Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the boards and new to MD. I've been looking at the MVA website and I've found forms and everything but I'd like to know if anyone knows the process that works best. When i take off work to go deal with the MVA i'd like to be able to get my MD drivers license (Currently VA), register my car and truck, and get my Motorcycle license (Currently don't have one as it expired 10 years ago). I found waiver forms for the inspection that will give me 30 day tags for the 2 cars, but will they let me get one for the bike, and would I be able to get a license without the bike being there, or is there a "learners" permit type of thing? Please help with some guidance as I'm lost.

In adition to this i'd be interested me meeting some local people for riding buddies/friends. So if your interested in meeting up sometime, please post up. For anyone that cares to know more about me, "The n00b", please feel free to visit my website http://www.quick-and-ferocious.net (Work safe and not a singles thing I assure you). Pictures of the bike (1997 GSX-R 600, black/grey/purple) I'm buying will be there as soon as possible, and i'll post them in here too.

TTFN,
--Jasmine

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
as far as license and permits... you could get them register as a temp. like you stated.

As far as your license... yes that could be worked out as well since you do carry one in your old state. If it is expired, i think you just have to renew it from your old state and then present it to the current state you are living. This way, you don't have to take tests or whatnot.

but if you don't want to do that... then i would say, fill out all the forms they want and take the test you need to get what you want to ride or drive.

good luck and welcome to GDC club

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have all my information together with a plan.. i'll get my learner permit but I need to be with a rider with at least 3 years experience, So i've been e-mailing my friends that have bikes... hopefully soon I'll be out there riding again.

P.S. thanks for the warm welcome

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Be safe and welcome to GDC!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to GDC

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Well I have all my information together with a plan.. i'll get my learner permit but I need to be with a rider with at least 3 years experience, So i've been e-mailing my friends that have bikes... hopefully soon I'll be out there riding again.
No kidding? That's majorly different from just across the line. In DE I had two choices... I could take the MSF and upon completion get a certificate to take to the DMV that automatically got me my M endorsement. Since the soonest MSF course was like 7 months away, instead I found some books on safety, went to the DMV's website and downloaded the motorcyclist hand book (basically the study guide for the written test) and learned it front to back. After about 3 days of absorbing all the bike knowledge I figured I could muster, I went to the DMV to take the test. DE has a two step process. You need to get your learners permit first. That just required a quick 20 question or so test. Then they printed out a "permit" (piece of paper with my pic on it). WIth the permit I could ride, just had a few rules to follow... No passengers, no riding on interstate freeways, and I don't remember for sure, but I think I wasn't allowed to ride after sunset. Had to keep the permit for at least 10 days I think, after that, I could come back to take the road test any time I wanted (I think the permit was good for up to 3 months or something). The road test was par for the course stuff. Accelerate to 20MPH, start breaking at this line and be stopped by this line, slolomn through these cones (actually dots on the course), ride straight down this line without putting feet down, make a u-turn in this certain area without putting feet down, etc... (actually on a side story, it was funny when I went to take the test... I had a '95 gix 1100, and for the break test I was about 30ft back from the line where you start to break. I asked the guy how fast I had to be going when I hit the line... He says, "Just accelerate as much as you can"... I kinda looked at him funny for a second and said, okay, so you want me to be going 80 when I hit the line? LOL) Anyway, after the road test is passed, you walk back in, get the M endorsement and go on your merry way.

Where in MD ya from? Anywhere near DE? We could get together and ride sometime...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm near Laurel, MD.. half way between DC and Baltimore, but once I get my M I'd love to get together with people for a ride. The DE border is about 45 min from me.. so not too far. Md requires a 14 day minimum for a learners permit... so it will be a few weeks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the board. What do you mean by MD requires a 14 day waiting period?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
She means after you get your permit, you gotta wait at least 14 days before going back to take the road test to get the real M.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i live in towson, baltimore county, MD. I don't have my motorcycle endorsment yet. I am riding the motorcycle without any proper papaers. I can also use some suggestions on how to get the motorcycle endorsement as i am interested in getting it.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
i live in towson, baltimore county, MD. I don't have my motorcycle endorsment yet. I am riding the motorcycle without any proper papaers. I can also use some suggestions on how to get the motorcycle endorsement as i am interested in getting it.
Umm, yeah, getting the license would be a good idea...

The easiest way to get it is to take the MSF course... Not only can it save your life some day, but when your finished you walk away with the endorsement.... Otherwise you need to go to the MVA and get your learners permit... Once you have the permit for 14 days, you can go back and take the road test to get the endorsement.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Jasmine- Welcome to the GDC, and to MD too

I'm not sure how far you've gotten in your quest for a MD motorcycle endorsement, so I'll share with you what I've found to be the easiest way to go about getting it. As some others have mentioned, the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) classes in Maryland are the express route. Yes, I know- if you call them they will tell you that they are full until 2010
- ok, well maybe almost that long. A month can seem like an eternity when you are ready to ride.

When I took the class, I looked online (links from the MVA's site) to the different places the MSF is given. I found out that there are different levels of classes. There is the absolute novice class, it runs for 3-4 days and no prior riding experience is necessary. There is an intermediate class, designed for those people that have been riding for years (some illegally without the endorsement) that can be taken in an afternoon (4 hours, most of it riding in a parking lot) and you can leave with your endorsement. And finally, there is an advanced class- which doesn't really have a part in my point here.

Anyway, the intermediate class is still good for your license. You take the class, pass the test at the end (which is no problem if you've been paying attention for 4 hours) and they issue you a piece of paper which you may redeem for your license at the MVA. No learner's permit, no waiting, no additional written test, no bs!

Ok, so the really useful information... how do you get into the class?? Well, I tried calling- and most places wouldn't let me get on a waiting list, in fact most would not even acknowledge that one existed. I knew that it was possible to show up the day of the class, and that's exactly what I did. It was a perfect May morning and I showed up to find there were 4 available spots in the class! How come? Maybe it was luck, but I did choose a location that was a lot less busy than the DC or Metro Baltimore areas. I went up to Harford County, just up 95 towards Delaware, and took the class at a community college.

I highly recommend it. Other good locations may include Caroll county or Frederick county, they both have programs too- I think there may be one in June. If that's not the route you take, or if you want to get started now- just head to an MVA office and take the written (50 questions, right out of their book). With that, you'll be issued a learner's permit- and it won't interfere with getting your license through an MSF class, should you opt for that route later

If you are looking for people to ride with, I'm out ALL the time when it's sunny (and I have my license! lol) I live about 15 minutes from Laurel, out in Owings Mills. I know some fabulous roads around here too

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also live in MD.....just moved there from VA......but what I am doing is while I still have a VA drivers License. I am taking the MSF course in VA.....like someone said earlier...MD is booked! And I scheduled online at NOVA Community College & was scheduled for a class in Aug & I called back a few weeks later & they opened a NEW class & moved my class date to the end of June!! I was excited!! I just got a '05 GSXR 600 for Mother's Day.

Anyway, I plan on doing all that I need to in VA & after the class & I get my VA license then I will tranfer everything at one time to MD. You need nothing to get your m/c lerners permit in VA....just go to DMV & take the test. It is good for a year I believe.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't let anyone 'official' in Maryland find out. I think there is a law that says you have to have your license changed to a Maryland one within 30 days of your move here. It's one of those rules that is for the financial benefit of the State, but they do like to fine people
lol

Welcome to MD!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
You can take the MSF course and then get your license without having to test in MD. I didn't think it was that big of a deal though. My MC license had lapsed and when I changed over to MD they would not give me one unless I tested. I took the written test and took the driving test the following week (no 14 day wait
). The driving test wasn't squat, but then I've been riding motorcycles longer than the tester had been alive. They did check to make sure that you had either trailered the bike there or had been accompanied by a rider with at least 3 years experience. By accompanied that just meant within his sight and he was not required to be on a MC but could have been in a car (like my buddy was).
Welcome to MD. You should go up to Summit Point and catch the races (it's only about an hour or so from you @ Charlestown, WV), we could always use some more people to root us GDC racers on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts