Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hey JB,

You started running yet? By the looks of your journal, you are seeing a change for the better and feeling good about yourself.

Sorry I've been away from here lately...but I do enjoy reading about your accomplishments. Keep it up!

Ed
I am going to run this weekend. I had a wacky week of work with July 4 falling on a thursday. I plan on running up and down a half mile street and see how much speed I can get out of myself as I go.

It is the first week of July: scale?
Due to work, I could not get on the scale so I will be doing it probably on Monday/Tuesday.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have learned a few things about myself over the past month of crossfit. No matter how exhausted or burned out I get, I must press on for myself. Sometimes, it becomes so unbearable that I want to just stop but I have this crazy side of me that just wants to keep taking the punishment and push harder.

I spoke with a coworker who has been into crossfit for years. He competes in tournaments and different races. He told me to compete with EVERYONE in the gym to include the vets. The only way to get better is to chase down the vets and attempt to beat them.

I also spoke with a lot of other people in my squadron about crossfit. Overall, many of them do not want to get into that level of fitness because they feel it is too hard. I know it isnt for everyone but seeing I grew up with the Marines, I have this crazy side of me and the spirit to push on through the hardest of times. Right now, I am having a hard time focusing on my crossfit due to lack of sleep. There are events in motion right now that have deprived me of sleep (to include a heat wave in Seattle!!). I have had to sum up the courage and energy to push myself even harder in the gym while tired only because I know I can do it.

I definitely feel that I trimmed up a lot. I don't think I lost considerable weight but I definitely muscled up! My biggest weakness will be my diet and I will need to fine tune it more for added weight loss. I also need to push up my water intake.

Here is my inspirational video I watch regularly. It keeps me motivated to get the job done and to inspire change. I want to enter a Spartan Race next summer.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
I have learned a few things about myself over the past month of crossfit. No matter how exhausted or burned out I get, I must press on for myself. Sometimes, it becomes so unbearable that I want to just stop but I have this crazy side of me that just wants to keep taking the punishment and push harder.

I spoke with a coworker who has been into crossfit for years. He competes in tournaments and different races. He told me to compete with EVERYONE in the gym to include the vets. The only way to get better is to chase down the vets and attempt to beat them.

I also spoke with a lot of other people in my squadron about crossfit. Overall, many of them do not want to get into that level of fitness because they feel it is too hard. I know it isnt for everyone but seeing I grew up with the Marines, I have this crazy side of me and the spirit to push on through the hardest of times. Right now, I am having a hard time focusing on my crossfit due to lack of sleep. There are events in motion right now that have deprived me of sleep (to include a heat wave in Seattle!!). I have had to sum up the courage and energy to push myself even harder in the gym while tired only because I know I can do it.

I definitely feel that I trimmed up a lot. I don't think I lost considerable weight but I definitely muscled up! My biggest weakness will be my diet and I will need to fine tune it more for added weight loss. I also need to push up my water intake.

Here is my inspirational video I watch regularly. It keeps me motivated to get the job done and to inspire change. I want to enter a Spartan Race next summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0n-DSyKE9U
JB,

You are definitely pushing the envelope. I've never had the notion to push myself to this extreme. You've been around personalities that displayed this will of thinking and that's awesome for you. We all handle things differently and I appreciate you sharing your candid points. Thanks for letting me express mine.

I would probably fall into that catagory of thinking this is too hard. But after my tenured service, I feel like I've done my share of pushing. Currently, there's a new course (new to me) called "Resiliency Training" that all active duty must attend. They're even trying to get civilians to go. My take is this: I've already been resilient and I'm reaping the benefits for ALL those times I had to follow orders. (You know about taking a bite of the shit sandwhich) So, yes...I wanna relax now that I don't have the stresses I had all those years. Doesn't make me less enthusiastic...just more selective of my choices.

That sucks you can't sleep at the moment. Is it cause of the weather or because you have a hard time preparing for sleep? There are times when situations keep me from sleeping but they are far and few. I find talking to someone who I trust very helpful during my time of trouble.

If you feel a change in your body but not a change in your weight, you can't forget you're building muscle. I started trimming down when I cut back on carbs and certain meats and increased my fruit/vegetable intake. Water is basic stuff...just get use to the lack of taste.

Video is pretty crazy but whatever works for you JB. Keep up the great work and nice journal entry btw.

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
JB,

You are definitely pushing the envelope. I've never had the notion to push myself to this extreme. You've been around personalities that displayed this will of thinking and that's awesome for you. We all handle things differently and I appreciate you sharing your candid points. Thanks for letting me express mine.

I would probably fall into that catagory of thinking this is too hard. But after my tenured service, I feel like I've done my share of pushing. Currently, there's a new course (new to me) called "Resiliency Training" that all active duty must attend. They're even trying to get civilians to go. My take is this: I've already been resilient and I'm reaping the benefits for ALL those times I had to follow orders. (You know about taking a bite of the shit sandwhich) So, yes...I wanna relax now that I don't have the stresses I had all those years. Doesn't make me less enthusiastic...just more selective of my choices.

That sucks you can't sleep at the moment. Is it cause of the weather or because you have a hard time preparing for sleep? There are times when situations keep me from sleeping but they are far and few. I find talking to someone who I trust very helpful during my time of trouble.

If you feel a change in your body but not a change in your weight, you can't forget you're building muscle. I started trimming down when I cut back on carbs and certain meats and increased my fruit/vegetable intake. Water is basic stuff...just get use to the lack of taste.

Video is pretty crazy but whatever works for you JB. Keep up the great work and nice journal entry btw.

Ed
Thanks man! I have always been an "extreme" person since I was a kid. Growing up around the Marines all my life helped me push myself to be a warrior. I really wish I went for Air Force PJ's. I would have fit in perfect! When I was playing high school football, I was always the one pushing myself hard in conditioning because I had a tolerance for it and wanted to see what I was made of.

As for the people vs crossfit thing, I understand where you are coming from. This is coming more from guys who have their guts hanging out (in my squadron and around the base) vs those who actually work out and train for something whether it be squadron sports, fitness test, or an event. Honestly, I cant stand seeing guys walking around with their gut hanging out while in my Air Force. Just isn't right! They somehow pass their fitness test too. There are those who train and work out regularly and I have much respect for them because it affects their health and mental well being. Those who served their 20 (or had to get medically discharged) did their part.

Personally, I chose crossfit to help me get into shape because I dont want to fall into the TSgt/MSgt category that fails their fitness test due to serving 10+ years. That is a common problem.

As for sleeping, the heat doesn't help much and it causes me to be restless and uncomfortable in my bed. We don't have AC's in houses here in WA state. Also, I have a life changing event unfolding right now that may help me get out of the AF and do some real good in life. I will not talk about this life changing event because it is very substantial and personal but I tell you this much, IT IS A GOOD LIFE CHANGE! And NO it isnt the lottery haha!

Until this event does kick off, I will keep pursuing my 90+ score on my test and make everyone look bad around me during squadron work outs.

Now in other news...I believe I lost about 4-5lbs in 30 days. I used a scale they had in the gym bathroom and it had me 4-5lbs lighter than I was 30 days ago. This isn't completely accurate because I like to use the official digital scale at my fitness testing building. I will safely say I did lose 1lb a week which is a good thing.

I also had a mental break down because I could not do chest pull up's today. You have to swing your body correctly to get it up. It is more core/shoulders than it is arms and I couldn't get the motion right. My coach helped and I still couldn't do it. I ended up dropping 2 sets because of it. We had 3 minutes to complete the following:

6 deadlifts (75% of your theoretical max; I used 225lbs)

3 chest pull ups
8 push ups
4 floor wipers

rinse and repeat the 3-8-4 over and over for 3 minutes (4 sessions total). I was trying to average 3 sets in 3 minutes but in the end, I dropped 2 and wasn't happy. I don't train to be mediocre. I will hit it harder next week and persevere.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am going to be taking a full week off from crossfit this week. I think my body needs it. Knees are hurting and I feel exhausted. I think it is due to heat. I decided to focus on my water intake for the rest of the week and start off fresh next monday.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I am going to be taking a full week off from crossfit this week. I think my body needs it. Knees are hurting and I feel exhausted. I think it is due to heat. I decided to focus on my water intake for the rest of the week and start off fresh next monday.
Damn. Sounds like a good idea. Cardio is important but I think diet is even more important. If you are working out so hard that you are physically hurting and exhausted then you are defeating the purpose IMO. And I agree, diet is the toughest part. :banghead

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
JB,

What kinda pain are you experiencing in your knees? Is it the front, left or right sides, or all over?

Do you experience pain when you stand up after sitting down for a period of time? I've had those type of symptoms and found out the only way to get to the bottom of it is to get an MRI.

You'll need to see how much cushion is in the lining at the knee joint. I had torn my medial meniscus and X-rays did not show the Docs why I was experiencing pain.

O-scope and supplements (Glucosamine & Chondroitin) have helped with the pain as well as regular walking and exercise. (I avoid high impact and do the Elipter instead of running)

Documenting your ailment will help you if the pain delimits your ability while on active duty. When you retire, this is one of the service connected disabilities you can claim when you file.

I would avoid putting stress/extra weight on your knees because you can't grow back the tissue needed to absorb the shock your knees have to take.

This is all honest feedback for you JB so you do what you feel comfortable doing.

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Damn. Sounds like a good idea. Cardio is important but I think diet is even more important. If you are working out so hard that you are physically hurting and exhausted then you are defeating the purpose IMO. And I agree, diet is the toughest part. :banghead
Crossfit is very demanding but my knees arent suffering from that. My body was just exhausted from lack of sleep and my body was hurting from my workload being ramped up for over a week straight. Taking a short break from vigorous exercise does a body good. Sometimes, your body does need extra rest to be ready (that is why doctors always recommend it). 45 days of doing crossfit twice a week can wear on you over time. As of today, my body feels great and ready despite my long work weekend (it was bad!!!).

JB,

What kinda pain are you experiencing in your knees? Is it the front, left or right sides, or all over?

Do you experience pain when you stand up after sitting down for a period of time? I've had those type of symptoms and found out the only way to get to the bottom of it is to get an MRI.

You'll need to see how much cushion is in the lining at the knee joint. I had torn my medial meniscus and X-rays did not show the Docs why I was experiencing pain.

O-scope and supplements (Glucosamine & Chondroitin) have helped with the pain as well as regular walking and exercise. (I avoid high impact and do the Elipter instead of running)

Documenting your ailment will help you if the pain delimits your ability while on active duty. When you retire, this is one of the service connected disabilities you can claim when you file.

I would avoid putting stress/extra weight on your knees because you can't grow back the tissue needed to absorb the shock your knees have to take.

This is all honest feedback for you JB so you do what you feel comfortable doing.

Ed
I do not have a history of knee problems. It does hurt when I get up but it doesnt bother me as much when I sit down or walk around. It is like the muscles contracted and relaxed and feel "lazy" to get up. Once I am up and walking around for a bit, I am fine.

I think it is a combination of flight line work and crossfit over the past week or 2.

Also, I have had knee pains in the past from substantial weight loss. When i dropped 10lbs or more, my knees hurt for a few days like it isnt used to lighter weight on the joints :lol

I have always taken GNC Glucosamine sports version for all my joints and I need to buy more. I havent been on it in a month now so I need to buy more. I feel like a kid again when I take that stuff!

·
I like to put tampons in my ears!
5,197 Posts
You have to take a break now and then to let your body fully recover. If you continue to push push push, you wear down as you are describing. A few days of R&R and maybe a little diet splurge for a day will do you wonders. JMHO

·
Registered
162 Posts
You have to take a break now and then to let your body fully recover. If you continue to push push push, you wear down as you are describing. A few days of R&R and maybe a little diet splurge for a day will do you wonders. JMHO
I happen to agree...i also think a break in the crossfit routine and doing a week of old school weight lifting from time to time helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My body feels much better after that week off. My knees arent bugging me as much as before. I ran 1 mile at a high pace yesterday and did very well. I have a street that is exactly half mile down. Unfortunately, it is a decline so I had to run back up the incline. All the roads are like that in my area. I didnt do as well going back up and made it around 75% of the way up before I had to stop and catch my breath.

I had to stress test my back so I went at it hard on purpose. I am heading back to my gym today!

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I had a great crossfit experience today. We had a hotty chick at the gym!!! woo hoo lol!! :lol

I am getting much faster than I realized. Taking a week off to rest really helped me recharge. I am doing much more weight on my squats too. On my final set, I was doing 295lbs 3x2's. I felt I could have gone up higher. I plan on going up a notch next time we do this.

For conditioning, we did a full lap of bear crawls, then 3 reps of push presses (higher weight), and then finish off with 1 legged squats...rinse and repeat for 9 minutes. I completed 6 full sets of this. I felt very good about myself completing 6 sets. 60 days ago, I probably would have only done 3-4 max. I had to shut down the final 20 seconds though. I felt upset for doing this but my back was starting to ache pretty good so it was best not to push myself on the last 20 and just relax.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
I had a great crossfit experience today. We had a hotty chick at the gym!!! woo hoo lol!! :lol

I am getting much faster than I realized. Taking a week off to rest really helped me recharge. I am doing much more weight on my squats too. On my final set, I was doing 295lbs 3x2's. I felt I could have gone up higher. I plan on going up a notch next time we do this.

For conditioning, we did a full lap of bear crawls, then 3 reps of push presses (higher weight), and then finish off with 1 legged squats...rinse and repeat for 9 minutes. I completed 6 full sets of this. I felt very good about myself completing 6 sets. 60 days ago, I probably would have only done 3-4 max. I had to shut down the final 20 seconds though. I felt upset for doing this but my back was starting to ache pretty good so it was best not to push myself on the last 20 and just relax.
Always good to have a "Hottie" at the gym...matter of fact, I'm leaving now to get my workout done. Hotties are far and few on base...always nice to get a glance to/from.

Friggin' bear crawls...I haven't done those since "Hell Week" when I tried out for the HS football B-team. Man I miss those days when I was far much more flexible, 28" waist and weighed a buck thirty-five. (Nevermind)

Have a good workout and keep us updated!

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I had a challenging session today. I was a bit dehydrated all week and it could have ended badly if I wasn't careful. When I woke up, I didn't piss much in the toilet so that was my first sign. The lunatic in me decided to hit up crossfit anyway.

We started out with sets of bench presses coupled with ring rows in between the first 4 sets. I was surprised how much I bench pressed. I pressed 225lbs on my final set (3x2) without missing a beat. I haven't benched in years!! I was very happy over that one.

My dehydration problems caught me off guard when we went into conditioning. We started out with 4 rounds of 3 minutes doing 4 deadlifts, 6 burpees (with a 6" jump) and 9 wall balls (had to touch a line 6 feet above our heads) and rinse and repeat the burpees and wall balls for the whole 3 minutes.

It started to affect me on my 2nd round and I had to cut back and slow down. I ended up dropping weight off my deadlifts so I went from 245lbs to 205lbs for safety. I decided to slow down the rest of my reps to finish out the series on a positive note. I took my time and the coach was making sure I was breathing in and out so I can continue. She asked me if I wanted to sit out the last set and I told her no!! I ended up finishing a set and a half on the final round just taking my time and making sure I was ok. I was a little euphoric and had a slight headache but it was good enough for me to at least finish out strong.

I picked up a bunch of Powerade and I plan on hydrating the rest of the day and the weekend.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I completed my 2.75 mile "death run" in my area. It consists of tons of hills! We have this mega hill that I flat out refuse to run up! I decided to make my path go down the hill to conserve my sanity and my strength. I want to run as close to 3 miles as possible to train for the Spartan Race next summer. Seeing this 2.75 mile run is very hilly, it will give me a shot at training for the event.

Overall, I held up much better than I was expecting. My mid-back was not hurting as bad as before. For those who arent familiar, I have multiple facete joints in my back that have little to no cartilage which causes pain (basically it is arthritis). I ended up with shin splints going up the hills. I ended up walking up the hills after I attempted to run up them. That is fine by me as long as I tried! I wasn't as winded as I used to be as well. I recovered quickly when I stopped and walked.

Overall, crossfit definitely made a big impact in my abilities after 60 days. I am curious how well I will do in October when I take my fitness test.

·
Administrator
13,255 Posts
Fantastic work mate ... It's great when you take a step back and rest , if you don't you will hit rock bottom and 'burnout' that's when the body forces you to rest , usually on a drip !!!! (don't ask me how in know)
Make sure you keep that good food up too you , as you keep finely tuning your body it's needs increases for clean fuel and repairing !!!

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I discovered today that burpees aggravate my back problem. I had to tap out with 25 reps left between 2 other exercises. I did discover something that may help.

I had to use a softball to loosen my lower back and it worked like a charm. I did it to my mid-back area after my exercise and it loosened up too. I may have to focus more on my back prior to work outs to see how that turns out. It may actually help me out!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
15 Participants
GSXR7ED
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing