Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined the site and am currently looking for my 1st bike(read the stickies, MSF on Aug 3-5) had my heart set on SV650S but can't seem to find one in my price range ($0-$2500) however I have seen a couple of the older (94-95 mainly) RF600's around in that price range also really like the way they look. However I was wondering if you guys think it would decent 1st bike, since I apprently can'y afford an SV. I searched but the site didn't really have too much about them all I found on the internet was a couple old reviews and one saying it made 100hp w/about 80 to the rear wheel, which doesn't seem overly much considering what the GSX-R's make. Also if they are not to bad of a starting bike anyone know of any selling in the North Nj area in my price range?

BTW I have zero experience no dirt, no nothing...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
not too sure about the RF. i'm sure someone could give you some info on that later on.

Try looking for Honda GT 650, they are kinda old but very similar to SV. Then you have the GS500.

The looks of the bike isn't important, just ride it and upgrade down the road. You will understand why it is best to get a beater than to get something new for a starter bike.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Welcome to the site! I bet you could find a used (but relatively new, just a couple years old) GS500 in your price range, that would be the best choice. A pre-2003 SV should be out there for that price too, just gotta keep lookin. Both excellent choices.

You got the right idea staying away from the R bikes as your first, and signing up for the MSF course was a smart move. Don't worry about not having any experience. That's what the MSF course is for! They'll hook you up and get you on your way, and you'll have a blast doing it!

Whatever bike you get, be sure you have plenty of money left over to get some high-quality riding gear. Most importantly a DOT and Snell approved full-face helmet, LEATHER jacket, LEATHER gloves, and street bike specific riding boots. Leather pants or a one-piece suit is an excellent idea too.

Enjoy your new sport!

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Had to go have a look for info on the RF. I was wanting the RF900 at one time, but there wasn't anything around locally to actually look at, besides ads in magazines. I just found a writeup on the 95 RF600 and you can read it here - First Ride: 1995 Suzuki RF600 They didn't give it top marks, but it'd be a choice you can make after reading up on it.

Probably a better bet to go with a GS500, unless you can find that great deal on an SV.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Welcome to the site. Don't hesitate to ask people questions. There is a lot of experience to learn from. Check out the link in my sig. Lot's of good info and reviews of good starter bikes.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Gs500... Ninja 250 - 500.... A buddy of mine just bought an SV for $2400. She was beat up a little, but ran like a champ, so they are out there for low $$$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ninja 250- I'm 6'2 280 (hopefully 250 by MSF) Ever see a Gorilla hump a football?

Ninja/GS500- The perfect starter bike, but i'm a jerk and a squid and I just don't like'em

Anyone know a decent amount about the RF600? I read the write up on it... But its problems all seem like things that can be fixed with some mods and me being a dsm'er means i'm always either fixing or modding the car so same will most likely go for the bike too.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Good that you are starting out right! MSF is awesome, hope you like it, you will definately have some fun.

Get some gear, and ride on! Any questions, don't worry about asking, we love to help (i ask for help when i need it also).

Most important, have fun, this is such an awesome sport to get into, and the fact that you are doing it right, will mean you will be running rings around the newbs on their 1000s in a few months.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My friend bought a 96 RF600 new, he has done nothing but regular maintenance. He has ~35,000 miles on it and is taking a trip to the east coast as we speak.

Pretty small sample size, but his has been reliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts