Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok It's getting cold and it's time to put the bike the garage and fix all of the problems with the bike. I went to my dealer today to see what he would charge for fixing my shifting fork and 2nd gear. He said $1500 or more!!!! There is no way I can afford that. So I'm willing to give it a shot. Any advise from you experienced wrenchers? what tools will I need and what book should I get to get the proper instruction on this extremely large task?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops! almost forgot. Are there any improvements to my old 1986 1100-G tranny or gears to improve performance?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Get a Suzuki Service manual, you can find them on Ebay from time to time. It is a simple job and you should be able to do it. You will need a tool to hold the clutch basket to remove the nut off of the shaft. You should be able to use something that you have or make something. I have never had the official tool and I have done it several times. As for upgrades, I would just look at you gears and see what condition they are in. I would upgrade to an undercut tranny if you can afford it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Ok deep breath,firstly there is no need to remove the head or the barrells for this job.Drain the fluids and drop your engine out then remove your clutch then tip it upside down on the bench.From memory there is about 21 bolts you need to undo I use a white marker and punch set to number each one to its position on the caseing.
Once the cases are separated you'll need to remove your gear shafts.This is why I said remove the clutch your shafts that the shift forks run on slide out from the side after a screw is removed make sure you either number where they went or take a video or pictures.
once you have your shift forks you have two options you can either have them spray welded and re machined to thickness (I did this on mine and made them slightly thicker which takes up slack.Or you can buy new ones or second hand ones.
Once slid back on to the shafts do the screw on the side up and dummy run the selection. then re assemble your engine.

My advice is take it to an engineering shop if your not sure
If you have anymore questions
email me
[email protected]
Z

·
Registered
805 Posts
Here is a link to a service manual on Ebay.

Service Manual

It says 1986 - 1989, but it has to be a '86 to '88. They were different in '89.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, it's not too difficult.....you probably won't even need the tool to hold the clutch basket, just get a buddy to hold it with a cloth for grip and impact the nut out....

go through the diagram in the service manual.....you really should replace any circlips that you remove (i've reused them before, but you're really supposed to replace them)...

get the tranny fully undercut while it's out if you can afford it, it'll run about $300-400 but it'll make shifting pretty much as close to perfect as it can get....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts