Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I want to install an aftermarket muffler on my 2005 suzuki katana (with only 14k km)

I have 2 questions regarding this modification

Will I have to do anything with the carburators? (Rejet, etc) and will it damage anything?

And also I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible being an uni student. The problem is that the stainless tube that link the muffler to the manifold is welded to the stock muffler.

I could buy a used muffler from ebay that fits my bike but I would need the part (the middle tube)

So I only see 2 solutions:

1) cut the stock muffler from the needed middle pipe and "slip" the used aftermarket muffler on the middle pipe which I would'nt like to do because its mint

2) Go to an exhaust shop and ask to bend a tube to shape it like the orginal middle tube but it has a bracket for a bolt so it seems like a pain in the ass because he would need to weld, etc

What does most people do in this situation? I cant be the first. The full kit with the middle pipe is like 350$ but that a lot of guap for me right now

Thank you for reading!

·
Super Moderator
17,226 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts are expensive.:cool:
And if you're going go that way, get the carbs jetted for optimum engine performance.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,842 Posts
The cost of fabrication to fit a muffler that's not made for that bike is probably going to be close to the same price as one that does. And unless you find a really good fabricator, it's going to look like shit. Just ride the thing and save your money.

That being said, I've seen kits on eBay for your exact problem. Cut the muffler off the pipe and then take the pipe and "welding head" to a shop that can weld stainless. Then you have the pipe stick-out you need to put the clamp on muffler on. Personally, these just scream "poor wannabe" to me.

·
Super Moderator
17,226 Posts
The cost of fabrication to fit a muffler that's not made for that bike is probably going to be close to the same price as one that does. And unless you find a really good fabricator, it's going to look like shit. Just ride the thing and save your money.

That being said, I've seen kits on eBay for your exact problem. Cut the muffler off the pipe and then take the pipe and "welding head" to a shop that can weld stainless. Then you have the pipe stick-out you need to put the clamp on muffler on. Personally, these just scream "poor wannabe" to me.
#justcallshervin

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
7,951 Posts
I guess I'll be the asshole here:

If you're a student on a budget, I can think of lots of things to throw lots of money at other than making a can 'o tuna louder. Katana's are good bikes but not exactly known for performance. After you buy or have a custom solution made, you will need to have a mechanic re-jet your carbs..... Quite a bit of money just to make a bike louder.

But I'm old.

·
Super Moderator
17,226 Posts

If you're a student on a budget, I can think of lots of things to throw lots of money at other than making a can 'o tuna louder. Katana's are good bikes but not exactly known for performance. After you buy or have a custom solution made, you will need to have a mechanic re-jet your carbs..... Quite a bit of money just to make a bike louder.

But I'm old.

Classic skid.. :LOL:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

But I'm old.
It's my first bike and I'm 23 so like most of yall who been there, I think the money would be worth the fun.

And yea its no Gixxer but its still 11.5 sec. quarter mile so its quite fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the replies!

I think I'm gonna buy the full kit if theres no cheaper way that would work

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
7,951 Posts
Well, it doesn't sound like you're doing this on a whim and hey, it's your bike after all. Make sure to record a before and after, in the same place so you'll have equivalent acoustics for both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts