09Gix1)

Ducati 1199 Panigale hit the ball out of the park - it did it all.
The Beemer has got it.
The 10R has got it.
Aprilia has got it.
The R1 sort of with new electronics but still a porker.
The Honda 1000RR not so much, although stylin still nice.
KTM trying hard.

I think its 3 years before Japan, aka the Empire Strikes Back, only Ducati had the guts to pour capital in during a down market - result they'll sell out their entire '12 1199 production.

Trunorth

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's a rough day in Japan when Eric Buell's new superbike is challenging everything the big 4 have to offer (exception - Kawi). I love Suzuki but I refuse to spend the big bucks when some simple go-fast parts from Yoshimura R&D puts my 05 AHEAD of the '12 1K. There's just no reason to spend the money. I actually like the styling of the new machine but I don't like it enough to part with my '05 or the money Suzuki's asking for the bike.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,806 Posts
sorry thats Camier trailing 1/10th + a full second behind Laverty... :hammer

And they are still on 2011 GSXR-1000's. Those are not 2012 bikes yet.....doubt that that will really matter.

But you'll know when they are testing the 2012s because they won't have dual outlet pipes anymore. Intersting in WSBK rules you cannot change the stock exhaust configuration hence why you've seen so many K7-L1 GSXRs in other race series (including AMA SBK) only running a single exit and WSBK has always had 2.

·
Registered
784 Posts
And they are still on 2011 GSXR-1000's. Those are not 2012 bikes yet.....doubt that that will really matter.

But you'll know when they are testing the 2012s because they won't have dual outlet pipes anymore.
Or they could just have been running their 2011 exhausts on the 2012 bikes...

521 - 540 of 549 Posts