Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I kinda new to bikes. I've been ridding a 97 Honda Shadow 1100 for about a year. Know I've been getting the speed itch for a while so I'm researching my drug of choice. I know I definetly want a Gixxer.

My question is:

What are the differences between the 96-99 750's and the Y2K+ versions?
Besides being fuel injected.

I could probably afford a 98-99 right now, but is the Y2k bikes that much better?

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
IMO better yeah but you can do the same things on a 96-99 model as you can do on the y2k's minus the fuel injection things of course well the 98 and up 750's are fuel injected and the 600's are carburated up until 2000 so weight out yur options and make the right choice for you.

OH and welcome to the board.

James

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any gixer is gonna be a good bike. It depends on what you want. I have had an 86 750, 95 750 and now a 98 750 (fuel injected). Carbs are a bitch sometimes, I really like the fuel injection, but with that comes more computer controlled sensors. Which may be more expensive to replace if something should go wrong. Have not had any problems with mine yet so I can't say. It has 19+K miles and is still strong. I would stick with a 98 or above. I like the build and bodies better on the 96 to 99 compared to the 2ks. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
you won't go wrong with a 98+ 750 by any means...

the 00+ 750's actually had a lot of design changes. the wheels, swingarm, frame, subframe, plastics, FI, a bunch of internal motor goodies, gauges, etc were all re-designed

of course the 00 750 had the HUGE 2nd gear problem... and I think some clutch basket recall?

either way, like I said you won't go wrong with a fuelie gixxa

·
Registered
21 Posts
yo im in the same boat that your in man, i was looking at the 97's and noticed that theres a huge price cut between it and the 98's i guess thats front the Fi huh? but my question is how does the carb really work? compared to Fi? sorry im pretty new to this.

·
Registered
259 Posts
here is what a 97 750 looks like

here is a 98 750 looks like

the different is how the fuel is distributed into the engine. Personally I prefer FI cause I can change that with my power commander... and in order to change the fuel/air mixture on the carbs you gotta rejet them. And since I dont know how to... I prefer 98+ 750s

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about handling and suspension. Which is better? And by how much?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts