Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Just wondering what are recommended tyres on a 96 Srad.

I have an Metzeler MEZ Racing on the back now and have been impressed by it but Im wondering what is preferred - namely D207s, Pirelli Super Corsas/Evo or Metzeler MEZ3.

Im not wanting anything too sticky but Im not bothered about changing the rear more frequently.

Regards

Ninj

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am a huge fan of the D207RR. I ride a lot and have had great success with this tire. I do a lot of commuting and ocassional mountain riding. This tire seems to handle anything you throw at it. If you do a lot of commuting I would stay away of the GP 207's and the 208's I have 24,000 mile on my bike and have only put 2 new tires on my bike. I started with the 204 factory and I just put the second 207 on at 22,000 miles. i shoudl mention that i am not afraid to do the occasional burn out. I have never used any other tire than the 204's and the 207's but I feel very secure and comfortable with the 207's!!

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
It's mostly personal preference..and depending on what type of riding you do. Your likely to get 20 different answers from 20 diffrent riders..

I'll just say this..I don't care about how long my tires last..I want good grip, I want a tire that steers naturally, not run wide..ect..I want good feed back, andf a fast warming tire..I run 207's, Pilot's, and now Supercorsa's..I'll be sticking with the Supercorsa's, until something better comes along..Oh..The Rennsport, and Supercorsa are tghe same tire, just different tread patterns..
Keep in mind..I don't ride in the wet..

If you'd like a tire to last a bit longer, lots of riders like the Bridgestone BT010's..the middle is harder than the edges, so ya get a tire that grips o.k., and one that last's..

[ 04-20-2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Hammer 4 ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Bud

I must agree, it is all personal preference when it comes to tyres, and unless you have tried all the different ones, you will never know.

Speaking from personal experience i have stuck to Bridgestone. They have always provided exactly what i wanted in grip, and lifespan. I have used many BT010's, for track, and road use, and they are wonderful tyres. The BT010 has a fairly soft compound, and does not last as long as one would like. The best to do (i have done this), is to perhapps look at the BT056, as it has a hard inner, and a softer compound on the sides. This is perfect for road or track. I found that on the BT010 that the centre of the tyre wears down fairly quickly with road riding. The 56 is perfect in that this does not happen. Also, a BT010 front works beautifully, combined with a 56 on the rear.

I have used both on the track, and they are very good. Perhapps only Bayliss would beg to differ, but for us it's perfect.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
as hammer says, it is all personal preferences, i like both the michelin pilot sports and the pirelli evo corsas (pirelli are discontinuing the evo corsas, for some unknown reason
((( )
I use evo corsa on the front of the TLR and harder pirelli GTS (lot harder tyre on the rear but i want more mileage on the TLR, i dont care if it slides, as long as the front goes where i want it to, but i found tihs setup very good and once warmed up, takes a wihle, the rear works great for a sports/touring tyre) reason i did that as the TLR chews a pilot sport in 4000km's, with the pirelli it lasts around 8000-10000 (dependant on the numbre of wheelies:) )

the gixxer i use pilot sports, i found the great all round tyre for both street and track, whether if it is in the wet or dry.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Death.. hehe yeah I was not doing as many wheelies as i am doing now, hard riding in the twisties i found the pilots wear quite well.. I want to get another set of spare wheels and put some supercorsas on the and take the TLR to the track, as the gixxer maybe sold next month..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts