Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

If your bike was inspected for the Frame recall, did it recieve the Brace? or the Fra

• Total voters
901 - 920 of 945 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
^Here's his response to my email:
You are correct about it stating the cover would not be re-installed, I missed it, but as to the rest I will explain.

The cover that was not re-installed held the two side pieces in their proper position to make sure that the air flow was through the fins(they were not replaced) . What was happening without this piece in there, at speeds above about 40mph, the two side pieces were being forced out and causing turbulence at the face of the radiator, because now instead of flowing through the fins, the air was also hitting the water tanks on the radiator. This created an like an air wall and turbulence at the face of the radiator. So I had the dealer return the piece that was removed and I modified it to fit back in and hold the two side pieces in there correct position.

The reason I went to this trouble is I live in a desert and cooling is a big problem, especially with motorcycles. So by doing what I did, I regained proper air flow through the radiator and my bike stopped overheating.

Now you state that the plastic pieces on your bike did not move out and I will not dispute that, but I could see mine moving out about 1" plus at the top, but because the bottom part still was mounted as it was supposed to, it did not move.

Regarding the dirt and rain getting up in to the engine area, the piece they put in there is still covers almost as much as the piece that was removed.

As for pictures, I did not do any, sorry and I am a member if gixxer.com, just not on their very often. Pretty busy with my bike business.

Thank you and ride safe.
So he doesn't provide any details about what he did. But the comment about moving 1" is interesting.

The 2A08 recall procedure includes replacing both under inner cowls with parts from the 99103-11244 Under Cowling Kit Cover as well as removal of the front lower cover. Thus there's no need for the "pins" at the top rear corner of the inner cowls that the front lower cover clips onto. When I got my bike back I noticed that the pins were still there so it was not clear that the new parts had actually been installed. I went back to the dealer and asked for the removed parts but got a runaround. Consequently I'm not sure of exactly what I now have. This is one reason that I was interested in seeing the installation video. If the new parts actually have the pins, one way of dealing with spreading would be to run a wire from pin to pin. Bill is saying that the only reason that he modified and reinstalled the front lower cover is so that it would grip the inner cowls and prevent them from moving. But I'm unconvinced of his logic, the gap left above the radiator is similar in size to what would be created by movement of the inner cowls. So decide for yourself.

As stated my front lower cover is gone but I'm going to try tracking one down to see what might be possible. It's always seemed to me that removing it created a gap that allows air/rain/dirt to bypass the radiator and flow into the upper engine area. Please let us know if you manage to make any headway on this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey All,

I have finally had my brace fitted.. Dropped it off at 8am, picked it up after 1pm the following day...

Plastics look ok, I noticed that the radiator sits forward a bit more..

but what really gets me is that the bike vibrates alot more mid range, I can feel it in my legs, around 4-7k its rather annoying. Is this what happens once the brace has been fitted? Any ideas if it will get better?

Look its not unbearable.. but its just frustrating as sometimes it is really noticible..

Cheers

·
Registered
431 Posts
I asked my local dealer about the recall and they looked at me like I had [email protected] on my face. I asked the "mechanic" some softball questions and didn't like his answers at all. Actually I will never go there again due to lack of customer service.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
However long it takes the dealer to order up a fresh frame (pre-installed with brace), and have them swap everything from your current bike onto it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took mine in just to make sure it was 100% even though the original owner was 60 years old, and the second 48. Because who knows they could be wheelie kings to right? Anyways, dropped it off on a Saturday, was told it couldnt be looked at till the next tuesday. Got a call monday morning saying the frame checked out but the dealership had to get the brace kit from Suzuki 5-7 business days, grrr. I was contacted again this past thursday and there was some sort of epoxy used that needed to cure overnight. hope to pick it up today, granted it took a week but at least ill have nothing to worry about (hopefully).

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
Be sure that the reconnecting the harness down there and the wiring isn't where the radiator fan blades could possibly slice through. It's been known to happen...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just picked up an 06 and knew about the frame recall so I set up a date with my local dealer to have it installed. No sense worrying about there being a problem one day when I exit the track for a run off area excursion :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there a website I can go to and just enter the VIN to know if the recall has been done?

Maybe the info is in this post but I just can't read the whole 46 pages right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn, I just bought a 06 gsxr1000 2 days ago which I mentioned in my "Hello to the forum", post. Can I take it to any suzuki dealer and have it checked? If anyone has taken their bike, what did you have to do before hand if anything? Did you have to pay or is it from their pocket and how long would it take them?

SD

·
Semper Fi
502 Posts
Just purchased my 06 a month ago and it's never been dropped as far as I know and only has 9k on it. It's one of the vins that should be recalled and I'm pretty sure the last owner who has been the only owner has never taken it in. Being that I got it used and from a older gentlemen should or should I not take it in to at least get it looked at and is it to late or is there no time limit?

Thanks for the input in advance!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I've just bought a gixxer 1000 K5 unaware of this recall, but lucky for me, the recall has already been done by the owner back in 2010.

So as time has passed, what's to say the frame won't crack even after the brace has been fitted. What have been your experiences as time has passed with the braces fitted?

Also, Suzuki Australia acknowledge that riders in the USA are more aggressive with their gixxer's than riders down-under as they proclaim cracked frames are more common in the states than in aussieland. Reps to you guys...

901 - 920 of 945 Posts
About this Discussion
944 Replies
269 Participants
le skid
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing