Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided that I'd better get it done while my wife is willing to let me spend the time and money. And before it gets too cold in the garage...

Here's what I'm going to do. I've got a cooler from a TL (eBay) and my local salvage yard sold me the "Y"-line for $40. I want to save the original "Y"-line in the unlikely event this project failed. And if I ever need to sell the motor I can do so without having to let go of the modifications.

Last night I fired up the torch and sweated the three ends of the "Y" off. I then sweated the banjoes off the short line that came with the TL cooler. It came as a surprise to see that the banjoes don't have the line brazed into them as the other cooler lines did. (see other project post) These banjoes were cast and the hose end (also called a "barb" end) was machined to match a -8 diameter.

I took a look at the routing and went over to Aeroquip for the fittings. $83 later I've got 4 -8 clamps (on left side of image), a -8 "T"-fitting, 2 90 degree -8 AN fittings, and an inline -8 AN fitting.

I hate have to stop in the middle of a project just to go to work.

I'll update as the work progresses. I hope to have it mounted under the seat by Monday afternoon.

·
Banned
982 Posts
They do sell that 'Y' You were sweating on,made especially for the GSXR!!

But,I guess it's a little to late now!!
Your using aircraft "AN & MS fittings"?
Aircraft shit cost lots of money!!
Next time You need fitting,I'm a US Dealer for these Guys!! www.bsr-aerotek.com

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Joey-GSXR1100 ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeez Joey! Did you dip the whole motor in chrome?

I was doing the math on those parts from the UK and they end up being alot more expensive than the AN (army/navy) fittings I'm using.

They're probably made by the same people. Each part has AAAAA imprinted in the nut face on the AN fittings.

I do like the flange take offs in aluminum. A riding budy of mine used to race 750's back in the early 90's. (he just traded his TLR for a gixxer Thou) He put me on to Earl's for the complete kit that included the nice aluminum flange take offs. I called Earl's here in the US and they just don't have them any more. Neither did Competition Accessories.

I don't mind doing low temp silver brazing. I really enjoy it actually. I just wish had a machine shop and a nice TIG/MIG set up.

I'd have to quit the lab job then.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Tip: you don't buy the works from the guys in the UK. For example, I have a pair of fittings by Earls UK that attach to the standard water pumper/Tl coolers and end in -8. The rest you buy in the USA (eg Earl's Indy etc., Joey's shop etc etc.... -8 shit is pretty common).

Just stick with the fussy little motorcycle only shit that they make. I picked up a couple of new Earl's oil filler cap replacements, gives you a -8 male end to run an additional (and much needed!) crank vent hose for cheap from Earl's UK. When I need to make the shit up, I order from Earl's USA....waaaaay cheaper. PS: the oil filler caps were cheap anyway

1 - 5 of 5 Posts