Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to start my bike yesterday and got this very loud clackity clack noise comming from my motor . It would get louder and faster as I would give it power (not too much of course) but then it would go away for a few seconds then come back as if there is a ball bearing bouncing around in there. It's not a random sound either, it's tied to rpm but slower. I got out a stethescope that I just happened to by friday to see if I could hear anything out of the ordinary but hell I can't tell what I'm listening to! I pulled the valve cover and S.G. cover off and turned the crankn to see if I could duplicate it to some degree. No luck there. I will say this though, the last time I had my cover off and turned the crank it seemed a lot tighter than it is now. Also, shouldn't the valve springs be tight in thier seats? I'm getting quite a bit ov movement out of them, there's no up and down play but I can twist them pretty easily. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have little idea, but could it he just the Cam chain tensioner loose? My friend had a CBR Hurricane years ago and it would be very rattly until it warmed up. I hope others can give you better advice

·
Banned
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cam chain is tight, I can moove it laterally just a wee bit allthough I have no idea what spec is. My manual is pretty much worthless.

·
Banned
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update- I pulled the valve cover and checked the valves, too tight, couldn't even get an .005 between the valve shaft and adjuster. got them all to where the .10 is snug bit not tight. But the rocker seems to have more play that that, what gives with that. I also had one lock nut that was stripped any idea what thread those are? 86 750

·
Registered
37 Posts
first of all, if your valve springs are loose there is a problem. valve springs are always under pressure regardless of valve adjustment. best thing to do is get an "airhold" fitting, charge the cylinders with shop air 40-60 psi will do and compress your springs one at a time, they should be very hard to compress, if one moves easy the spring is likely broken. that would be your noise

·
Registered
37 Posts
oops, secondly I believe they are 4-1.00mm

·
Registered
27 Posts
The rockers will seem loose (slight amount) due to you working on a cold engine, this is also why there is valve lash -
Has anyone had the cams out of it that you know of ? Lots of times people forget that there are torque specs on cam tower bolts (among other things) and overtighten the hell out of those little bolts, causing the towers to deform & then all you need is heat and rpm to make things interesting. If you have the slightest thought someone has had the top end apart, take some time and check all bolt torque and cam tower installed position --- I've actually seen one that someone lost the guide and managed to install cap on backwards (not to mention stripped a bolt..) this was off a supposed "totally stock engine" and had a weird upper-end noise when warm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts