Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
what's the battery output? if its at full power but wont stay running when - is removed? is it supposed to? I know the carbed SRAD will run off battery alone but I dunno about running on stator alone? never tried, I guess it should?

you need to check Stator output as well, all 3 wires need like 50 someo volts at 5000 rpms is it? all in the service manual..

check the 3 phase power leads, all 3 need to be good, if that checks then plug back into R/R and check running at battery wants like what 14.5 or so is it? running... if that's not up to spec then R/R is bad, wiring is bad? connector? there is a direct to battery mod works real well, you can check that out at roadstercycle..

·
Registered
52 Posts
We placed a new stator and a new rectifier/regulator on our 2011 GSXR 1000. When we remove the negative cable from the battery, it shuts down. What else can it be?
A fuel injected modern sport bike, will not run without the battery connected.
That old disconnect the battery cable trick, only works with the old school carbureted bikes.
Modern sport bikes have a ecm on them, the stator, regulator and battery all work in unison with each other.
Fire bike up and put a volt meter across the battery terminals and see what the out put is.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A fuel injected modern sport bike, will not run without the battery connected.
If I read the schematic of my K5 right, both the battery and Alternator can supply the starter relay with power independent of each other

But I admit, that is a K5 is not a 2011

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I read the schematic of my K5 right, both the battery and Alternator can supply the starter relay with power independent of each other

But I admit, that is a K5 is not a 2011
The alternator keeps the battery charged, it’s not used for starting the bike.
Have you checked the voltage at the battery while the bike is running?
I don’t know about the 2011 Gixxer, but I had an 01 that had charging issues, even after I replaced all the components in the charging system.
Turns out, I had melted wires in the regulator and stator plugs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just did this on a 2011 Triumph Triple and the bike would stop running if the negative cable was disconnected (because the system lost ground I reckon). Similar setup to modern Gixxers so should be the same.

A bike will run with the stator disconnected, at least until you drain the battery.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,278 Posts
^You left the lights on. Measure the parasitic drain. It should be around 3 mA or less. But it's more like one hundred times that if it's draining the battery overnight. Once you know the drain is there, pull fuses to identify what's responsible for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts