Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m losing my mind chasing this non starting issue. I’m 2 seconds from flying off the handle. I’m almost to the point where I envision kicking my bike over, hooking a chain to the rear rim and proceeding to drag it down the street at 80mph. I’m obviously not a mechanic and a new rider to boot. But I got hooked on the feeling my 02 GSXR 750 gives me and desperately need to figure this out. YouTube has just lead me in circles chasing potential issues that end up not being the issue. Im hoping that there are truly knowledgeable GSXR enthusiasts here who can take a few mins to get me back on two wheels.

(Here’s the backstory as my problem started to manifest.
(Problem) At 1st my bike Would intermittently start.
(Solution 1) Held starter button down up to 30 secs b4 it would start.
(Solution 2) Flipped head lights to high beam then it would start.
(Solution) 3) Turn handle bars hard until they slammed at their point of limit. It would Jostle something and then the bike would start.

(Eventually all these ghetto remedies quit working so I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole and ended up buying the parts & doing the work listed below.)
1.) Checked fuses.

2.) Bought & installed a used but (Tested) oem starter. Hooked a hot lead to starter to verify it works. Didnt start.

3.) Bought a cheap Chinese starter relay. Didnt start.

4.) Bought a new battery. 100% charged. Didn’t start

5.) Disassembled starter button housing. Broke down starter button & cleaned contact points. Didn’t start.

6.) Removed bikes main ground & cleaned points of contact. Still didn’t start.

I went into rage mode when I checked to see if the starter relay was getting power. I grounded the multi meter to the same grounding point that the negative lead off the battery grounds to. Put the multi meter to 20vDC Ohms then touched the positive lead to the positive lead that goes into the relay. Nothing. 0.00. How can I have a brand new battery, hook it up to the starter relay but get nothing?

1st off… This multi meter is whooping my ass
2ndly I’ve swapped out All of my previous parts that I thought was the issue that probably still worked and replace them. Next I’m gonna have to break down and buy a new starter button harness. You would think that replacing everything that has to do with the starter would fix the issue but it hasn’t. what am I missing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your starter button by checking for continuity first and then check that you have battery voltage at the starter relay, when you press the button.
Thank you kindly for your reply. Seeming as how it’s Thanksgiving I’m a little tied up. I’m waiting for my Ol’ lady to be a few cocktails deep b4 I sneak into the garage to try your suggestions. I’ll post a step by step & the meters readings I got momentarily. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.🙏🏻

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
welp, wiggling the wires and having it react may mean something? my 750 SRAD FI did the same thing, no jokes, finally for giggles as I was holding the start button I reached down and wiggled wires and wallah, she turned over and fired up!

I started it like this many times then finally decided to get the right control as that's what side it was then I CLEANED everything, all connectors packed with dielectric and its worked since, I also replaced the clutch sensor, all at once..

wiggle those wires with button pressed.. just for giggles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts