Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Suzuki Gsxr 600, wont get spark, fuel pump wont prime. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is where it started. Left for a ride was smelling a rotten egg smell, later realized it was my battery when I stopped, all swelled up, went to start it and wouldn't. I was a good ways from home so I push started the bike, (which I regret on a level you cant imagine). Got a good ways and lost power, rpms on gauge slowly dropped. After a long night on the side of the highway finally got a friend to come with a trailer. I get it home narrow it down that ecu is blowing fuse every time I turn key, so I buy a used ecu off ebay, new regulator, new battery, hook everything up, turn key fuses good cluster reads N only. Cranks over but wont fire up. Checked spark plugs no spark, fuel pump wont kick on, normal headlights wont work, brights will. Only sound when turn key over is coming from under the air box the valves under there moving that is it. Is it possible that I bought a bad ECU? They are saying it came from a working bike, is it possible my wiring is fried some where. Seems like im not really getting power to anything, this is my first bike learning as I go and Ive come to a dead end, I want to test this ECU I bought but I dont know how. Pls help my Gixxer.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,133 Posts
Your battery was most likely damaged because your regulator/rectifier failed and allowed larger-than-spec voltages to reach it and overcharge it. So you probably need a new R/R, but it should be tested first. Naturally, the battery should also be replaced unconditionally.

These are not big deals, what is a bigger deal is that the large currents that ran through your wiring due to the large voltages seems to have damaged either parts of the wires themselves or certain connectors. You should probably get a service manual and methodically inspect all the wiring, looking for signs of overheating of wires or connectors (e.g. melted/cracked/fried insulation or connectors).

Your immediate problems seem to be the wiring between the ECU, pump relay and pump and to the low beam. Given that the original ECU blew the ignition fuse and the pump isn't working, I'm leaning to the possibility that a short developed somewhere in the wiring between the ECU, pump relay and pump. The fact that this one is neither blowing a fuse, nor operating the pump is curious, but an explanation might be that the short managed to fry the part of the ECU's circuit that's driving the pump before blowing the fuse.

Do you see 'FI' flashing at the lower-right corner of the dash? If so, have you switched to dealer mode to get the codes? If not, what do you see?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already replaced R/R, battery, and ecu. I took apart bout every connector checked for burnt marks all the way from the ecu to the cluster, nothing is burnt up in my clips which I was surprised, I have not cut the tape around the wire harness from ecu to where ever. I couldn't see any burnt wire or anything. I don't see FI flashing on dash, only thing I get is Neutral light and high beam light on dash thats it. should I take apart the wiring from the ecu through everything, cut the black tape or what ever it is. I will follow the wiring from ecu to pump relay again, see if I can locate a burnt up wire. Ill check back in after work. Hope its just a wire somewhere and that I didn't buy a junk ecu lol.

·
3,133 Posts
Before cutting up the wire loom you should use a DMM to perform less invasive tests. So what do you see at the lower right corner of the dash, where the coolant section normally is? Also, do you have an O/G, or an O/W wire at your dealer mode connector?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see anything on the lower right corner of the dash when I turn the key on. you lost me on the O/G, an O/W wire, this is my first bike, but I'm very mechanically inclined just still learning my parts and way around the bike. Dealer mode connector is on the rear end of the bike correct? I haven't cut the wire loom up yet so good on that. How do I test the fuel pump relay, could I have maybe just fried both of the relays on the left and right side of my air box?

·
Registered
160 Posts
O/G and O/W wire - Referres to the color code of the wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what one is dealer mode connector, I cant get a code on my cluster to read. Thinking I may have just bought a bad ecu, cant find anything burnt or fried up. Prolly gonna end up just taking this thing in. Im at a dead end.

Attachments

·
3,133 Posts
First find a service manual. (You can download them online with a bit of searching.) The wire color codes are in the foreword, at the beginning. The wiring diagram is at the end. Don't be put off by the mess of lines you see there.

The dealer mode switch is displayed in the section "LOCATION OF ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS" in the "ELECTRICAL SYSTEM" chapter. It should be a connector right behind the front seat, capped with a rubber boot. In the wiring diagram, it's at the top right, next to the ECU. Note that there are two wiring diagrams for two different versions of the bike. On one there's an O/W wire going to the dealer mode switch (and the ECU), on the other an O/G.

Unless I misunderstand your photo, nothing is displayed on the LCD of the dash. That's not normal. Was that always so?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts