Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Uh, getting off the bike more allows the bike to be more upright. Not getting the bike to be leaned over more...

That turn is tricky for sure.
First part....... I think you might have misinterpreted what I said. I meant getting ME lower, not the bike.

I have always said if I crash there it would be that corner. I run :03s there, and feel the bike slide quit a bit in that corner. But the rest of the track it works PERFECT with the setup I have for Tally.

funny thing is I have crashed there twice. Once avoiding T-boning a guy who parked in the chicane and turned in WAYYyy early as I was making an inside pas. the other time was going into T-1. I run higher up there than most, and the guy ahead of me was moving much slower and set up down at the apron, so I thought I would rail around him up top. He spooked when he tipped in, and stood up right into me. :hammer

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Keith Code is sometimes wrong, as well. There isn't any particular "right" way to ride a motorcycle when it comes to riding style/position.

You can look at the top 5 MotoGP riders and see a difference in riding style. Hell, take two teamates on the same bike and you have different styles.

Style is style. Sure, sometimes it can be wrong for the conditions or even the bike you ride and thus, a change is needed. EBoz's style is certainly unique, but it has changed from teh Ducati to teh Yamaha, but is fairly similar.

Ride the way that makes you comfortable and you'll be fine. Just realize that if you think your style is similar to someone else and they do just fine, maybe that style isn't right for you. Or, if you have a certain style, maybe your set-up is wrong for that style and correct for the "other" guy.

Set-up is key and no matter what the style, if set-up is wrong, style doesn't mean shit.
I agree %100. There is no "right" way. That was my whole point. simply saying "get off more" is not always right. Getting off more didnt work, raising my head some did. go figure :scratch.

My style is a work in progress:lol I have bad form "naturally" meaning where I feel most comfortable, and where I revert to when tired. It is something I always have to keep in my mind. when I start riding on pure instinct, I get sloppy.

Stock foot pegs, they dont drag (even with my shitty style form), are cheap, and in three get offs non of them have broken yet. Just a little bending which was replaced.

And my setup was "new" that weekend. I had just had the Penske re-valved on compression, and changed to a 50lb stiffer spring. It worked GREAT (for the 4 practice session Igot to test it :hammer) but slid some in that corner. but it was very predictable and controllable.... and telligraphed WAY ahead of time. We both know "perfect" suspension if you can find it, still wont stop the bike from moving some, just make it more consistant and predictable.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Set-up is more than just a revamp of the oil or freshening up the shock and forks. You need to mess with chasis set-up - lowering, raising, etc. If you are truely "sliding" in those two turns and railing everywhere else, you should be running sub 1 minutes there easy.

Something is wrong and it needs to be addressed so the bike works better there. That set of turns is a time killer if done wrong...

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Again. I agree. What I meant was the time before that I had TONS of rear grip issues. the bike would "gallop" I call it off of a corner (slip-grip-slip-grip) causing a TERRIBLE drive. That time I was running 1:04s. The shock re-work fixed those issues though.
It was more than a freshen up. It was a complete re-work. We changed the compression valving to suit me more. I run a double clicker, and had the comp one click from maxed out. We revalved it to put me back in the middle range, and added the spring weight to fix some spring tear and the grip issues.

This time bike worked MUCH better. I still have some time to find in T-1, but problem this time was running in practice in HEAVY traffic doesnt lend itself to much experimenting. I had the fastest average laps in 600nov practice, and secnd fastest lap overall in 600nov practice, but that doesnt mean shit when you bin it last lap of practice and not make the show now does it :hammer. The bike was fine everywhere else, and not bad there. The guy I was running with (and actually one session ran away from, in traffic though mind you) ran 1:00 and 1:01 in the races, and won both the races I would have been in. I never made it to the race that weekend, and thus never got one single clean lap. is that to say I could run :01s or better? who knows. Ill find out next time.

I know I am still leaving time out there. And have TONS to learn still.. and tons of work to do.

does the learning and work ever stop though.......... ;)

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Uh, getting off the bike more allows the bike to be more upright. Not getting the bike to be leaned over more...
Just didn't want this finer point to go unnoticed. I see a lot of guys hanging off like spider monkeys...and then utterly blowing any advantage out their asses by bringing the damn bike with them instead of leaving the bike upright.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
16 Participants
poacher
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing