Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found nothing current to my topic on here.

Heard this track (Jennings) is pretty technical but also abrasive.

I've only been to NYST (when I was living in NY) a couple of times, so I'm still in the beginner/novice group. I'm leaning towards novice since its been almost a year and a half since my last track day and back then I was on a 1000. Here I am in Clearwater, FL.. with a 750 and I'm finally situated after the move, ready to get back on the track. I'm just hoping Jennings is the right choice. I've heard mixed reviews about the track (the owner doesn't want to fix the track.. cracks and patches) and I'm just a little concerned.

Just bought a 2011 750 (my 6th gsxr after 11 yrs of street riding). Feels kind of soft. Buying a GPR to see if that helps tighten my steering. Looks mint and in really good shape, not intending to modify it for the track (I'll get a track bike a few months down the road), nothing outside of some minor tweaks that help regardless of whether you're on the track or the street.. So I'm just getting out there for a warm up is what I'm saying.

I'm also planning on hitting up Barber in May for the California Super Bike school. I'd love some feedback on that as well.
In fact, any feedback relative to my situation would be much appreciated.

:kiss2:

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Jennings is a great track, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

There is a reason most of the east coast MotoAmerica riders and teams go there to test in the off-season.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yes, I have done 7 track days (3 weekends) and one race weekend there.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What I normally do is jump on YouTube and check out vidoes of the track to get more info and understanding.
I have had a chance to speak to a bloke from US that used to race there not long ago and he really liked Jennings but I think he preferred Barber.
Just checked them both out on youtube. Looks like both are fun tracks.

I have been told that the National Corvette Museum track is good fun too. Have you been on that one Anthony?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
No, I haven't. Wasn't even aware they let bikes on that track...

And yes, Barber is a better track than Jennings from what I hear, but I haven't been there.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
No, I haven't. Wasn't even aware they let bikes on that track...

And yes, Barber is a better track than Jennings from what I hear, but I haven't been there.

The guy did mention that he drove the pace car for the le mans series. Maybe i got it wrong.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on how well they educated and adjust us and our bikes during those novice days, both at Jennings and Barber (with California Super Bike School).

In NY, the only training I got was when I asked for it, but I went for a regular track day, just rode in the novice group. I really hope I get someone to look over my bike. I probably have to pay for adjustments.. but I don't mind. Maybe there's someone at the track designated to do that kind of work.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Who did you ride with at NYST? Most orgs offer a new rider school.

Who is hosting the days at Jennings and Barber?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
at NYST: the instructors on hand and Pete from Bad Kitty

Jennings doesn't list who's hosting on April 15

Barber has California Super Bike School hosting on May 29

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Ah, gotcha. I am not a fan of track-run days, I like riding with an organization.

The CSS will be good though, they have great coaches.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
other than CSS, you have any recommendations?
Sportbike Track Time is a great org, and has a fantastic beginner school. There are a few of their coaches on here, and I have ridden with them on numerous occasions.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
^^^^ A+A+A+ ^^^^ I am a Sportbike Track Time coach and it is my highly biased opinion that we have the best Novice program in the land.

Barber is unparalleled east of the Mississippi River. (And then there's the museum....) Jennings is tricky and yes, abrasive. I love it. There are some true "shit your leathers" moments in a lap there. National Corvette Museum is one hell of a cool, fast, complicated track. (And then there's the museum ....) In truth, all three of these tracks are above average in difficulty. That's what makes them so much fun!

Yes, have your suspension tuned. Tell me where you live. I have friends all over and can ask the ones near you who they recommend for suspension.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too am an Instructor with STT and have to agree with K3..... We are well known for having the very best Novice program in the country. And thanks to Anthony D for the kudos too. NCM is very quickly becoming my favorite track, because it has everything.... Tight/technical corners, very fast high speed corners, blind corners, long/fast front straight, elevation changes..... you name it, it's got it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh man.. guess I'm in for a treat, then. Thanks guys for lookin' out. I'll have to brush up on .. everything .. with some youtube videos and Twist of the Wrist.

Does STT have any female instructors? I remember having an inappropriate conversation about my top half and the tank at my last track day. Got me wondering if the experience a woman has on the track is any different from a man's?

K3: I live in Clearwater, FL near Tampa.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Oh man.. guess I'm in for a treat, then. Thanks guys for lookin' out. I'll have to brush up on .. everything .. with some youtube videos and Twist of the Wrist.

Does STT have any female instructors? I remember having an inappropriate conversation about my top half and the tank at my last track day. Got me wondering if the experience a woman has on the track is any different from a man's?

K3: I live in Clearwater, FL near Tampa.
I know Team Pro-Motion has an all-girls school, I think it is called GP MotoGirls or something.

They have some great coaches as well.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
STT is extremely sensitive to equal treatment for all riders. Gender bias/harassment is an issue that our staff works hard to prevent at all times. AND, we have Sportbike Track Girl, a club for the ladies. You can check it out on the STT forum.

I have sent an email out to a female friend in your area who is very involved in a Florida group called Southern Track Days. They do mostly JenningsGP and are a great bunch. I got your PM here earlier. If you'd like to PM me your email, I can forward it on to a few notable ladies within STT. They should be able to really enhance your track experience. If you'd rather not give me your email, you can friend me on Facebook and I can connect you to the same people. I'm Chris Onwiler.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just finished my first track weekend at Jennings with Standard Track Days. The instructors are really good and I liked them, one of the Intermediate control riders is my friend and used to be the VP of the schools motorcycle club. They also had the Florida State Police Motorsport team there with a bunch of instructors who were really helpful especially since they are trying to get more riders on the track so they ride safer on the streets. I'll be updating my Jennings post with more detail in the next day or so once I have time and hopefully when some one I met has sent me the videos from the weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts