Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this thread on here to keep an online record of my workouts for personal and professional reasons (military). I want to outline my plan for my next 6 months.

Goal: Score 90+ on my AF fitness test so I only test once a year (currently, it is every 6 months for those who score less than 90).

Current stats:
Weight: 238lbs
Waist: 38.5 in
push ups: 57 (max out)
sit ups: 54 (max out)
1.5 mile run time: N/A (exempt due to back issues)

Current goals (Achieve by Oct 2013):
Weight: 220lbs
Waist: 37.5 in (or less)
1.5 mile run time: 12:00

Long term goals (May 2014):
Weight: 210 lbs
Waist: 35 in (or less)
run time: 11:00 (or less)

Workout plan:
My unit has workouts planned 5 days a week randomly throughout the day. The workouts are not too bad but in order to achieve my goal, I need to step my game up big. I plan on joining Tacoma Strength (http://www.tacomastrength.com/) and do their workout system twice a week for 6 months to achieve my goals. They do crossfit style of workouts and I will achieve what I want to achieve with their help.

This is really important to me because I want to make it 6 more years in the military and I cannot do it unless I get some outside help and coaching. I plan on adding cardio on non crossfit days (elliptical/running) and interested in trying an altitude mask to help train my breathing. I noticed a tremendous increase in my cardio ability when i came back from Colorado (spent 6 weeks there). I found some half masks I can wear for running and I want to try this out.

I will keep posting regularly on my progress (as I did for my running thread) for my own personal gain and as a record of my activities. It may even inspire someone on here, who knows! :biggrin

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Big part of weightloss and conditioning is diet, if your not on a high protien high fiber diet start one. I take daily protien and fiber supplement to make it easier. If insterested I can share more details PM me

·
16,989 Posts

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah diet is the make/break of any program. my GF is crazy into dieting and makes a lot of healthy foods. i cant eat anything for dinner without a salad and she taught me a lot of alternatives for some foods out there. she also cooks a lot of interesting meals that are low in fat/calories. she really knows her stuff!

PM me any information you wanna share. I used to weight lift so protein intake is very important, especially with this crazyness i am about to embark on. I like to use ON 100%Whey as my recovery drink. my biggest weakness is my fiber intake. I like to eat high fiber cereals in the morning but I could use some during the day. My GF loves putting high fiber veggies in my foods too :)

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my biggest challenge will be my shift hours. I am going back to my old AF job and we work a 3-2-2-3 and I will most likely be on night shift on 12 hour shifts. Basically, it is 3 days at work, 2 days off, 2 days at work, 3 days off..then it keeps going in that cycle.

I will make this program work for me so I can set myself up. I have 6 years until retirement. I can take 6 more fitness tests or I can take 12 more (6 month intervals). I have to make a change and make a stand now!

·
16,989 Posts
my biggest challenge will be my shift hours. I am going back to my old AF job and we work a 3-2-2-3 and I will most likely be on night shift on 12 hour shifts. Basically, it is 3 days at work, 2 days off, 2 days at work, 3 days off..then it keeps going in that cycle.

I will make this program work for me so I can set myself up. I have 6 years until retirement. I can take 6 more fitness tests or I can take 12 more (6 month intervals). I have to make a change and make a stand now!

Good luck brother!!

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i paid a visit to the gym i want to attend. they are great people there and it looks like something i want to be apart of. i am looking to sign up next week and give it a whirl. they have around 6-8 people per coach so that works great with me. they also help with tracking your diet to see what progress you are making and throw in their 2 cents as needed.

i plan on signing up next wednesday and get into their starter class where they teach you how the program works and teach everyone how to use proper form on the exercises. seeing i came from a weightlifting background, this is second nature for me.

the owner said i should feel some results in about 3 weeks going twice a week. i cant wait to trim down and look bad ass and just smoke everyone in fitness (in my unit) haha :lol

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 1 of Beginners League

I did my first beginners class today. Basically, the coach goes over basic moves and fundamentals they use in the course and taught us how the class operates (and how to read the white board). I had a hard time focusing because this really hot chick was lifting weights and I couldnt help but notice :biggrin

I have 2 more days of learning before I can officially start training but I can already tell this will help me out big time. We did 10 minutes of warm ups and my legs were hurting! It doesnt help that it was Monday too! :lol

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
I am posting this thread on here to keep an online record of my workouts for personal and professional reasons (military). I want to outline my plan for my next 6 months.

Goal: Score 90+ on my AF fitness test so I only test once a year (currently, it is every 6 months for those who score less than 90).

Current stats:
Weight: 238lbs
Waist: 38.5 in
1.5 mile run time: N/A (exempt due to back issues)

Current goals (Achieve by Oct 2013):
Weight: 220lbs
Waist: 37.5 in (or less)
1.5 mile run time: 12:00

Long term goals (May 2014):
Weight: 210 lbs
Waist: 35 in (or less)
run time: 11:00 (or less)

Workout plan:
My unit has workouts planned 5 days a week randomly throughout the day. The workouts are not too bad but in order to achieve my goal, I need to step my game up big. I plan on joining Tacoma Strength (http://www.tacomastrength.com/) and do their workout system twice a week for 6 months to achieve my goals. They do crossfit style of workouts and I will achieve what I want to achieve with their help.

This is really important to me because I want to make it 6 more years in the military and I cannot do it unless I get some outside help and coaching. I plan on adding cardio on non crossfit days (elliptical/running) and interested in trying an altitude mask to help train my breathing. I noticed a tremendous increase in my cardio ability when i came back from Colorado (spent 6 weeks there). I found some half masks I can wear for running and I want to try this out.

I will keep posting regularly on my progress (as I did for my running thread) for my own personal gain and as a record of my activities. It may even inspire someone on here, who knows! :biggrin
Dang JB!

You've got 6 years till retirement...??? It will go by fast...unless this PT testing cramps your living style. From what you say, it's time for a change.

I see this slogan at the gym here at Dover: 90 in 90. Someone explained it to me that this plan is to help score a 90 in 90 days. Is this what you're attending? PT is a career ender nowadays...I wish you the best in reaching your goals.

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, PT is a career ender. I just got over my cycle of 3 fitness fails in 2 years and i start over fresh. I do not test until October so I have 5 months left to make something happen. I dont want to do regular PT like everyone else because I like the hardcore stuff.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 2 of Beginners League

We went over basic movements for some kettle bell exercises and did some dead lifts and hand stands. Our coach taught us quite a bit about the moves and what you can gain from these exercises. He then surprised us with an 8 minute circuit of kettle bell deadlifts (70lb weights), burpees, and russian kettle swings. After 3 minutes of this, I thought 8 had passed! I almost fell over when I realized only 3 minutes passed! I was pretty gassed after 3 minutes! I had to dig deep to finish out strong and I did! I decided to cut the last 30 seconds out because I was so spent.

Unfortunately, I cannot finish the last day tomorrow of the beginners class. I have some work related stuff in the way but the coach cleared me to start classes at anytime. I am looking to start this friday. This is going to be really fun.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
JB,

That kettle bell kicks my butt everytime. I do 3 sets of 20 in squating format...and the bell weighs about 35 pounds...so 70 would not be on my regiment.

Considering I have an arthritic right knee (which I'm VA rated on), I'm just happy I can still have a range in motion. As long as I keep the weight off, my knees will love me. And I will only do the Elipter because I was advised against high impact exercises after having both knees scoped (torn medial meniscus).

Keep up the good work..I know how it feels to have those commitments that preclude you from taking care of yourself.

MSgt results came out this week...did you test? Anyway, if you celebrated passover, I'm sorry. Had many a-days with those feelings.

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not test this cycle. I missed it by a month for TIG.

My back recovered from Tuesday's workout. I was going to hit up crossfit yesterday but it wasn't happening. I am going to head up to the class today (just 1 class today, 1 class on Memorial Day). I have to admit..just that one 8 minute session does make me feel a little bit better. I cant wait to get knee deep in the insanity!

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Well, you've got less than a year to prepare for E7. At least you can put more strength into your diet and exercise for 90 days and then smooth sailing once your body adjusts.

You sound very enthusiastic so I'm sure you'll do well with the goals you have set up.

Ed

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I backed out of crossfit today because it is just a "mess around" day. No classes scheduled in particular. I decided to just take their classes with a set routine for the day. I will see what they have in store for Tuesday.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This worked for me. I used my fitness pal app to track calories in and a heart rate monitor to track calories out. Ive gone from a 38 waist to a 34. I initially dropped 17 pounds from 220 to 203. Im back up to 208 but maintained my waist size.

I do crossfit routines mon-wed and friday and a 4 to 8 mile run on saturdays.

All that said tracking calories in and out was probably the biggest key to dropping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This worked for me. I used my fitness pal app to track calories in and a heart rate monitor to track calories out. Ive gone from a 38 waist to a 34. I initially dropped 17 pounds from 220 to 203. Im back up to 208 but maintained my waist size.

I do crossfit routines mon-wed and friday and a 4 to 8 mile run on saturdays.

All that said tracking calories in and out was probably the biggest key to dropping.

That's awesome, how long did it take you to drop 17lbs?

You forgot about cock push-ups. :wait
Those are easy.

·
Registered
143 Posts

I work the same type of schedule. If its hard to find the time or need a little extra work, try to implement it into your work time.

I lift 30-55# bags of pigment all days picking orders to send out. So I walk as much as possible, sometimes jog (lol funny looks when i jog past other workers) and use the bags as weights.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's awesome, how long did it take you to drop 17lbs?

Those are easy.
Probably about 4 months. The initial was 2 inches off the waist on the 17. Even though weight came back on the stomach still came down but i gained some muscle.

Watch the running. I ran myself into heel spurs and it took a year to get beyond that.

Make sure you stretch. Since going over the 40 hump, I have to cycle or walk for 5 min pre workout and stretch. Everytime i jump right into it now without warming up i pull something.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
15 Participants
GSXR7ED
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing