Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thread!

168K views 1K replies 615 participants last post by  GixxerB 
#1 ·
If you want to ask about an "r" bike as a first bike PLEASE do not post ANOTHER new thread about it, just read this, and ask a question, myself or someone else will be glad to answer your questions.

I've been seeing a lot of posts in this forum lately asking about success stories for "R" bikes, and "Im new but I got a gsx-r 1000, is this okay?"... "Is it okay to buy a gsx-r 600 as a first bike"

No. Plain and simple. The stickies in this forum offer you a wealth of information on why this is a bad choice. If you don't feel like reading them, lets break it down for you.

1.) Speed: I'm starting with this one because it's the most popular. Even a gsx-r 600 will out-accelerate, out-turn, and out-brake all but the most heavily modified sports cars (we aren't talking civic here, we're talking like modified corvette, or a modified viper, or maybe a 700hp streetcar). I hear many people saying they may get bored on these bikes. You won't get bored, ever. And it is very difficult to master these bikes by learning on them, they are just too much bike.

2.) Brakes: The brakes on any R bike are race-type brakes. They are made for setting up into corners while travelling very fast. This means, on the street, when you grab even a little bit of brake (as a new rider you make mistakes) you will lock up the wheels. Hope you enjoyed the ride, because it's over.

3.) Throttle: I hear people saying if they are responsible and control the throttle, they will be okay. They will only turn it a quarter turn... Hate to tell you, but a quarter turn is almost if not all the way full-throttle. We are talking 1/16ths of a turn or less for regular acceleration. You have to literally turn this thing by quarter centimeters if you dont want to accelerate hard.

4.) Cost: Insurance, initial investment, and repairs. SVS Posted something about one right-side lower fairing being ~450$. This means you can spend upwards of 1500$ for a low-speed crash. Imagine what happens when you highside and need to replace fairings, clutch/brake lever, bar-ends, etc etc.

5.) Responsiveness: The clip-ons ("handlebars") have a very very limited range of motion compared to what you are used to (if you ride dirt, atv, bicycle, etc). They travel a VERY short arc. This, in turn, means that R-type bikes respond to millimeters in inputs. They are designed to do EXACTLY what they are told, and if you are telling it to do something wrong, it will do it, and it can kill you. These bikes are made to be very nimble with a small input to the clip-ons.

6.) Learning: It is so much easier to learn on a slower bike. You can learn position, throttle control, clutch control, shifting techniques, emergency control situations, collision avoidance, and turn control. On an R bike, you will be watching the throttle, the brakes, and the input you are giving to the bike. You won't be able to leave that as second nature and learn how to whip that bike around.

In conclusion, it doesn't matter if you have ridden dirt for 10 years (I rode dirt for 8 years before I got my first bike; and it is TOTALLY different) or have driven the lingelfelter corvette to taiwan and back. You don't have enough experience for sport bike riding. They are just too powerful. You are not going to be able to deal with it, and you will be a worse rider than you could have been. Everyone thinks they are the exception, you aren't.. Believe me.. If anyone is the exception, they are already professional racers.

I hope I can sway some of you, I know you will do what you want in the end, but know that you are making a big mistake, one that may cost you your life.

See less See more
#4 ·
my 1st street bike was a brand new 93 gsx-r750..and im on my 2nd gixxer.....ive experience NO FECKIN problems..1st street bike choice has more to do with what between your ears than anything...

#6 ·
... Spongie, you really should leave your sense of humour behind when posting in the starting area. These newbs will take you seriously. You may have started on a gsxr as a first bike, but it's more a case of blind luck you didn't kill yourself early on, not what's between your ears...

#7 ·
Robben said:
... Spongie, you really should leave your sense of humour behind when posting in the starting area. These newbs will take you seriously. You may have started on a gsxr as a first bike, but it's more a case of blind luck you didn't kill yourself early on, not what's between your ears...
blind luck has nothing to do with it..i rode dirt bikes forever, and i know what its like to crash.
its this you cant survive a big bike attitude that slays me..holyier than thou attitude.
a dumb shit is going to wad a sv650 just as fast as he would a gsx-r600..i dont mind the comparison between the two when someone asks, but this bull shit of some asshole that thinks he knows everything comming on here and saying " i have one, but im special", or "only i have the wisdom to choose and ride a R bike..not you"..

a 16 yearold kid that has experience on bikes and a fair amount of common sence will do just fine on a R bike.. a kid thats hell bent on killing himself...he's gona do it on whatevers between his legs...

Reactions: KHughes
#465 ·
a 16 yearold kid that has experience on bikes and a fair amount of common sence will do just fine on a R bike
What 16 year old has any common sense?

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. and the whole point is to have fun, right? (and save some gas money) :burnout

Seriously, just because you were lucky enough not to die on your first sports bike doesn't mean that every person who looks at forums like these is going to be as lucky as you. Think about the whole situation...e

#8 ·
And, like a newbie (although we know you're not, Spongie
), you just don't 'get it'.

Dirt experience. Big deal. Grab a hella throttle on a dirt bike. Then grab a hella throttle on an R bike. Quite the difference, ya think?

Now repeat that same test with a handful of front brake. What do you think might happen?

R bikes are sensitive and highly powerful. Take the time to actually read the above post by the good Rev'. Are you just being a dick, Bob?

As for being quote holier than thou' unquote, I learned on a GS550, and rode it for nine years before moving to the 1100. Anyone here giving the advice you're slamming hasn't bought an R bike to start out. We've just seen what happens over and over from those that do. Just trying to save a life.

What are you trying to do?

#341 ·
I agree about not buying a liter bike for the first bike for sure, but, have you ever grabbed a handful of a tweaked 500cc two stroke dirt bike?!! Scarier than my 06 1k fo sho!

#11 ·
im not saying that dirt bike experience qualifies you for a r bike..im saying it gives you bike experience..bike experience is just that experience..all the bikes controls are in the same place..you know about brakes..and how to look around for traffic..

if im a squid and a idiot, it just goes to prove my point, anyone with common sence can survive a r bike..

#706 ·
the key words here is "common sence" a gsxr 600 is my first bike i do fine on it.. but i also agree with the other guys it was touchy as hell the first umm 2 weeks.. i almost had a few misshapps but it was from my dirtbike experiance that saved me.. the experiance of nowing how to control a slide on a dirtbike comes in handy when it comes to sportbikes! i wouldnt recomend jumping on a gixxer the first time if you never been on any type of bike at all.. ask my lil bro i made the mistake of letting him get the feel of a crotchrocket in a parking lot on my bike and You got it he wreacked it :banghead but i made him buy all the parts to fix it LOL

#593 ·
acutally i have a 1998 yamaha rt 180 big deal it aint much but it runs i used to drive it all over the place the interstate throu town and everything so like spongebob said its about the same street bikes are touchier then a dirtbike but as long as you respect the bike it will respect you if you go around showing your ass your gonna get hurt

#13 ·
Re: New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thr

You can ride dirt all you want. You may as well say you can handle an f1 car because you rode a dune buggy. Or a top fuel dragster because you've drag raced your buddies camaro.

I started on an srad; and even that was too much power, I cant count the number of times I almost got killed even though I was being resonable. Someone cuts me off, i'm avoiding a stick in the road, braking too hard. Things that we are talking about. And all of the things I dealt with are more powerful and more dangerous now a-days than on the srad.

The thing is, today's 600s are faster than my srad 750 ever was. The smaller bikes of today are faster, lighter, and more nimble than the bigger bikes of yesterday.

Starting on a 93 750 is nothing compared to the 750s of today. They are a whole new ball game. We arent talking about harley's, where they update every 50 years, we are talking about highly precise vehicles with new technology and better/faster enhancements put on every few years.

These bikes are made for racing, and I wouldn't start out a 16 year old kid in a race car.. Would you? Hell no, he's getting a safe, easy, learner car.

#590 ·

I started on an srad; and even that was too much power, I cant count the number of times I almost got killed even though I was being resonable... And all of the things I dealt with are more powerful and more dangerous now a-days than on the srad.

The thing is, today's 600s are faster than my srad 750 ever was. The smaller bikes of today are faster, lighter, and more nimble than the bigger bikes of yesterday.

Starting on a 93 750 is nothing compared to the 750s of today. They are a whole new ball game.
I started out on dirt bikes when I was younger and when I was about 14 my uncle took me out on his zx9 (early 90s model but don't remember the year) and scared me to the point that I didn't think I'd ever ride anything more than a dual-purpose bike. That being said, I test rode a 600 and opted for a zx7 as my first bike.
Would I apply that same scenario to the bikes of today or even the near future if I were just starting... In no way

#14 ·

+1 for Rev Intrigue.

-1 for spongebob.

I can't stress how true it is that if someone says they are easily bored of a 600, then they definately aren't riding it right (and are full of s*it). That'd take yeaaars to accomplish.

#936 ·

+1 for Rev Intrigue.

-1 for spongebob.

I can't stress how true it is that if someone says they are easily bored of a 600, then they definately aren't riding it right (and are full of s*it). That'd take yeaaars to accomplish.
I did get bored with my 600, but then again it was a 99 so no FI. HOWEVER, i would never recommend any particular size bike to anyone because not everyone has the same level of self control. if a person has never ridden a bike before then you would want to stay away from a 600. You will die on a liter bike or at least donate some parts to someone on craigslist. Learn the basics on a smaller bike would be your best bet but then again you can lead a horse to water....

#15 ·

Rev. Intrigue said:

3.) Throttle: I hear people saying if they are responsible and control the throttle, they will be okay. They will only turn it a quarter turn... Hate to tell you, but a quarter turn is almost if not all the way full-throttle. We are talking 1/16ths of a turn or less for regular acceleration. You have to literally turn this thing by quarter centimeters if you dont want to accelerate hard.
One more thing. No matter how responsible you are, that doesn't make up for skill required. You noobies think you're gonna just "take it easy, and you'll be fine." Based on what? It takes experience to "take it easy" and it takes skill to "not turn the throttle that far". Throttle control only comes with practice. Its not just about knowing what to do and keeping your head on straight. Its having the skill and experience to do it.

Excellent write-up!
You know how much time I waste reading the same damn thing and giving the same damn answers multiple times a day in The Starting Line?

Its just sickening how many stoopid fucks join this site daily.

#18 ·

I would have to agree that a R bike can get away from you fast and that a 16 year old kid should not start out on one. On the other hand I bought a 600k4 this past July and have already been on the track and logged over 6000 miles. I wrecked it once due to an error in judgement (riding with cold tires on a cold street after it had dropped below freezing). I would not change my decision to buy a GSX-R 600 if I could.

I will say that you take a risk starting out but if that is what you want it is your money and just remember that Darwin works.

The thing that i see killing more people than just riding is the fact that they try and be like people that have been riding for years and years. Newbs should not be doing wheelies, stoppies, dragging knee or anything of the like. But then again no one should be doing that stuff on the street.

Bottom line it is your choice, learn to respect the machine or die. The street is no place to play, and the interstate is no place to learn. You wanna learn go to www.nesba.com or a like site and get on the track or take some of the great courses such as cornerspeed and learn from the pro's instead of just trying to emulate them...

oh and if you think that i am just blowing smoke talk to the other riders at DCsportbikes.net and they will attest that i am a decent rider that is not some stupid SQUID.

#19 ·

what you guys keep saying is pretty daunting. i learned how to ride on a 850cc Buell Monster. big difference from a street bike i know. but i dont think ill ever learn how to ride a street bike without riding one.... gsx-r 600 is the only bike i see to learn on. i fully understand how to ride a bike (hell, even how ot drop a bike~) i may kill myself, but i want to take every step i can to not killing myself while still adjusting from a relatively slow bike to a gsxr...you guys say its nothing like driving a viper etc. etc...but lets not say a viper or a dual turbo lotus espirit are easy to break out of first gear either. tight clutches is what im used to and i have to wonder if yall think im still underestimating the bottom line of the gsx-r... not looking for shit, just wondering if im taking the wrong attitude

#20 ·

raleigh rapier said:
i may kill myself, but i want to take every step i can to not killing myself while still adjusting from a relatively slow bike to a gsxr...
are you referring to the buell you got or a slow bike?

but if i understand your statement, you meant you rather take your chance in a gsxr than any advice we give you?

if that is the case, then wow... you don't need us to tell you want bike you should get since you already made up your mind. We here would like to keep our members safe and to give our advice is just our opinion. You could follow what we say or not, because you will do what you want. We here just want to tell you (In general terms) that a R bike isn't a first timer. Start off on a CBR F1 or F2 if you want a street bike. Matter fact, why not start off on a SV650? that is a street bike... i just don't understand why everyone take our advice or opinion to another level where they have to fight every single word we say.

we mean good and we mean to help you learn the ropes. We don't want to hear that their parents will damn sport bike for what they think it is a killer two rocket. We want to educate them by telling them, starting off small is better than getting a R bike where they might not even see another day if something was to happen.

#21 ·

to MG6: from what ive heard the gsx-r's are much much quicker than a buell monster.

i didnt mean i wasnt looking for your opinion, i only meant i learned on a bigger less responsive bike. i want you guys (the gixxer experiecned) to help me understand the differences. i feel that learning how to control the clutch/brakes may be 90% of what people screw up on. if im wrong correct me. i dont plan on buying a gixxer first, but i sure as hell do yearn for one.

#22 ·

raleigh rapier said:
i feel that learning how to control the clutch/brakes may be 90% of what people screw up on. if im wrong correct me. i dont plan on buying a gixxer first, but i sure as hell do yearn for one.
To quote another member here, Fraggle:

Learning to fly means more than being suspended from the ceiling and flapping your arms
Meaning: Learning to ride a bike is more than learning to operate the levers and grips...

Sure throttle, clutch and brake control are important but the more radical a bike is, the more input errors are amplified. And for example being able to operate the brake in a parking lot or putting around doesn't mean that you can operate it properly under stress.

No matter what, the more race-oriented a bike is, the harder it is to learn on because it can put you on your ass way faster than a standard, meaning you'll spend a lot of attention on being careful, leaving less for learning. Sure you can kill yourself on any bike - you just don't have to try as hard on a race bike...

BTW you're right on the Buell being slower - it's driven by a souped-up tractor engine...

#464 ·

To quote another member here, Fraggle:

Meaning: Learning to ride a bike is more than learning to operate the levers and grips...

Sure throttle, clutch and brake control are important but the more radical a bike is, the more input errors are amplified. And for example being able to operate the brake in a parking lot or putting around doesn't mean that you can operate it properly under stress.

No matter what, the more race-oriented a bike is, the harder it is to learn on because it can put you on your ass way faster than a standard, meaning you'll spend a lot of attention on being careful, leaving less for learning. Sure you can kill yourself on any bike - you just don't have to try as hard on a race bike...

BTW you're right on the Buell being slower - it's driven by a souped-up tractor engine...
You're the one not getting it. what his point is: you have to start somewhere.
If the only way to ride a racer is to know how, how is the knowledge acquired? that's his point and mine. I think, all though i respect this post and what it says, as well as all of you guys, you have the experience, and i as a "squid" want to learn all i can, this is a point to be adressed.

#23 ·

nice touch SV

but on the side note, like svs said, learning the basic the clutch, braking and whatnot is only one piece of the pie. There is a reason why MSF course teach you the whole package and they recommend you take the next level up to learn the whole ordeal about control and how to be the rider in charge and not the bike.

#24 ·

Firstly, thank you very much for this post Rev, SVS, and MG6. I know that I don't have a lot of time on this board, but I have been riding on the street for a few years and I have to agree that buying a cutting edge sportsbike for your first motorcycle is flirting with disaster. I'm not trying to say that anyone who attempts to ride a newer R bike will die or be hurt; I just feel that it increases your chances of being hurt significantly. The kind of control and moderation that these motorcycles demand in an environment as inherently dangerous as the street already is can not be learned from a book or 10 hours in a classroom setting. You will need to spend time getting the feel for what the bike is trying to tell you, and while you are acquiring these skills, it is probably better that you are riding a bike that is not "waiting to pounce" as is the case with many of today’s more powerful sportsbikes. Again, riding a motorcycle is not just a series of pre-determined steps in reaction to a standard scenario. There are an infinite number of possibilities for any given situation, and while you are learning what the best of those are, it's probably best that you are not on a motorcycle that will rocket you to 60 miles an hour from a stop in 3 seconds. For anyone who is starting out, I suggest the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

Sport Riding Techniques is packed with excellent information and drills that will enable anyone to become a more proficient rider. Do you absolutely need to read this book? No, but like all of the positive information proceeding this post, I've included it here in the hopes that by reading it you may be saved the physical, emotional, and financial pain of crashing. *preach off*

#26 ·
Spongebob, if you had an identical twin who started on a smaller bike then graduated up to what you now ride, by now he'd be a better rider than you. No biggie, but true.

So what if you survived on the '93 750? The point here is to give new motorcyclists the best advice and best riding experience, to welcome them to the sport the right way. If someone is so excited to get an R bike he is practically gizzin' in his underwear, the only way to get him back to reality is to take a firm harsh tone. To you it sounds "holier than thou" but in fact, it's not holy enough because most of 'em still don't follow the advice.

If you said, "Well, I suppose that it might be possible but I strongly advise against it", that's not enough and they end up buying a GSXR as their first bike. Then you just wasted your advice because it made no difference.

The true difference here is that statistics show THEY HAVE A MUCH LOWER CHANCE OF SURVIVAL. It also takes them longer to learn. And the fairings cost some serious bankroll every time they drop the bike.

Please don't have a problem with your bro's trying to save lives and give newer motorcyclists a richer more fulfilling lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.