Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm just starting out and was looking at a couple of bikes i might be interested in. Ive had some experience on dirt bikes and smaller street bikes but i am looking for a 600cc bike for under $7500. I went to a dealer today and the salesman mentioned the Kawasaki Ninja 650R as a good starter bike. Enough power and performance for any beginner rider, and at the same time a good value. He also mentioned the ZZR600 which seems like a little more performance then the 650. Worth the extra grand? I was also looking at the Yamaha YZR600 and possibly the YZR 6. Anyone have any recommendations or info about these bikes. Just trying to gain a sense of opinion on a bike before going out and getting one.

thanks guys
Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,447 Posts
You're on the right track with the Ninja 650R. I'd go with that or Suzuki SV650S. :thumbup

Welcome to the site! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Suzuki Sv650 >>> 650R. They've been aroudn for years so you know they're reliable, cheaper to repair and you can get a used one easily. I actually started out on an EX500 and upgraded within 6 weeks. The Sv would have been a much better bike to start out on. Enough power to keep you interested, but not too much to get you killed :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys i appreciate it...id like to actually apologize because i didn’t actually read all of the sticky posts before posting this one...Those sticky posts were very helpful and provided lots of good information. Some of them actually scare me to death. I’m actually surprised that you guys think that type of bike is good for starters. In most of the sticky's they said beginners should not even think about R's.....unless the ninja 650R and SV650s is not that type of bike. I noticed that they are dual cylinder which I’m assuming is less aggressive then some of these bigger bikes. After going to the dealership and comparing, it does seem that the Ninja bikes are more starters then anything but I just want to make sure. I know now though that i need lots of practice and training before getting a bike. Don’t want to be the classic punk who goes and grabs a 600cc bikes and thinks I’m not going to make any mistakes. Does anyone know where I can get some info about the MTF or MAF courses (forget what they are called) I am located in CT but live in NJ, so anywhere in the tri-state area can work. Thanks again

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,447 Posts
www.msf-usa.org

Find a class in your area as soon as possible. :thumbup
A bike like an SV650 is good to learn on because it has more forgivable power delivery and brakes. Not so much the brakes, so if you do end up getting one, spend a lot of time practicing emergency braking in a empty parking lot.
The way the bike handles along with its power delivery make it the perfect bike for tracks and twisties no matter what your experience level.
When I had one, I chose to ride the SV over the 750 75% of the time for this reason. Its not something you will outgrow anytime soon. And if you DO decide ever to "upgrade" you'll probably end up keeping the SV as well. :punk
Once you know what you're doing, and that time will come sooner than later on the proper bike, you'll find that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to be the typical squid and ride a fast bike slow. I hope that makes sense. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input, yea i understand what your sayin, im sure once i get use to the bike i may wanna upgrade, but as a performance tuning enthusiast, maybe i'll make some upgrades on the actual bike. I understand what your sayin about goin faster on a slow bike....it makes more sense then getting a bike that is alot more advanced for me...and going fast on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
av_fan said:
You're on the right track with the Ninja 650R. I'd go with that or Suzuki SV650S. :thumbup

Welcome to the site! :cheers
yep what he said, welcome to the site
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
You're def. on the right track with ninja 650R, but i prefer the Suzuki SV650S like AV Fan suggested, with the full fairings it looks SICK! plus it makes for a very good bike at the track when you get your riding skills up! There will always be one or two slow guys out there at a trackday riding a brand new 1000cc race replica that you could just blow past on a SV650S if you've learned the correct way:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
av_fan said:
www.msf-usa.org

Find a class in your area as soon as possible. :thumbup
A bike like an SV650 is good to learn on because it has more forgivable power delivery and brakes. Not so much the brakes, so if you do end up getting one, spend a lot of time practicing emergency braking in a empty parking lot.
The way the bike handles along with its power delivery make it the perfect bike for tracks and twisties no matter what your experience level.
When I had one, I chose to ride the SV over the 750 75% of the time for this reason. Its not something you will outgrow anytime soon. And if you DO decide ever to "upgrade" you'll probably end up keeping the SV as well. :punk
Once you know what you're doing, and that time will come sooner than later on the proper bike, you'll find that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to be the typical squid and ride a fast bike slow. I hope that makes sense. :cheers
+1 on the MSF course. Best thing I could have done. Not going to it prob cost my buddy about $1k in fairings 1 day after buying his bike a SHIT LOAD of embaressment from dropping it in front of a crowd at a resturaunt with a full patio. :hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
Telefonica_HTown said:
+1 on the MSF course. Best thing I could have done. Not going to it prob cost my buddy about $1k in fairings 1 day after buying his bike a SHIT LOAD of embaressment from dropping it in front of a crowd at a resturaunt with a full patio. :hammer
ye that'll destroy your ego real quick, what did he do, how did he fuck up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Telefonica_HTown said:
+1 on the MSF course. Best thing I could have done. Not going to it prob cost my buddy about $1k in fairings 1 day after buying his bike a SHIT LOAD of embaressment from dropping it in front of a crowd at a resturaunt with a full patio. :hammer

damn..that sounds like something i would do hah...def want to take the MSF course, im having trouble finding places in CT that offer it. Every commuter college ive contacted about it either havent responded or are not offering it until the spring :sad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
I agree, go the kawa or suzuki 650 twins. They make their power down low, so its fun to play with, and dont encourage you to be *too* silly. It's easier to start getting the hang of things with twins compared to 4 cyl's. as they are a bit more tolerant of ham-fisted behaviour. That being said, act an idiot and they can still get you hurt badly.

Of thw two, i would say go the Kawasaki 650, if not for anything else but my last 3 bikes were kawasaki's and my current steed is a suzuki. The gearboxes in the kawasaki's always seem that little bit "smoother" and also the "positive neutral finder" (it uses a ballrace to lock you from going into second if going under 8km/h(5mph) is a big help in letting you find neutral without any hassle.

That being said, if i was choosing faired versus naked, faired does look better, but theres more plastic to break *IF* you have an off/stationary drop/your idiot neighbour reverses into your bike at the local shopping centre.

Good luck, and welcome to the fold :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mike, im still not sure which i want now...i agree the more fairings you have the easier it is to get messed up...however i think if i did get the SV i would have to get the fairings, i just dont like that style without them. Do dealerships have the bottom fairings or is this a seperate piece from a tuner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,447 Posts
Jroz said:
Thanks Mike, im still not sure which i want now...i agree the more fairings you have the easier it is to get messed up...however i think if i did get the SV i would have to get the fairings, i just dont like that style without them. Do dealerships have the bottom fairings or is this a seperate piece from a tuner
The dealership can order the lower fairings right from Suzuki. Have them throw it in with the purchase of the bike. :thumbup

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
Jroz said:
thanks for the input, yea i understand what your sayin, im sure once i get use to the bike i may wanna upgrade, but as a performance tuning enthusiast, maybe i'll make some upgrades on the actual bike. I understand what your sayin about goin faster on a slow bike....it makes more sense then getting a bike that is alot more advanced for me...and going fast on that.
First of all, welcome! Second, if you want to play with tuning, the SV is the best choice over the EX650. There are a TON of aftermarket racing performance mods for the SV - it is one of the club racing mainstay bikes. Plus, once you do decide to upgrdae, you can keep the SV for a superlative dedicated track machine. Third, get thee to the MSF course forthwith!!

Cheers!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top