Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never post here but I could really use some help. About a year and a half ago I took my 2008 GSXR 600 for a ride.l to run some errands. First stop was about 20-30 miles away from home and second stop was 5 miles from the first. After turning the bike off at the second stop for 5 min I went to turn it back on and I got no gauges, no fuel pump sound and no start. I could not even bump start or jump start it.

Fast forward today I pulled it out of the shop last night as I was tired of them not being able to figure it out. Today I have installed a new battery and been checking power around the bike just like the shop did when I first dropped it off. I am completely stumped as all fuses are good and I get power up to place I would but nothing turns on. Please help.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
I never post here but I could really use some help. About a year and a half ago I took my 2008 GSXR 600 for a ride.l to run some errands. First stop was about 20-30 miles away from home and second stop was 5 miles from the first. After turning the bike off at the second stop for 5 min I went to turn it back on and I got no gauges, no fuel pump sound and no start. I could not even bump start or jump start it.

Fast forward today I pulled it out of the shop last night as I was tired of them not being able to figure it out. Today I have installed a new battery and been checking power around the bike just like the shop did when I first picked it up. I am completely stumped as all fuses are good and I get power up to place I would but nothing turns on. Please help.
Where your gauges connect to the main harness(I believe left side fairing with a flat wide double row connector) pull that connector apart and look for corrosion or pulled loose wires. It is a weak point at times.

If you don't find anything there, go to your ignition switch connector and also wiggle ignition switch wiring for possible short.

A 12v test light would help in checking power on each side of connectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Where your gauges connect to the main harness(I believe left side fairing with a flat wide double row connector) pull that connector apart and look for corrosion or pulled loose wires. It is a weak point at times.

If you don't find anything there, go to your ignition switch connector and also wiggle ignition switch wiring for possible short.

A 12v test light would help in checking power on each side of connectors.

I've checked the harness for the ignition switch and I've checked the main power going through the main harness, I've also checked the starter relay and other areas. I've been away from him since I posted the original thread but I plan to start checking a few other things tomorrow.

Few things I will be checking are TO Sensor, Side Stand Switch, and do some more checking of power coming through the fuse box. If I am correct one issue I may have come across right before I ran out the door Saturday was that my ignition fuse was not getting power but I maybe wrong.

Also I started to get to the kill switch to check to make sure there is nothing wrong there. I feel like some of these issue I'm checking though should not disable everything that's not turning on. I guess I'll just keep working on eliminating one thing at a time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Please describe in more detail what exactly does not work currently, and what precisely you have tested and how. Try to be accurate.

Nothing works on the bike at all. You gauges, no oil pump sound, no start. I just checked all the power going to the gauges and everything is getting power that should but at brown/yellow wire that I'm trying to figure out what it does right now. I've checked the battery and have put a new batter, checked all the fuses and fuse box, tested the main ground, tested the starter relay, tested the ignition and the kill switch. I tried to test the Tip-over switch and was getting nothing from it and feel that I need to do more research on how to test it. Still need to test the rectifier but since the issue happened before I had the rectifier replaced from a recall I don't think it's that. Still need to test the side-stand switch but I am sure we tested that before.

Hope that explains everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How have you tested that, exactly? Did you use a DMM, if so, what did you probe with it?

Yes used a DMM on 20v setting and I've put my red probe to all wire and grounded the black to the bike frame. Now I have not made it all the way up to the gauge cluster it self yet and that will be tonight but power is getting through the main connector on the left/front of the bike. The only 2 wires without power there are the ground and the speed sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I found the issues with her. First issue I found was a ground connector is fried. I unplugged it and plunged it back in and I had gauge clusters and power again but no fuel pump sound. Started checking relays and found that my side stand relay was also bad. Bridged the the starter relay and she cranked. Ordered new parts and once they all arrive and I put her back together she will be as good as new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you gotten the rectifier recall done and front brake master cylinder recall?

Yes but the dealer won't sign off on them yet as the bike was not running when it went in. Once parts arrive and she is fully running she gets taken back in before riding to finalize it. Then a good bath, oil change, spark plugs and some new gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I found the issues with her. First issue I found was a ground connector is fried. I unplugged it and plunged it back in and I had gauge clusters and power again but no fuel pump sound. Started checking relays and found that my side stand relay was also bad. Bridged the the starter relay and she cranked. Ordered new parts and once they all arrive and I put her back together she will be as good as new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts