Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i know u guys are gunna flame me cuz im another
with a gsx-r 750. I bought the bike off of a 31 year old ups driver bike is a 03 with 300 miles i paid 7200 for it with 2 powerstands. IM 20 years old and have had about 13 years of riding expierence between dirty bikes and quads. Well after reading alot of posts and riding my bike for the first time yesterday i realized i was over my head but im gunna hang with it. Rather then ride on the streets ive put in 60 miles in the local mall parking lot in the last 2 nights im really comftable for my seat time and was curious to your opinions on my techniques? flame if u want aint changing me riding the bike

·
Registered
297 Posts
i doubt that anybody is gonna flame you since you admitted that you are in over your head. thats crazy though, 60 miles in a parking lot, ya must have been there for a long time. but props to you for not getting cocky and thinking you can handle it. if ya keep that cool head on your shoulders, you will probably be fine on that bike. just take it easy, for a long time, that bike has a lot of power for someone who hasn't been riding on the street. dirt bike experiance helps a bit, but not really. good luck, and ride safe buddy.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Welcome to the site. Be sure you share what you learned with other noobs here.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
Be careful, you defintely are in over your head. Don't hesitate to take the basic and advanced MSF classes. And keep practicing. Don't get a false sense of security.

What kind of dirt bikes were you riding? 2 stroke 250's have a wicked peaky powerband, but still have nothing on the raw speed of a street bike.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
We should make this a sticky. We could call it " hey squids, if you post like this you won't get your ass chewed by everyone"

And then we could use that Briellz guys post and call it "hey squids, if you post like this you are gonna get FLAMED!!"

sorry bored at work

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
first of all, Welcome to the GDC club.

Now lets get this on.
Just kidding.
Since you got some time on it already, it seems like you didn't say much about MSF course. If you haven't taken this, do so because that will increase your skill level on what to do in a situation of so and so.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Welcome!!!!And keep workin on riding ur 750,AND SOONER OR LATER U WILL SEE THE FRUITS OF UR LABOR......

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
i doubt that anybody is gonna flame you since you admitted that you are in over your head. thats crazy though, 60 miles in a parking lot, ya must have been there for a long time. but props to you for not getting cocky and thinking you can handle it. if ya keep that cool head on your shoulders, you will probably be fine on that bike. just take it easy, for a long time, that bike has a lot of power for someone who hasn't been riding on the street. dirt bike experiance helps a bit, but not really. good luck, and ride safe buddy.
+1 and welcome....You see they are reading our posts!!!!!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Should you have gotten the 750 for your first? no... but again, you seem to have a decent head on your shoulder. The parking lot time is good, but rather than just riding around a bit, I'd suggest the same thing I said in this post . Get "Total Control" by Lee Parks... He has a lot of "parking lot" excercises that will make sure your parking lot time is worth while. After a bit of time doing his excercises you shouldn't have any problem with street time. Again, don't get too comfortable with it too soon. Today's super bikes are very misleading that way. They just seem so damn easy... They aren't... It's like the cute little chihuahua down the street. He looks all cute an innocent, but the moment you get close he's biting your eyeball out.
Don't turn your bike into a chihuahua.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's like the cute little chihuahua down the street. He looks all cute an innocent, but the moment you get close he's biting your eyeball out.
+1
i hate it when my bike bite's my eye balls out.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
It's like the cute little chihuahua down the street. He looks all cute an innocent, but the moment you get close he's biting your eyeball out.
+1
i hate it when my bike bite's my eye balls out.
Yeah, after I wrote that my first thought was, "Damn, I'm gonna have to get a T-shirt with that on it..."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the club.

And although funny, the chihuahua analogy is so very, very true.

·
Registered
297 Posts
haha, if you put that on a t-shirt, i would definatley buy one.

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys yea it was about 10 hours. i figured it was the best controlled situation i could use. I have put another 100 mileso n her since i made the post and wow she scares the shit out of me and thats whats gunna keep me safe. I think the reason alot of newer riders get hurt is because everything is easier on it with speed a corner at 30 is a lil choppy and fights same corner at 60 on the pipe smooth as glass. Im learning i plan on doing the saftey courses in the early spring nexy year when i go for my liscense im just gunna stay on my permit and log up the miles can any of u point me in the right direction with some frame sliders?

·
Banned
122 Posts
i've spent the last week or so reading the newbie threads on this forum, and i gotta say it's taught me alot. i'm not quite as brave as wheelburns, but i got a '97 GSX-R 600 as my first bike. i plan on taking it slow for a long time on it, and reading as much as possible (cause knowledge is power!). right now i'm getting all my paperwork straight with it so i can ride it legally. in the meantime i've been riding in my apartment complex parking lot to get a feel for it and such. luckily i live in a small town where traffic isn't much at all, and i think that will help with the learning experience. the MSF basic course here is like $250 so i'll have to save up to take it, but i'm looking forward to learning all i can before i start riding on interstates and whatnot. (i'm currently investing heavily in gear at the moment)

i guess it's important to note that i'm 25 years old, rode my first ATV (Suzuki 125) at age 6, and i think i have a pretty level head on my shoulders. i'm not looking to do tricks or impress people. a friend of mine is helping me with riding my bike, and i can't count how many times he says "be careful..." or "be aware of everything..." or "be a defensive driver...". i hear the exact same stuff from him that i read in this forum, which lets me know that he knows what he's talking about. in summation, thanks for keeping us squids in check, and although i've only been here a few days, welcome wheelburns!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts