Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

501 - 520 of 549 Posts

·
Banned
17,232 Posts
"You can improve your braking performance slightly beyond the ABS braking maximum by manully adjusting the brake control pressure, and Lee Parks insists that when he was testing bikes for Motorcycle Consumer News that he could consistently outperform the Promocycle braking performance without ABS."

·
Addicted to Track
1,474 Posts
Ok ONLY ONE of the Testers said in their opinion....

"Trust me you will not be able to panic stop as quickly as these systems on a cold rany day with wet brake pads and cold tires - period" Kent Kunitsugu

The article also said..
"An experianced rider, given some practice attempts can stop in a shorter distance than most systems"

They also said that these systems add considerable weight to the bikes ... between 7-25 lbs

Suzuki has been criticized for gaining weight in the past. Maybe they choose to keep the scales lower and count on the riders to use their brain and avoid panic stops in situations with rain and gravel.

If your riding fast enough to activate ABS on the street to avoid an accident... there is something wrong with you! Not your bike! Your not paying attention or adjusting your riding to compensate for the environment.

In the final conclusion ... it says:

"I have a new found respect for ABS; it's not that I would take advantage of it often, but I am now noticing more and more scenarios where it would be adventageous"

Nowhere did it say that ABS is a MUST on Street bikes and no one mocked anyone for not using ABS.

Go buy your ABS / TC Bike (TT C6) and drop the arguement. Just because someone put something in print and you take liberties in paraphrasing them ... doesn't make you right. It sounds like you need them.. and I agree ... YOU do. You have not answered my question about taking a riding school to improve your skill. Your the average street rider who wants to rely on the latest and greatest gadget to save your life. I am trying to tell you that your brain is a more important safety tool than ANY gadget... because you still have to use your brain to activate the gadget. Training (riding school) is a cheaper and much more effective (and more fun) accident deturant.

Given the Choice between The new Suzuki being offered with ABS or TC OR........ a Riding school... I would think that the riding school would be more effective in preventing accidents. Any idiot can buy a Superbike in North America and then go out and kill themselves. Its like handing a loaded gun to a kid. You may put the safety on (ABS/TC) but you can bet when the world makes something idiot proof .... the world will make a better idoit.

Some countries have graduated licences ... starting with for example 100cc then 250 then 400 then 600 then 750 then 1000 +
This also is a practicle idea in keeping people from getting killed on Motorcycles. Not saying I like it.. but I believe it would work.

Suzuki has ABS ... check their SV 650... they have had it for a few years now. They choose not to put it on the GSXR for some reason. We will never know.

I put your Crow in the oven ... set to 350 F
Its a shame that people can't even get their fact correct and then act smug about it.

Again... I am not saying I don't Like the Idea of these systems... Just the Idea that they are a Necessity

·
Banned
355 Posts
Thanks for showing that educated people all agree that ABS is a must for a street bike in 2011. :thumbup
It's awfully nice of you to make each and every one of my points for me and save me the time to cut and paste all those quotes. :thumbup

·
Addicted to Track
1,474 Posts
the 3 riders in the test support the educated position that abs is a must for a street bike.

ONLY ONE RIDER STATED IN HIS OPINION
"Trust me you will not be able to panic stop as quickly as these systems on a cold rany day with wet brake pads and cold tires - period"
READ CAREFULLY ...THAT DOES NOT SAY .... ABS IS A MUST ON THE STREET

they also mock the uneducated riders that dismiss abs and fool themselves into believing that they can out perform abs on the street.

NO ONE MOCKED ANYONE ABOUT RIDING ON THE STREET WITHOUT ABS.... INFACT THEY SAID THE OPPOSITE .. THAT YOU CAN OUT BRAKE ABS WITH PRACTICE

"an experianced rider, given some practice attempts can stop in a shorter distance than most systems"

it's a shame some people cannot accept reality and try to argue against indisputable facts. :lol

Its a shame that some people can't read the article the way it was presented with out paraphrasing their own opinion to it
I quoted the article to show you where i thought you got your info from.... To prove what you said was wrong.

Rain / Cold tires / Panic .... All things that can be avoided using YOUR BRAIN by adapting to your environment

Cold tires... Don't push your bike in the corners or jam on the brakes

Rain ... Leave extra room around you as a cushion of safety and expect to increase your stopping distance

Panic ...
  1. Leave extra room around you and be aware of your surroundings ....
  2. Ride defensively like cagers are out to get you.
  3. Practice emergency manovers like threshold braking, avoidance (like you would do in a riding school)
GEEZE ... I WOULDN'T USE YOU TO PROOF READ ANYTHING ... I BET YOU SKIMMED THROUGH THE WHOLE ARTICLE....... AND MADE YOUR OWN CONCLUSION BEFORE YOU EVEN READ IT... YOU SAW ABS TEST ON THE COVER AND GOT A HARD ON FOR TRYING TO MAKE YOUR POINT.

I DON'T HATE THE IDEA OF ABS BUT AS THE ARTICLE STATES.... "it's not that I would take advantage of it often"ITS A GADGET I COULD LIVE WITHOUT.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Sorry guys I got sucked in ... If possible ... delete all of the appropriate TT C6 and my posts regarding the ABS / TC thing.

I told him to keep his argument in his own thread.
This IS my thread.
I was the one who lobbied for this topic to be made a sticky.

I have no problem with anything I posted.
I'm not the one trying to argue against physics and proven facts.
So, delete your own posts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sheesh. You guys are beating a dead horse here. The bike is already released and doesnt have ABS. There is nothing you can do about it. Maybe next year. As it is ABS and TCS isnt perfected yet anyways. Give it time folks.

Theyre still in the trial and error phase. Do you really want an early model only to want the next best thing when they release a better version that improves upon the flaws of the old systems. Hold out, save your money. Give it time folks.
This. Is exactly what I'm doing. Just upgraded my K6 1k with a full TRC and I'm loving it :D

2012 is out and done for- no use crying about it now. There's always next year.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Traction control or not... ABS or not..... The L2 doesn't have any of it peroid. Does it make the L2 a terrible bike? NO!
If you must have it so badly then thats where your aftermarket cash is going to be spent on... Most of us spend over $5K on aftermarket parts anyway, so whats an extra grand or two? Or just buy you a bike that has all the electronics already on it.

You know the trend with Suzuki, they don't change nothing for two years after they released a new model. So don't hold your breath hoping the L3 will be any different. We have come this far with no electronics, so whats another year or two without it. You know its coming so be patient.

Suzuki will be still be kicking ass in Superbike without electronics you watch and see.

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
This. Is exactly what I'm doing. Just upgraded my K6 1k with a full TRC and I'm loving it :D

2012 is out and done for- no use crying about it now. There's always next year.
Yeah, its not the end of the world. :shifty :lol

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
If not for ABS and/or Traction Control, why would you buy a new bike?
-Better handling from better suspension
-Better engine charactiristics and performance
-Weight
-Better ergonomics
-Better looks

....are among some factors

·
Registered
94 Posts
-Weight
-Better ergonomics
-Better looks

Exactly, better geometry/handling/feel are all far more important decisions to me when buying a new bike!
If i bought a 2012 BMWS1000rr i'd keep the TCS but opt for no ABS.

Still thought 2012 gixxer thou might have looked a little different/better!

Anyway i'm still in love with my K8 thou.

·
12,629 Posts
-Weight
-Better ergonomics
-Better looks

Looks - this one is subjective

·
12,629 Posts
Some of the newer bikes are kind of ugly.

The L2 being one of the best looking 1ks since k5. After the K5 1k suzuki dropped the ball as far as looks go.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Originally Posted by TT C6

-Weight
-Better ergonomics
-Better looks

Please don't quote me if you're going to take it out of context.
I pasted my original, full post below:

Since all the bikes have had incredible power to weight ratios for years, and the new bikes offer no major improvement, electronics are the next step.

501 - 520 of 549 Posts