Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a ticky noise coming from the top end of the engine, towards the right siode i think, but the race can makes it hard to pin point.
I had the cct replaced, but theres still this rattley ticky noise. Anyone got any suggestions of what it may be?

dont want to go in to the bike shop and ask them to make my engine sound 'nice' - thats just like handing over a blank cheque......

cheers!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Cam chain - even if both it and the CCT are good it can still tick - most likely no problem

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cam chain - even if both it and the CCT are good it can still tick - most likely no problem
one of the guys at the garage (not the ones that fitted the cct) said it may be the cam chain. im thinking i might replce it anyway, its never been done before and ive got 26000 pretty hard miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You can chase down that tick noise and spend a bunch of money and never find it. I had my valves adjusted because of it.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can chase down that tick noise and spend a bunch of money and never find it. I had my valves adjusted because of it.
big job?

someone mentioned either 'blades',
in the engine??? i know a bit about engines, but blades???? i know, i know

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
big job?
Well - you remove the valve cover and measure the gaps between the camshaft and the tappets (covers over the individual valves, #4 in the pic) with a feeler gauge - if they need adjustment you have to remove the camshafts and the tappets. Underneath them are small shims (#12) that you swap to a fitting thickness.

Pic link

Then you reinstall the tappets and camshafts, having to reset the timing. It is possible to do at home if you have some mechanical skill but I wouldn't do it without a good workshop manual. Clymer makes the best ones for SRADs, IMHO.

someone mentioned either 'blades',
in the engine??? i know a bit about engines, but blades???? i know, i know
Blades? Maybe he meant the cam chain guides (#2 and 5 in this pic):

Pic link

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That'll be a yes then!!!

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain, thanks man, i owe you one.

I think from what youve put down, i'd be better off taking it to a shop, its just not worth the risk me making things worse. Im keen to learn mechanics, but stuff like this is beyond me at the moment.

Thanks again. It gives me a good idea of what im on about when i take it to the shop.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Checking the valve gaps isn't that hard and then you can determine wether or not you have to take the bike to a shop. That's just a matter of removing the tank, airbox and valve cover and then sticking a feeler gauge in with the camshafts in certain positions. You can do that with a box wrench set, allen keys and a set of feeler gauges which you can get at any tool shop. Just be sure to do it in a clean, well-lit room - you'll have the engine and carbs open and you don't want dust in there, obviously.

Personally, I started like you, wanting to learn about mechanics. Now I do everything on my bikes myself and most things on the cars. I've had a couple of bad experiences with stealerships. One place installed a tube (my Honda has tube tires stock) wrong so it blew the next day leaving me with an instant flat doing 100kph on the freeway. Another place adjusted valve clearance on my GSX-R and I got it back with the timing one tooth off. It ran fine at idle but like crap when you accellerated. Corrected it myself. So don't trust stealerships anymore, I'd rather do it myself, although I don't have formal training, because I double and triple check instead of the halfassed job of some random mechanic who doesn't care...

·
Registered
30 Posts
how many miles do u have on your bike. I have found that 96-99 gsxr have loud cam chains. Mine is loud, but i gota find out what the other noise is. but anyway, like SVS said, it isnt hard to check the gap. Taking the cams out in the frame is tricky, gota wiggle and slide them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts