Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I ended up buying a sports bike for my first bike. aside from that:

I bought a 98 gsxr 600, (previous owners race bike) the bike made it two miles from the shop before the engine died in a huge cloud of blue smoke. The shop would not take it back or even look at it which made me real happy. It ended up that the engine had about 2 quarts of gas mixed in with the three quarts of oil (not to mention a few 2.5 inch long metal fragments) which I assume caused a large amount of oil to leak past the rings due to the water-like viscosity. I ended up deciding i was just going to get the thing running again but once I started taking it apart I found so many random problems that I decided to really make an effort at it.

total work done:

drove to new jersey from ohio and bought a used engine with 3k miles on it.
swapped engine.
new tail plastic.
new subframe.
polished frame
installed the previously non existent rear turn signal/brake light/license plate bracket assembly.
new clutch.
rebuilt the carbs.
new paint job.
new windscreen.
flush mount turn signals.
reminded myself never to buy cheap car paint again while sanding/buffing out the clear coat.
got the ram air ducts.
new seats.
radiator fan.
adjustable rear suspension links/raised the bike back up to stock.
new brake lever to replace the one i broke by knocking the bike over while polishing the frame.
rewired most of the bike back to stock.
contemplated kicking previous owners ass, repeatedly.
made a big fucking mess.
lots of various fixes, heicoiling stripped bolt holes ect.

left to do:

install the stock exhaust system so i can put the passenger pegs on.
replace the rear shock since the compression damping adjustment screw is broken which makes it feel like a 67 cady
replace the fork seals.
adjust the chain tension before it breaks and takes off my leg.
fix the seat bolts.
have someone set the suspension up.
continue riding it without getting myself killed.
clean up the really big fucking mess.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
ummm.. welcome?
sorry about the bike. I look forward to pics when you get it all fixed up

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
well... since you already got it, i hope you be safe and get all the safety grears you can afford.

nice bike tho but be careful

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Welcome to the GDC.
How many hours ya figure into the repairs so far? Ouch. Well, you'll know your new bike inside and out when you're done with it. Hope you have some better luck, the only way from hittin' rock bottom is up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, before I even bought it I got all the safety gear including ce approved bodyarmor.

I think all in all it took about 80-100 hours of actual work. The bulk of the time was sanding out and buffing the paint along with polishing the frame.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome I look foward to seeing some pics...

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Welcome to GDC!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts