Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the past week I've been practicing stand ups.
I do the usual left foot on the passenger peg bounce it up on 2nd gear. I have a -1+1 sprocket setup on my K4 600.
I come up to my balance point pretty quick but I feel like I'm going to loop it cause the bike feels weightless once I'm on my balance point. That causes me to bring it down instead of trying to ride it out. Any tips to overcome this slight problem.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dont lean back..use the power to keep it upright and keep your body neutral....try and relax..I keep my elbows up a bit too..this can help you balance..it takes practice

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
yea don't rush.. it takes time to dial em in smooth. rushing will just make u eat shit. lean back yea.. but in the beginning the natural tendency will be to throw your weight forward as you come up. leaning back right away is bad for a couple reasons.. one, more weight will be on your throttle hand, and maybe that's not the best place for it when you are learning. two, it may throw off your correction side to side.. which is done primarily with weight on your pegs.

oh.. also doin em with feet on the front pegs will make you tired quick.. try left foot on passenger peg. might be tough with stock pegs i don't know.. mine were a bitch before i got a subcage

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys.
Last night I was riding them for a bit till i felt my bike shaking side to side and I had to put it down. I'm running 28 psi on the rear tire and I have Dunlop Sportmax Q2. Can it be the tire or is it me?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found out why I wobble, It's because I'm running a 190 tire in the rear which I'm suppose to have a 180

·
Registered
134 Posts
running 190's opposed to 180's will also cause you to lose some of the contact patch so you won't get as much lean out of the tire. but to each is own. keep it up i've been practicing my wheelies too but i need fork seals from the bike being transported but aye what can you do :dunno

·
Registered
15 Posts
thats not going to make a difference i run a 190 on my 04 750 and it calls for a 180.. just get your body adjusted properly and use your rear brake to keep you from looping your bike might have to move your right foot farther forward (i did) and it helped alot as where before i had it where i normally rode and when put my foot on the brake i couldnt work it as smoothly but now its a whole lot easier to use. pluss you will be able to eventually learn how to get to bp and ride slower longer wheelies. but also be aware of brake failure if you are up to long due to brake fluid over heating or the rotor getting too hot.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
what is your rear tire PSI at? it needs to be lower than normal. low to mid 20's :cheers

·
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis
1,147 Posts
+1 tire width wont affect anything, lower pressure will make it steadyier just don't go to low. Try to stand straight up, don't lean back especially if your running staggered on the rear peg. Bring the bike to you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 tire width wont affect anything, lower pressure will make it steadyier just don't go to low. Try to stand straight up, don't lean back especially if your running staggered on the rear peg. Bring the bike to you.
I'm 6'1 and when I stand straight up it feels weird compared to having my knees bend a bit.

I'm running 25 psi on the rear tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
im 6'1 also and 220 and i run atleast 32psi on a 190 on my 04 750 but yes it does feel akward for a while im still gettin used to it all myself ive only been riding since the begining of november last year but when you get the bike up and can stand up straighter you can stand the better it will be. just be careful man and take it easy fork seals are easy to blow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Like the others guys are saying, practice makes you better. I have been learning since the end of last yr and still not riding bp yet.:banghead Patience, throttle control and covering your rear brake are key, and can take awhile to sink them all together.

I started out with sit downs and moved on to staggered. Yeah it's kinda awkward at first, but the more you launch them the more comfortable you'll get. I have progressed no doubt, but it has taken me some time. Everyone learns different so don't get bummed too soon. Things will slow down for you at some point.:wait

I can now ride first or second gear wheelies, both sitdowns and staggered, although i prefer staggered all day. I'm at the point where i am getting almost right to balance point when i clutch it up, but when i get to the bp range, the feeling starts to get weird. Feels like while im up someone could just point their finger and tap the bike and she'll loop.:eek:hmy: But looking at my advatar pic and my vids, im actually nowhere near close to looping. It's that hurdle everyone who wants to keep them up for some distance, must get over.

Good luck and keep us posted on progression.

·
Registered
56 Posts
one of the reasons your gettin wobbles is because your rear axle isnt centered and could be off a bit. also, are you tryin to do highway or just slow stand ups? get staggared, rip that clutch and get on your back brake, put tension on it and use your brake to bring the bike back and forth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
cainef850gsxr750
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing