Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've always loved bikes and esspecially always loved gixxers sicne the first time I saw one and really knew what it was, oh maybe ten years ago, when I was teenager and could actually appreciate bikes, cars and motorsports.

So finally now at 24 I can afford a bike and actually went out and bought one. I got a brand new '05 GSX-R600, in blue and white (the fastest colors) almost 2 weeks ago. So far I absolutly love the bike, I havent gone far on it yet, bought it with zero miles on right, literally fresh out of the crate, and now have a whopping 17 miles on it, at a top speed of *gasp* 32MPH! :eep: I love every second I spend around the bike, even if its just looking at it before I get into my car and drive to work, still not up the task of riding it that far yet, trying to take baby steps with it.

As of now I've only taken it to the college parking lot across the street on the weekends when theres no cars around and to the gas station down the street from my house to get cigarettes (3 turns each way, counting pulling in and out of my driveway and the parking lot) because I don't have to cross any main roads. I went down there the other day and on the way back had an older woman so far up my ass all I had to do was put down the back pegs and she could have jumped on and gone for a ride with me. I can't understand why people have such a problem doing the speed limit on a street where at least 20 times a day kids run out into the road playing (I wont even break 25 in my Trans Am on these streets because I know the kids run into the road). It's really annoying how these people have no respect for anyone else on the road. I guess it just comes with the territory.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone has any tips for a novice rider? I'm taking it slow, like I said and havent even broken 35 on the bike. I'm signed up for the MSF course and have my learners permit to ride on the street. What a joke the LP is in Connecticut. If you can't answer the questions of that test you shouldn't even be driving a car.
I was also wondering if anyone knew a place to get a good deal on the matching GSX-R jacket and helmet. Right now I wear a black leather jacket and a green Shoei helmet my freind let me borrow that he used when he had a green Ninja. Neither match the bike but it's good protection just incase anything happens to me. I really don't care about spending money on the proper gear, after all I've seen first hand what happens to someone wearing shorts and a T-shirt who dumps there bike, but if I can get the same stuff for less, well who can argue with that? Here's some pics of the bike right when I got it, and if theres anyone else in CT who wants to ride with a noob drop me a line!
Here's some pics of the bike too.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I've seen the GSXR jacket in parts catalogs. Check any place that sells Joe Rocket. I think JR makes a blue version, maybe it's the Mladin rep', as well as I saw a black/grey/white one that looked pretty cool. As far as the helmet goes, I think you have to get that (Shoei, I believe) through a Suzuki dealer. Check with Ron Ayers (one of the site sponsors). You should also think about leather pants and good riding boots too, as well as gloves, if you want to be really geared proper.

As for tips, the GSXR isn't a bike for novices and you're going to have a time of it learning the bike. You've probably already noticed it doesn't take much to turn up the volume.
Spend some money on frame sliders, or take the plastic off for the first while when you're out on adventure testing some of your limits. Plastic's not cheap for them.
Most people start out on a lesser bike, like I did, where it's not as big of a concern to toss it around and get used to riding. You will take a longer time to get good because of it. Just keep going on your baby steps, and be careful out there.

And have fun.
They're a great bike, but, the red ones are the faster colour.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I've seen the GSXR jacket in parts catalogs. Check any place that sells Joe Rocket. I think JR makes a blue version, maybe it's the Mladin rep', as well as I saw a black/grey/white one that looked pretty cool. As far as the helmet goes, I think you have to get that (Shoei, I believe) through a Suzuki dealer. Check with Ron Ayers (one of the site sponsors). You should also think about leather pants and good riding boots too, as well as gloves, if you want to be really geared proper.

As for tips, the GSXR isn't a bike for novices and you're going to have a time of it learning the bike. You've probably already noticed it doesn't take much to turn up the volume.
Spend some money on frame sliders, or take the plastic off for the first while when you're out on adventure testing some of your limits. Plastic's not cheap for them.
Most people start out on a lesser bike, like I did, where it's not as big of a concern to toss it around and get used to riding. You will take a longer time to get good because of it. Just keep going on your baby steps, and be careful out there.

And have fun.
They're a great bike, but, the red ones are the faster colour.

I think he said it all. Just take it slow. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the advice. I realize it's a lotta bike for a first bike, but like I said I'm taking it very slow and staying well within my limits. The streets I ride on are nice and straight with no major potholes or bumps, I drive them everyday with my car so I know them pretty well, and traffic wise are quiet during the times I ride. As far as the gear goes, I really don't want to wear leather pants. I've seen and heard very good things about Draggin' Jeans. They are jeans and cargo pants with kevlar armour sewn into them. I think I'm going to order a few pairs, but was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them. I wear Sketcher boots right now while riding as well as leather gloves, they don't have kevlar in them though.

Another question I had and I know this is a very noobie thing to ask so please don't flame me for it, but what is the dial on the clutch handle for? I checked the manual but didn't see anything about it. I'm assuming it is to adjust the play in the cable and to tighten up the clutch once it starts wearing down. I also wanted to know if theres a way to get an adjustable handle for the clutch like the brake handle is. The clutch is kind of an uncomfortable reach, my arms are killing me after about 15 minutes on the bike. I'm thinking this is more of something I just need to get used to as I'm using muscles in my arms in ways that I havent ever used them before. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as well

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
The dial on the clutch is adjusting the throw of the lever...you can move the lever out, or in towards the grip..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dial on the clutch is adjusting the throw of the lever...you can move the lever out, or in towards the grip..
That's what I had thought, but wanted to ask the experts first before I screwed around with it.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hey welcome to GDC and congrats on the sweet ass bike....if ya can't handle it i'll take it off your hands for ya....

Im glad to see you riding within your limits! just be careful on the beast! you seem to be doing great. You'll enjoy the MSF course and will be more observant to things you thought you wouldn't

enjoy it and be safe!!! i second the frame sliders!! i have not dumped my bike with me on it ***YET*** but i was walking the bike out of my garage and BAM down it went but thanks to the frame sliders it safed my ass

·
Registered
605 Posts
Welcome, nice bike, try to find some MFS course around it will help you out, also for first usefull
tip for you as new rider and being nervous and tense all the time, try to grip your bikes gas tank with your knees to release some pressure of your arms.

Have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts