Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I've been street riding for about 11 years now but i'm finally steppin up to getting on the track!! I'm riding my 07 GSXR 750 and if I fall in love (which i'm expecting to do so) I will be looking into purchasing a track only bike pre built. I have wanted to do this for a long time coming but just now getting financially able to do so!! I would appreciate any tips pointers of what to expect for my first track visit - what to bring and just annnnny and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
You will love it! My wife and I started 2 1/2 years ago and we have had track bikes for 2 years now. Really looking forward to next season and lots more learning and riding. You are in the right place for track info, read all the stickys and then move on to more specific questions. Most of what you need to know is in there. Happy reading.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My advice would be to research which tracks are closest to you, then find out which trackday orgs operate at those facilities.

Then do some research on those org's, and/or sign up for an event with each of them - and then decide which one you like best.

If you don't find a major difference in the providers, then just go with the one whose schedule fits yours.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Hey all I've been street riding for about 11 years now but i'm finally steppin up to getting on the track!! I'm riding my 07 GSXR 750 and if I fall in love (which i'm expecting to do so) I will be looking into purchasing a track only bike pre built. I have wanted to do this for a long time coming but just now getting financially able to do so!! I would appreciate any tips pointers of what to expect for my first track visit - what to bring and just annnnny and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Expect to have an ear to ear grin and realize just how slow you've been going on the street all this time ;)

Go with a very open mind and leave your ego at home, go there to learn as much as you can, not to be a track day hero (they don't have trophies at TD's). I'm not sure what track day org you are going with but if they offer coaching or classroom sessions definitely get in on in. Racetrack proficiency is not a natural talent for 99.9% of riders, it requires training and teaching. More often than not you've probably been practicing and perfecting bad technique and form during those 11 years of riding on the street, so now it's time to break those.

As far as what to bring will depend on how much you can haul and what you have available to you. When I go to the track I usually rent a garage space if I can, if not I bring a pop up canopy, bike stands, a full toolbox at least enough to do most repairs on the bike, some spares like pegs, lever, clip-on bars. Cooler with drinks and food, folding chair, one of those portable folding tables, air pump, mountain bike to get around the pits back and forth to bathroom and such (not much fun walking around in riding boots all day) and extra gas cans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm riding with Team Promotions. I'm taking the beginner course - Art Level 1. So what that is composed of not sure...
I'm still not sure if i'm pulling the camper and staying in that at the track or just getting a hotel. The wife wants to come down too but I just don't know what to expect for her too...lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will love it! My wife and I started 2 1/2 years ago and we have had track bikes for 2 years now. Really looking forward to next season and lots more learning and riding. You are in the right place for track info, read all the stickys and then move on to more specific questions. Most of what you need to know is in there. Happy reading.
Haha I've been doing nothing but reading all over these forums!! I think my wife now thinks I live on this site...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm riding with Team Promotions. I'm taking the beginner course - Art Level 1. So what that is composed of not sure...
I'm still not sure if i'm pulling the camper and staying in that at the track or just getting a hotel. The wife wants to come down too but I just don't know what to expect for her too...lol
I took the ART I course with TPM back in August at NCBike. The class is really good. They start you off slow in the morning--you have to follow the coaches and no passing for the 1st couple of sessions. The coaches progressively pick up speed in each session. In between the sessions, all of the ART I students go back to the classroom to go over technique and ask/answer questions. By about the 3rd or 4th session, the coaches kind of let you go out on the track. When you get back to the classroom, the coaches will give you criticism (of what you are doing good and what you are doing not so good) and help with any questions you have. It is a good start if you have never been on the track. They make sure you are comfortable and offer lots of good advice on body positioning, line choice, etc.

I'll be at NCBike on Saturday Nov. 2. If you are there on the 2nd, look me up. I'm a black and red 07 gsxr 600 #619.

Welcome to the addiction!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool deal I will have to find ya... I'm gonna be there Nov 2nd and 3rd and the wife is coming with. I think were gonna end up staying at a hotel instead of campin but not sure as of yet... thanks for kinda a heads up of what to expect i'm goin in blind

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't posted since I went - IT WAS AWESOME!! I went through the ART level 1 class Saturday and rode white (beginner) all day Saturday then sunday was bumped to red (intermediate) and I now have a new addiction and my wife actually had a blast and wants to go to more!! That's a complete win all around in my book... Now im on a hunt for a track bike and she is all for it!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts