Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, once again the legal system has shown me what a crock of shit it is in
this Country.

There's 3 parts to this crock of crap....

1. The Plastic covers that are sold through Super Cheap, Kmart, etc There was NOTHING special about this one , it was clear perspex - not reflective ....or so I thought - anyway's it has cost me $225 in fine and who knows in demerit points....
Seems these plastic covers can reflect sunlight at some angles, and these
might well be reflect a flash from a Speed Camera.....despite coming out on
brand new vehicles etc etc etc....So there you have that - it's a $200 fine
to use a anti speed camera device - Not Bad really....where are my
hinges......

2. - The ticket informed me I HAD to be at Magistrates Court at 8.30 today.
I was heard and convcited at 3:15 PM !! - Almost 7 hours later !! - I called
the Complaints officer re this and he informs me that due to lack of staff,
Toowoomba court could only have one magistrate on today. I asked him who was
going to pay for my time, seeing as though I had lost substantial time
waiting, and he said no one would. As anyonr who has been will know - anyone
representing them selves are the very last people to be heard - well how
come some wegal Lawyer's time is seen in the Courts as more important than
my time ?? I feel like sending these guys a bill - allowing for 2 hours for
"normal" wait time, allow 1 hour for lunch, and bugger it - they can pay me
$50 per hour for the rest ? Anyone think this is a possible ??

3. The Worst part of this WHOLE thing was that - I did not receive an
infringement notice for this offence - I received a Notice to Appear -
straight to Court.....
On this Notice, the issuing officer got the month incorrect on the offence
details - so it read " You are allegged to have been driving down Neil st in
February......(rather than the correct date of March) - When I asked about
this fact, stated that I could be committing Purgery if I was to plead
guilty given the wording, seeing as though I was not driving my car as per
Month on the ticket - the Prosecution and Magistrate decided to amend the
ticket's date as I stood before them both - dates are not important now ??,
it seems Typographical errors are any mistakes the Police make, thats what
it was called - Typographical error.......where as mister Joe Blow makes
same mistake in relation to getting a school Zone / date Wrong - does 60 in
a 40km/h and WHAM ! pays through the nose for it - Hypocrits at their
best.....

This is further crap I just thought of....

I explained to the Magistrate that I needed to keep my licence given my
situation, and that I would hope he see's fit to allow that to happen.
He nods his head in agreement and then imposes the fine.
After the Magistrate had told me the fine, I asked him how many demerit
points would be associated, and he did not know ? - So despite him knowing
my points were quite high - he gives a penalty out without any idea of the
full ramifications - not knowing if I would keep my licence thru loss of
points or not....

How in (*EXPLETIVE*) name can they do that ?? Surely a Judges decision is
the last word ? - Shouldn't the Judge administer points as well - if he sees
fit that the penalty should contain them ??

I am soo frustrated with this.....how do you deal with Hypocrisy at this level ?

Simon.

Simon.

·
FBH Operator
3,032 Posts
Re: Off to Court again....this time for plastic cover on num

Did you ask why a car can have a clear plastic cover and not a bike??? I would have pushed that point pretty hard as it would be your best chance of getting off....

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

As soon as the Magistrate and the Prosecutor changed the date on the ticket, my "case" was looking a bit worse for wear, and i was "Encouraged" to plead Guilty.
The real story was that the cops were bored, saw a gsxr riding down the road and thought they'd kill their boredom. How else would you explain 6 Police Officers pulling a person over for a licence check ? And yes - I did tell the mag this - but as soon as you plead guilty, it doesn't matter what you say.
Being in Court all day I did learn some things though. A LOT of people got larger fines and longer suspensions if they had a legal beagle assist them. One person drove whilst disqualified got $900 fine and 3 months suspended, and a woman who did same thing, rep'd her self - got $250 fine !!!! - I do not know the history etc, but that was the trend in penalties handed out......
S

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

That sucks man, I hope that mine works out better then this...I'm now waiting on my summons for the speeding offence I had around Easter.
I'm getting to the point of saying F the system and covering my plate with my rego tag full time and stopping for no one.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Ive been tempted to do this too (not covering... removing the plate all together) for daily commuting, and i havent even been busted for years. I can only imagine your pain.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts

just make a plate that flips or use a servo motor to turn the plate around.. i have a friend that has this on his bike and it works very well, he made it himself, since he can use cnc machinery etc to make his own brackets

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am NOW going to install a hinge system on my plate, if it's in the UP position - I am not going to fuggen stop for anyone ever again. The Police and the courts are encouraging this sought of behaviour......
Padros - you need to play the wait game a bit too realise where you are at, as i Said above - the legal beagles did not get anyone a better deal than a self rep'd person. At least you will save the expenses of that - and they are bloody substantial - try $1000 Cash, Up front to attend a mates DUI, one of the cheapest he could find !!!! - On top of that - the hourly rate....Crime does not pay as well as Politics, Police or Lawyers.....
S.

·
Registered
524 Posts

I am NOW going to install a hinge system on my plate, if it's in the UP position - I am not going to fuggen stop for anyone ever again. The Police and the courts are encouraging this sought of behaviour......
Padros - you need to play the wait game a bit too realise where you are at, as i Said above - the legal beagles did not get anyone a better deal than a self rep'd person. At least you will save the expenses of that - and they are bloody substantial - try $1000 Cash, Up front to attend a mates DUI, one of the cheapest he could find !!!! - On top of that - the hourly rate....Crime does not pay as well as Politics, Police or Lawyers.....
S.
Man,sorry to hear it,ii just ride with the rego sticker holder over my plate man and dont stop unless i really,really have to,which,touch wood,hasnt been an issue as yet.A friend pointed me to this website,they have an aussie distibutor who sells the kit for about $250 i think it was... Fastags I've been thinkin about gettin one but rumour has it its an outrageous fine and disqualification if you get caught with one.Have a good one man and FTP!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Gixxer - in QLD it's a $225 fine for using any "Anti Speed Camera device" - which in the scheme of things is bugger all really. 20km/h over the limit up here is about $300....

BUT NSW has very heavy penalties for the exact same "device" laws.....

A choke cable and a hinge is all that's needed to do what I plan on doing.....

Si.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Cool man,sounds like QLD isnt quite as draconian as NSW or Vic,yet.
One of the fellas from Balls performance had a simple set up like the one your thinkin of till he got busted with it,but they can be pretty easy to set up,i just like the idea of havin a toggle switch to play with,lol!
And im a lazy bastard!
Good luck with it mate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, once again the legal system has shown me what a crock of shit it is in
this Country.
Sorry to hear about the crap charge, we've all been victims of the morons in uniform.
Only thing to do is to lodge a complain to the Ombudsmans office and if they get flooded with complaints...... we''ll crash the system if every motorist does just that. A moron cop gave me a ticket for a loud exhaust when there was clearly a label on it. I've sent the complaint together with my solicitors's bill and an invoice for my time (1/2 day) together with a "request" that the Police Minister ensure that the cops are trained and educated in the law before trying to enforce it. I also asked for a formal apology. Not that I'm likely to get it but it'll be a pain in their asses! + a record of an investigation against the cop. Help Flood the system so that we don't continued to get screwed. cheers.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm with ya mate. After this debacle, i've lodged a formal complaint against the Police, sent formal letters to the Ombudsman, and local Political people as well as sending the bloody courts a bill for my wasted time.
As with you - I will more than likely get SFA in return, but hey - we might as well make the bastards earn their over paid wages.....and who knows - if every body could get of their lazy bums and send letter's of complaints for stupid fines etc, we might just jam the system and wake some one up out of their fuggin dream land.
I'll keep fighting the bastards....
Cheers Si.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

If it makes you guys feel any better...

Some of you may remember late last year, I got done for 15kays over by a toggie who was tailgating me for about 10-15 mins on thew Warburton Hwy. I made a formal complaint to the state ombudsman, which was then forwarded onto the police "ethical" standards division here in Vic.
End result, an email telling me that I didn't have to speed up in that situation. So, I paid the fine and lost the points.
Anyone see on the news about a week ago, a toggie got shot to death after pulling a dude over on the Warburton Hwy? That was my tailgater...

I lost some dollars and points, but I'm still breathing.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Writing letters does fuck all. I got booked last November for an infringement at a Stop Sign. They were doing a sting in near Homebush shops here at work. Anyway I got pulled over by a road block about 100m past the corner, I asked what I'd done and all I was told that I had committed an infringement at the previous stop sign and it would be detailed on my notice. I didn't get a notice on the spot and it came in the mail 3 weeks later. Sure enough "stopped past line at Stop sign" was the offence. I wrote to the area commander and asks for a judgement on the situation because I beleived it to be harsh and got the standard reply making out I'd just committed murder. Then wrote to the Ombudsmen cc all the previous correspondance and got a similar reply. Now my insurance has gone through the roof cause I am being treated like I run red lights on a regular basis cause it is lumped into the same moving offence catergory. I thought about going to court but not many people are having much success in court of late either for minor driving offences, rather the courts seem to be more lenient to more extreme shit.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Hey Starter, I think the point is, if everyone that got fined sent a letter, something might happen.

Si9... i had a thought the otherday... the dealer plates are carried in a plastic pocket that hangs from the boot. Can you ask the judge at your court case if this is legal practice... what? It is? Then whats the difference between their plastic pocket and my plastic cover. Then proceed by refusing to pay the fine until you are shown proof that dealers have been fined for their practice.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Mate, I had photo's of Police "under" cover, done up utes with the exact same thing on them. When I asked about those, I was told that - the Police would of completed appropraite paper work for them to be legal on those cars, under some circumstances - no doubt the dealer car plate thing would be similar.

I just got a response back from the Courts about my bill - it was quite funny actually, the guy said he was not responsible, it had nothing to do with him, his par t of the court had no money etc etc etc. So I replied - as ya do.....

It started like;
Dear Sir,
After receivving your letter dated 4th of May I am wondering if you have ever considered a more lucrative career ? Any rugby team or even the wallabies would be more than impressed with the speed and grace you utilised in passing the "ball" with my account......

PS - I have been booked by 3 Police officers in the last 4 years. One died of a heart attack two years ago. The other was recently killed in a motor bike accident......

PS2 - My formal complaint has escalated beyond the crime and misconduct commission, passed the ethics standards board and now rests with an investigating officer who recently called me to ask what I would seek as appropriate punishment ! - I told him nothing more than any member of the public would receive for doing approx 55km/h over the limit, and a dangerous driving charge. 12 months suspension and $1000 should do it......I doubt he'll get it, but that;'s what I am asking for.

ps3 - If ANYONE ever sees the police acting in anyway, shape or form that you beleive is dangerous or illegal - then a formal complaint take sbugger all time and is a small way we can fight back against the idiot cops who give the rest a bad name(AHEM). They seem to take them very seriously....well so far...
Si.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Went to court a week ago for wheelstanding....420 bux and no points. They got me for ''careless'' instead of dangerous but i aint complaining.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Which one of you is in todays news? Busted for wheelying down the eastern.

·
FBH Operator
3,032 Posts

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15224619-1243,00.html

How farking stupid can you be????
Sunday afternoon on a major freeway with a handicam - haha

·
Registered
113 Posts

Hey Starter, I think the point is, if everyone that got fined sent a letter, something might happen.
if you think along the lines of that, you are only kidding yourself. it just means it will take them longer to reply, thats all. more hassel, yes, but they'll get over it, its what they are paid to do. will anything come of it? nope.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts