Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First post and seriously what a cool site. I have a 99 gsxr 600 and the bearing for my intake cam got destroyed while doing a valve adjustment (long story!!!!). Anyways i am curious if i can use the cam off of a 97 gsxr 600. The oem part number for the 97 is 12710-34E00. The 97 is the v model according to bikebandit.com will this still work with my 99??

If anyone knows this, please let me know as I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
You can use it but it's not recommended. The cams got changed for the '98 to improve power delivery which was one of the weak spots on the '97. You might have some problems too if you only change the intake and not both...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn, i had a feeling it wasn't going to work, but thanks for letting me know because i was about to buy them.

Thanks man

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so my next question is:

he told me i can use a srad 750 head and it'll bolt right up to my 600 block...!!!...???

is this true?

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
As far as I know, yes - as long as you get the complete head, pistons, rods, etc. The easier way, though, would be to get a complete '96-'97 (carbed) 750 engine. It'll bolt right up and you only need to adjust the carbs for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What do you mean by the bearing for the in. cam, it sounds like you are talking about the journal on the camshaft. If the damage is not too bad you can have it hard welded and reground at an engineering shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theres a ball bearing at the end of the cams. The race for the bearing was destroyed and all the bearings are exposed now. These are press fit and the manual says it can't be repaired. nothing else was damaged other then the cam.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Maybe this is a sign you need some Yoshimura cams...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'd love some yoshi cams, but for $800 a piece i can't justify it right now, im getting a house at the moment. If anyone has some for cheaper let me know, im losing my mind more and more everyday not being able to ride.

·
Registered
854 Posts
let me know if you want a set i have ones for sale 400 shipped only a few track sessions on them before i wrecked the bike. [email protected]

BTW: these are off a 98 750 so if you end up using a 750 head it will work... it's the best mod you can do to these bikes without getting to crazy in the motor. they drop right in and are good for 10hp to the wheel with proper tuning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you know sometimes my friends really suprise. My friend order'd me a set of oem cams. She said she felt sorry for me not being able to ride when they go out.

Thanks for the replies guys. You guys were big help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts