Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted my problem on another thread but it hasn't helped so I think this is a better forum to ask for help. I picked up an 02 600 that the PO installed a Hotbodies Undertail kit with the integrated LED turn/brake light. He said they worked fine until he parked the bike back in July. Now, nothing on the rear lights up. The headlight, front turn signals etc light up fine. I pulled the seat and undertail off to look at the wires and none where disconnected or loose. I pulled the Turn Signal Fuse and it looks intact. What would be my next steps?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
One of those crimp type connectors probably snipped rite through the wire. Those things suck!
Do yourself a favor, and purchase some soldering supplies, along with a dmm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of those crimp type connectors probably snipped rite through the wire. Those things suck!
Do yourself a favor, and purchase some soldering supplies, along with a dmm.
I never thought of that! Crap. Duh. I’m dumb. I’ll take the blue connectors off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd cut all that bullshit off and buy a soldering iron, solder, flux paste, and some heat shrink and never have the problem again. Can you get a hotbodies wiring diagram to make sure the PO had it actually wired up correctly? I blew a headlight fuse a few weeks ago. I replaced all the fuse's with the proper amperage and keep the old fuses as spare.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took all of the PO wiring apart and wrapped them better. Nothing. I'm going to assume the LEDs are dead. I'm going to place an order from Hotbodies for a replacement set of lights. No fuses are blown.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,612 Posts
Do you have a multi-meter, or a test light? or are you still guessing?
Do you have power to the brake light connector?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a multi-meter, or a test light? or are you still guessing?
Do you have power to the brake light connector?
I need to pick up a multimeter/test light today. I don't really have experience using either but I can figure it out. I noticed there was one ground wire (Black w/white tracer) not connected to anything. From the Hotbodies install instructions it looks like it may be the ground for the brake light. Would that kill the entire rear light? Like would that ground wire not being connected not allow the turn or running lights to work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should the brake lights be grounded as well? Looks like the turn signals are spliced into the ground wires from the bikes harness. But the brake lights arent grounded.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
As far as I know everything gets a ground. You look further? I have heard. Not sure if true, but some Led's prefer a separate ground. Which would be on the frame someplace. Just guessing. It's not in front of me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know everything gets a ground. You look further? I have heard. Not sure if true, but some Led's prefer a separate ground. Which would be on the frame someplace. Just guessing. It's not in front of me.
Yeah, I kind of figured everything receiving power needs a ground. The PO said all the lights worked before he put it in storage. My spider sense tells me he tried to swap out the LEDs and messed up something. He says he thinks the lights are burned out and need new ones. LEDs don't burn out that fast I've heard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts