Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys here is the back story.

Bought this GSXR a couple of months ago, non runner. it would fart and cough but not run.

After getting it home, I pulled the tank off, and put fuel directly in each fuel line. The bike fired up and ran great on all 4 cyl, rev'd up great, sounded good.

Seemed the petcock wasn't working when the vacuum was applied, it would flow ok on prime.

I pulled the petcock apart, it looked great, I cleaned everything anyway and put it back together, seemed to work fine then on the bench, Fuel tank was clean, all the fuel I drained was clean.

I put the tank back on the bike with fresh fuel, and ran it on the stand 2 or 3 times, but it started to run worse again each time I fired it up.

Yesterday I tried to start it and it was back to its non start & fart routine. Eventually got her to fire and run with no choke and a bit of throttle, but it will only run on 1 cyl (#2) and wont idle. It also will NOT Rev up at all. full throttle or only a bit of throttle its barely above idle and the rpm's do not change at all.

Pulled the tank back off and now its no different even if I feed the fuel lines from a seperate source, I also get no different result if I use starting spray in cyl 1,3 and 4 (opened up the air box) those cyl's dont seem to want to fire. (Flooded?), using sarting spray on cyl #2 killed the bike.

So...what say you all, place your bets.

Is it fuel or electrics ?

I have not pulled any plugs, not checked for spark etc yet. but let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Flooded, the spark plugs will be wet with fuel, what do the plugs look like ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill be pulling the plugs tomorrow to see whats up there, check spark etc.

Got tied up with Farm work today and couldn't get at her.

Reactions: craigfer63

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, heres what I see so far.

2 coils...one looks connected to cylinder #1 & #4, the other connected to cyl #2 & #3

which is not what I expected...I expected 1&3 and 2&4 ---- ill check the shop manual on that

Never the less

Pulled plugs 1&4 as they were easiest to remove.

I fired the bike and it started immediately running on #2 with no hesitation - I noted that 1 & 4 plugs were also sparking (I had them grounded on the valve cover).

Cyl 1 was wet when I pulled the plug, Cyl 4 was dry.

So im going to look more at fuel at this point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it the HT wires are correct. 1&4. on one coil and 2&3 on the other

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,405 Posts
The firing order is 1-3-4-2
#1 & #4 are running mates and in time with each other, but when #1 is at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke...#4 is on the exhaust stroke. The same applies to #2 & #3
It is also a wasted spark system with the dual coils - both 1-4 and 2-3 fire in pairs. The cylinder that is on the exhaust stroke just has no fuel to burn.
You're going to have to pull the carbs next and inspect them, check float heights etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Carbs will come out be torn down completely and they will go in my ultrasonic cleaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts