Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, another day, another dilema. I have a 99 gsxr750 and am gonna raise the rear a little. While ive found great info on how to do this, no one has mentioned the technical side of it - that is - the size i would need for the washers (or spacer if i could ever find em)
i guess i could just start taking it apart and figure it out after its apart, but im the type that likes to have the solution ready (or several close variations thereof). Can anyone tell me the size of the rear shock mount nut for my gixxer so i can hit home depot and get some washers??,, or better yet......what and where can i get some spacer of sort???
a friend told me to just buy another nut (same as what is on there) to act as a washer under the mount, but id rather not screw anything else onto it unless it's necessary.

dammn that took a long time to type.........

hope to here from someone (FREAK,JEFF,JAY,etc.) soon

thanks for reading this!!

[ 06-12-2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: eSeMeS750WX ]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi

A common mod is to machine a spacer 5-7mm thick and place that between the top of the shock and it's mount. But as you say you could use washers to build the height up.

The ride height will go up by a factor of approximately 3, this is all to do with the suspension linkages gearing ie 5mm spacer gives 15mm increase in bike height at the back ('jacks up the back')!

I was told this by afew suspension technicians, it makes the bike turn in better, and I have no complaints. Looks cool too!

Don't go over 7mm of spacers or things can get weird!

cheers

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GR8,.......THANKS FOR THE ADVICE,
J/K!! NOW IM WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER THE QUESTIONS IN THIS POST...........

·
Registered
141 Posts
the nut is a 27mm i believe and the outside diameter of the shank is approximately 20mm which puts it slighty larger than 7/8 washer. i looked at homedepot the other day and couldn't find what i needed for my '01 600, but remembered making some for my '99. i cut the washer so all i had to do was loosen the nut, and relieve the weight off the shock. then i took some needle nose pliers or hemostats and simply slipped the washer in-place. be careful not to shim too much at first, cuz eventually you'll loose enough threads on top of nut, whick has a little locking shim! good luck!

also, Lockhart Phillips makes a mount that is 5mm taller, don't think it comes with shims though!

[ 06-13-2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: desert rat ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts