Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im trying to locate the wiring for the number plate light.
Its had the rear mudguard removed and tidied up, and a couple of LED's installed.
The previous owner just never hooked them up.
Is the plug shown in the image the correct one? the wiring is black/white + gray
The other reason I ask, is that the output is only 1-2 v

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did you ever get anywhere with this?
I just installed the Yosh fender eliminator. I pulled the pins out of the factory license light connector and soldered the Yosh wires to the pins, ran them through the OEM sheathing (shortened and inch or so), then reinstalled the pins in the connector and plugged it back into the harness connector. Black/white is ground, grey on the light side/red on the harness side is power.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,783 Posts
The K6 600 wiring diagram shows Br and Bl from the main harness to the connector and B on both leads to the license plate light. On my K6 1000 it's Gr and B/W to the light. There are these complications:
-The Br lead also supplies 12 V to the tail light, position lights, and turn signals.
-The Bl ground lead runs to the six pin connector for the rear harness where it ties into a ground. Consequently the license plate light won't work unless the six pin connector is also plugged in. That might be what the OP's 1-2 V was about.
-The connector is a Mitsubishi Ultra Compact type that is also in wide use by Suzuki for the front turn signals (grey body on left, black on right). Idiots that are too lazy to disconnect the two halves for the license light just yank it apart, leaving bare wires to short out and leaving you looking for connector halves and/or pins to put things back together. If you see a bare Br and Bl lead back around the tool kit, a hammer mechanic has been at work.
-The connector bodies are available from K&L Supply (packs of 100) but the pins are not (the female may now be). The only source for them that I know of is Eastern Beaver. The connector color isn't important but I think that Suzuki likes to use white for the license light. I only see black in the aftermarket so white may be the mark of an OEM connector.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The K6 600 wiring diagram shows Br and Bl from the main harness to the connector and B on both leads to the license plate light. On my K6 1000 it's Gr and B/W to the light. There are these complications:
-The Br lead also supplies 12 V to the tail light, position lights, and turn signals.
-The Bl ground lead runs to the six pin connector for the rear harness where it ties into a ground. Consequently the license plate light won't work unless the six pin connector is also plugged in. That might be what the OP's 1-2 V was about.
-The connector is a Mitsubishi Ultra Compact type that is also in wide use by Suzuki for the front for the turn signals (grey body on left/black on right). Idiots that are too lazy to disconnect the two halves for the license light just yank it apart, leaving bare wires to short out and leaving you looking for connector halves and/or pins to put things back together. If you see a bare Br and Bl lead back around the tool kit, a hammer mechanic has been at work.
-The connector bodies are available from K&L Supply (packs of 100) but the pins are not (the female may now be). The only source for them that I know of is Eastern Beaver.
Good info BillV! I was working on a '18 750. I was not able to locate the female pins (plate light side), so I reused the stock. Getting the factory wires out of them was a PITA. They are very small and I had no way of properly crimping the wires to them, so I used solder.
I used a test light with the ignition on to verify which side was ground and which side was power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts