Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

If your bike was inspected for the Frame recall, did it recieve the Brace? or the Fra

• Total voters
941 - 945 of 945 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
i got neither, the last owner said the local suziki dealer checked it and said it was done but I cant see any where where it was done?? did it affect only certain frame build numbers?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
i got neither, the last owner said the local suziki dealer checked it and said it was done but I cant see any where where it was done?? did it affect only certain frame build numbers?

As far as I understood it, it affects ALL 2005 and 2006 frames. If your bike doesn't have a brace on it, then it means the recall was not performed.

There was no updated or alternate frame that was designed. The class action lawsuit and accompanying settlement happened several years after the K5/K6 production run. They weren't about to go back and re-engineer and build all new frames. So pretty much any K5/K6 frame in existence should be subject to the recall.

Even if when you took your bike in for recall inspection, if they found cracks in your frame what they would do is replace it with another rame that had the brace installed on it.

If I remember correctly the recall would warranty your frame for 10 years, so considering it was started around 2009, there's only about 1 year left on what that warranty would be. For myself I still have the original frame my bike came with, the brace was installed around 2009-10 and all's still well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread from the dead on my 1st post, but I just bought my coworkers clean '06 with 7700 miles and it is at the dealer getting the brace/MC recalls done. After reading through 9 years of posts including the supposed lawyer and the bad English, I deduce that its better to take the bracing and its 2 lbs and ride happy. Looks like the dealer does a "PT" Penetrant Test which is mineral oil with usually red dye brushed around the affected area that seeps into cracks, after several minutes is wiped clean. Then talcum powder is sprayed to bring any hidden subsurface dye thats in cracks to the surface(bleed out) for a visual indication of cracking. If no linear(straight lines) appear after a few minutes then no cracks(if done right and they get 360 deg coverage which is impossible on motor side if frame) I am in the oil business and that is a typical code inspection on new fabrication piping/vessels to detect surface breaking cracks. Its NDT or Non Destructive Testing. The welds on the frames might have been done at the wrong temp/speed/alloy causing lack of fusion (LOF) and that could be a separate issue entirely from horn mount hole area cracks the test does. Also a code PT in the oil biz REQUIRES paint to be removed as it masks cracks/prevents mineral oil getting into a crack correctly. Bolt/Glue my braces on, install new filler plastics/delete shrouds - whatever. It seems Suzukis testing isnt highly controlled with 10 min how to videos on how to do a PT so all you can do is hope they do a good job and no cracks visible from the test. The Steel Trellis Duc 999 frames break all the time also.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
I've never been able to locate the video but the written instructions only say that the frame should be cleaned with soap and water if excessively dirty prior to applying the penetrant. They do say that the outside, underside, and inside of the frame should be inspected. Also the penetrant appears to be sprayed, not brushed.

The epoxy is Nagase ChemteX's Dena Tite AV138/HV998. But a search seems to show it being sold by other companies under the Araldite name. It has a shelf life and Suzuki specifically warns against using expired stock. Yet an ebay seller is currently offering kits that expired two years ago and asking more than the list price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Suzuki-Dena-Tite-Epoxy-Resin-Set-EXP-10-25-16-GSXR1000-99000-33060-/192725591425?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Can't say that I'd want to give him a 5 star rating. I've read that the epoxy/hardener has a 6/3 year shelf life, which implies that his stuff was made in 2013 or earlier.

941 - 945 of 945 Posts
About this Discussion
944 Replies
269 Participants
le skid
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing