Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies,

I got some shit on another thread about being in 3rd gear in a parking lot. Let me point out that it was a movie theater at 9am!! It was huge and there was not a car in sight. Mostly I was only in 3rd when I went behind the building and had a long straight stretch. I had seen this chart in the manual and was basing my shifting off of this. Am I wrong for it? Please give me any pointers you have. I've read lots of articles about shift points but I understand most of my knowledge will come from doing it...thanks in advance!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=472409038&albumID=801321&imageID=6643963

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,416 Posts
That shifting is what Suzuki claims as the design to cheat EPA testing. Rule of thumb, stay in the upper 2/3 of your RPM band. For example, if redline is 15,000 stay above 5000. Don't base your shifting off anything other than RPM and power demand. You want to accelerate hard, get your RPMs up by downshifting.

On my 600, cruising around it's always above 5500 RPM. When I want to go corner carving... above 8,500. People always say I'm crazy for going 55 at 10,000 RPM in the corners. You can't demand the engine to work hard without using it how it was designed.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
What TheGeek said. I don't shift based on MPH, just RPM.

Your first two gears have a lot more range than a car does. I don't know what the range is for the 1000 but you can stay in them for a lot higher MPH than that chart says.

·
Fragile Little Flower of Texan Femininity
98,059 Posts
there are two lines of thinking here and a lot of it depends on what kind of riding you're going to be doing. you want to have more spirited riding, stay in lower gears longer at higher rpms.

putsing around town? you can keep the rpm's lower. honestly there's no reason in a parking lot or bumper to bumper driving that you need to keep your engine revved up and in higher rpm's. there's just no need. mind you, hte response and torque/power is going to be better at the higher rpm's.

so again, it's just all in what sort of riding you're doing. if you NEED the power available, keep it at higher rpm's/lower gears. if not, don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts