Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, about 6 months ago I took my 08 GSXR 1000 to KWS Motorsports to have my bike converted to a race bike. I am picking it up in 8 days and I plan to start racing 2014, but in the mean time I am trying to get everything that I need which is why I am on here asking for your help. Below is a list of stuff that I know I need and will be getting over the next 2 months but what I need to know is what I need that isn't on that list.

2008 GSXR 1000 converted to a race bike within rule book specs (had the bazaaz fuel management with traction control installed, your thoughts?)
Leathers (whats the best pair, was thinking about AGV)
Tire warmers
Truck for transportation
Gas

Do I need a generator to power the tire warmers? Alright, now what am I missing and what should I carry extra of?

Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
So, let me get this straight. You paid kws to race prep your bike and have never been on a track before?

Do you intend to RACE or do track days first?

·
Possibly infected with Ebola
3,216 Posts
^^^^ that's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure he means to do track days as he doesn't have leathers etc for the track. If he has done TDs I'm pretty sure he could have answered some of his own questions.

OP have fun out there!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
So, let me get this straight. You paid kws to race prep your bike and have never been on a track before?

Do you intend to RACE or do track days first?
+1

More details please. Sounds like a big waste of money so far...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not done any trackdays yet. My plan is to do as many trackdays as possible before 2014. My wife and I own a photography business so I have a lot of time to spare to practice and get better.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Ok, a couple pieces of advice.

1. Do not start your track riding on a 1000. It is not smart trying to learn to go fast on a bike that wants to highside you the moon every corner.

2. Buy something cheap and already race prepped. You will save a lot of money, and won't be as upset when you crash and wreck it.

3. Take a beginner road racing course, such as Keith Code's CSS level 1, and progress from there.

Good luck, and prepare to spend every dime you have and some you don't have in the pursuit of speed.

:thumbup

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anthony D thanks for the advise, Sean Dwyer is going to give me a lesson at the track I brought his bike down from KWS for him in return he said he would do a track day with me. Also, not sure where Keith Code is located but I was planning on taking the Ed Bargy class.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
So wait, you have a built-motor 1000 as your first track bike?

:facepalm

Sean is a great rider and I am sure a great coach, as is Ed, but I am still saying that the bike you are on will teach you nothing but fear as opposed to how to ride fast comfortably. Keith Code runs schools at tracks all across the country, so you will be able to find one at a track close to you.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Bargy does a decent race school but it is better to crawl before you try to run... figuratively. It would suit you well to do a track intro course with an org like sport bike track time. I also teach that course and one of my own and do one on one days.

I'm thinking once you get out there your ideas on how quickly you plan to race will change. Its not as easy as it may seem ;)

As for the basics. You need bike, leathers (I love my hazardous racing and can get you a discount on them), boots, gloves, chest and back protector, a couple gas cans and a cooler for snacks and drinks and a lawn chair

Everything else is just nice to have. Canopy. Pit stands. Tire warmers. Generator for some tracks. Small tool box. Small gas grill. Work lights. Fans. .... the list gets longer the longer you do it.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Also I'm guessing you are in Florida.
How much riding experience do you have?

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
So you've never did a track day but you are going to race a 1000 next year?Wow,that is impressive :thumbup

·
Registered
23 Posts
Liter Bike Parking:a short story.While riding a track day at Barber Motorsports Park with SportBike Track Time. I became stuck behind a rider on a 1000cc Yamaha, I was riding my 675 Daytona.He left one"Helluva!" darkie on exit from the corners but,I damn near knocked the rear tire out from under him on corner entry in every turn. WHY? He could twist the throttle (Point & Shoot)then grab a handful of front brake to make the corner and " park the bike"in the corner.No cornering skill whatsoever!
Later a SBTT coach who was following us, said "You were just schooled in "Liter Bike Parking"
Listen to those who suggested a 600cc bike and serious track time and a racing school!
That might save your ASS!:nono

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bike had 26,000 miles on it before I dropped it off at KWS Motorsports so I had them rebuild it to OEM Specs, so no its not a built motor. I understand where you guys are coming from about riding a 600cc on the track before you jump into a 1000cc. To be honest it was the bike I had so that was the bike I decided to race prep. I do plan on easing into it and not just jumping on the track and thinking im tough shit cause im know im not lol. If it takes me a year to get good enough to race then so be it, I just set a goal to be racing by 2014 if it doesnt happen then I will continue to work on my skills. I have been riding street bikes for 4 years now, I have never rode a street bike less than 1000cc so I am pretty use to them, I know the track is a totally different story though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I am located in Ocala, FL I have rode dirt bikes most of my lift and when I came back from my last deployment which was 2010 I decided to buy my GSXR 1000 which I have been riding since, so 4 years riding experience on a street bike.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Yes I am located in Ocala, FL I have rode dirt bikes most of my lift and when I came back from my last deployment which was 2010 I decided to buy my GSXR 1000 which I have been riding since, so 4 years riding experience on a street bike.
The dirt experience will help.. a little

Four years on the street on ocalas streets won't though lol. I know the area. Lol.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Your best bet for track days is definitely STT.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Make sure you sign up for their beginner track rider class on your first day...

1 - 20 of 159 Posts