Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I figure i should add something to this thread. I jumped on the scale last friday and it said i gained 2lbs. Most likely, this was some of the water I injested prior to coming in and some of the muscle mass I put on from all the crazy work I have been doing over the past 3 months.

We did something unique that I never thought of doing. We did ring push ups! We were on the gymnastics rings and doing push ups while on there (with a stool for our feet) and then switched it up to ring rows. I am much stronger on the rings now than I have been in the past. It's pretty awesome!

I am changing my diet up a little bit for the final 2 1/2 months left until I test. I am going to cut down on the carb/sodium intake so I can start leaning out and dropping weight. I want to drop close to 10lbs in 2 months prior to my test so I can get a little more speed out of myself. This will also make sure I am nowhere near 39" on my waist line.

On a positive note, the AF is considering removing the waist component from the fitness test very soon. It is still in consideration. I hope they do it so people will stop going through desperate measures to ensure they are under 39". It is really sad that people have to come to this just to keep a damn job.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same thing in the army, if you are overweight, you get taped, they measure waist, chest and neck, but the bigger your neck is, the bigger your waist can be.

Oh the military and their odd ways of measuring things ...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I took a practice test today. I had to drop out of the run after 2 laps. I had a very bad panic attack and had to stop. I am going to see a doctor next week to see what they can do. I test in roughly 8 weeks.

I did come up with a funny idea. I might give this a try. Instead of trying to fight the severe anxiety/panic, why not have something to panic about? I should be thinking someone is chasing me with a knife or gun to start my adrenaline and just run for my life. Seeing there will be multiple people on the track, this could work. I plan on experimenting to see what happens.

Physically, I was prepared for the test. I had zero issues with anything. In general, I am over prepared for this test. mentally, I am not ready.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Lately, I have been doing some research into nutrition that can help supplement my crossfit. Being 33 years old, I have to really consider diet way more than ever. Seeing my metabolism is slowing down, I am not losing weight as easy as before. I am looking into the Paleo diet and going to start eating foods off that menu which will help me trim down and perform at a strong level. Basically, I will have to cut breads and get my carbs from veggies and other sources and milk will need to be changed to soy or almond milk. I will need to eat other things for breakfast like eggs and what not. My weight loss has stagnated so I want to drop another 6-8lbs by end of October.

I also think that this could aid me in focusing better and probably drop some of my anxiety issues as well. I will report my findings on or around Oct 1. I plan on taking my fitness test at the end of October.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I went to see my doc earlier this week and he prescribed me celexia for my anxiety. This stuff really works!! I am much more calm and relaxed with everything I do. It is almost scary. I plan on running on my track next week to see how I feel. I am really glad I went in to see my doc to get meds. He said that the medication will not fully kick in until the 30 day mark because it is a lower dosage (20mg). I have to go back in to see him by end of September for an eval.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thought I add an update to this. Celexia has helped me keep my focus on all work outs. I think I had anxiety when I was doing cross fit conditioning but didn't realize it. My work outs are much better and I feel much better.

I feel more tuned in to what I am doing and I feel much better everyday. My sleep is much better too. I think I will lose more weight now that I am not stressy over things.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I am testing at end of October. My supervisor wants me to test around that time due to my EPR close out on the 21st.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Interesting read. I actually take the classes which are more tame than the hardcore sessions the veterans take. We dont do a million reps like the vets do :lol

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
I don't overexert myself as I did when I was in my 20s. In 2003, a friggen PTL motivated me to push myself and I ended up tearing the medial meniscus in my left knee. Since then, I have gone to "low impact" exercises; Eliptical & walking is better than running for me.

BTW, did the AF rename the "Crossfit" title to "Extreme Fit"? It may just be Dover AFB that did that.

Ed

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Hey JB,

How's your workouts coming along? I'm currently in NM on a new job and visited the gym at Holloman...it's pretty nice btw.

A couple weeks ago, I was at Tyndall and their gym is pretty sweet too.

Hope all is going well for you.

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I figure i should add an update to this. I am PT testing tomorrow and I feel pretty good about it. I feel good about it mostly because of the meds I am taking. Over the past 60 days, I havent thought much into my fitness test. Tomorrow, I plan on treating it as a warm up even before I go to my crossfit class at 9:30 that morning.

Overall, I only lost about 6lbs in 5 months. That goal didnt work out in my favor however I did pack on a bit of muscle and strength to offset this. My run time is still about 13:00 but it is mostly because of my running style. I know I can run faster than this. I will see what I can pull out of my ass tomorrow on my test.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
I figure i should add an update to this. I am PT testing tomorrow and I feel pretty good about it. I feel good about it mostly because of the meds I am taking. Over the past 60 days, I havent thought much into my fitness test. Tomorrow, I plan on treating it as a warm up even before I go to my crossfit class at 9:30 that morning.

Overall, I only lost about 6lbs in 5 months. That goal didnt work out in my favor however I did pack on a bit of muscle and strength to offset this. My run time is still about 13:00 but it is mostly because of my running style. I know I can run faster than this. I will see what I can pull out of my ass tomorrow on my test.
Well, I'm glad you updated (and not because of my response). I had to be reminded that while I only lost minimal weight, I was building muscle. So good for you on losing the 6 pounds. Keeping it off is yet another goal.

Man, I'm glad my PT Test days are over. It was stressful at times but it wasn't as stringent as it is now. So I'm guessing you're not a fan of 90 in 90? The things the AF does to motivate...

Good luck!

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well, I'm glad you updated (and not because of my response). I had to be reminded that while I only lost minimal weight, I was building muscle. So good for you on losing the 6 pounds. Keeping it off is yet another goal.

Man, I'm glad my PT Test days are over. It was stressful at times but it wasn't as stringent as it is now. So I'm guessing you're not a fan of 90 in 90? The things the AF does to motivate...

Good luck!

Ed
Yeah i have been side tracked with fitness and many other things. We are going back to a 5-2 schedule next month which will be nice.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Just thought I add 1 more thing to this ancient thread. I was granted early retirement in the AF. My contract for cross fit is about to run out and I injured my shoulder on the job. I haven't been able to work out for a month and half now because of it. I am on terminal leave and trying to decompress from 15 years of service and stress!

Thanks for all those who commented on this thread over the course of a couple years.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Just thought I add 1 more thing to this ancient thread. I was granted early retirement in the AF. My contract for cross fit is about to run out and I injured my shoulder on the job. I haven't been able to work out for a month and half now because of it. I am on terminal leave and trying to decompress from 15 years of service and stress!

Thanks for all those who commented on this thread over the course of a couple years.
Dang JB!

I just got a message from an AD buddy who's deployed right now. He's had E7 on for less than 2 yrs so I figured he was being let go.

You'll enjoy the retired/civilian life once you get yourself a civilian job. The transition is quite the experience but once you get through it, (which you will) the reward is sweet.

I'm on my 6th job in 3 years and so far it's looking pretty good with this Boeing gig.

Good luck and keep on Riding! :cheers

Ed

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts

Which rock have you been hiding under? Was about to start looking for a new Merchandise Manager...

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts

Good Luck and get healed up. :cheers

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Which rock have you been hiding under? Was about to start looking for a new Merchandise Manager...
Yeah, I went back to my old job in the AF and they kept me very busy. I am glad to get out and move on. I am gonna be working for the Navy very soon overhauling aircraft carriers. Gonna be fun stuff.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts