Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just joined up and i have 1 basic question. I would appretiate it if some riders with some time on these sport bikes could help me out.

I have only been on a couple 250 dirtbikes before but i could control those easy in wheelies and on dirt tracks. Thats the only bike riding i have experienced.

My question is, i am 6'3" and 260 pounds. Im not small. I was thinking of getting a GSX-R 600 that is about 350 pounds. Would this be too small for my size? I was leaning more toward a GSX-R750. I am a big man and i can handle the size of the bike, and i know i need to have plenty of respect for them.

So, pretty much, would my size be too much for a 600? Would the 750 be a better choice?

Thanks

Nate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. I will be taking it before i get a bike tho.

I want to live trust me. I also want to be able to enjoy riding the bike without being scared shitless lol.

I definitly plan to start slowly, and get a feel for it. I got REALLY good at riding a 250 dirt bike, and i am sure i can get good at riding a street bike.

How touchy are the clutches and throttle ont he gixxer 600?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Take the MSF course, get some gear, and forget the 600 and get a 750.

750 = much better choice IMO for a guy of your size. 1000 might be too much to handle since you say you have riden only a couple of 250 dirt bikes.

Forget the wheelies at first. Learn to ride and be safe is the number one priority. The wheelies will come over time when you least expect them to.

·
Banned
952 Posts
the 600 and 750 are physically the same size. if you fit one one, youll fit on the other. if you must get one, get the 600. its slightly less lethal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will NEVER be doing any wheelies. NEVER.

I also wont EVER do any stunts etc. I just want to have a nice sport bike to ride. They get great milage, they are fun on the street, and i would love to drive some country roads on it.

Of course i would also like to open it up on a few choice straits i have here in Ohio. I like to go fast too, but I wont be getting stupid with it. Too much to live for.

I think i can handle the responsability of a 750.

Ill ask again tho, how touchy and forgiving is the cluch on these sport bikes? Same with the throttle. Will it try to loop on you the instant you release the clutch? Is is slippable or really catchy?

·
Banned
952 Posts
I will NEVER be doing any wheelies. NEVER.

I also wont EVER do any stunts etc. I just want to have a nice sport bike to ride. They get great milage, they are fun on the street, and i would love to drive some country roads on it.

Of course i would also like to open it up on a few choice straits i have here in Ohio. I like to go fast too, but I wont be getting stupid with it. Too much to live for.

I think i can handle the responsability of a 750.

Ill ask again tho, how touchy and forgiving is the cluch on these sport bikes? Same with the throttle. Will it try to loop on you the instant you release the clutch? Is is slippable or really catchy?
i aint gonna flame you bro, but youre going about this the wrong way. you dont even know the characteristics of these bikes, yet you have convinced yourself to get one of the most powerful and cutting edge bikes made. bad idea. dirtbike riding doesnt translate into sportbike riding, no matter how badly you want it to.

the throttles are very twitchy, the brakes will throw you off, and you can loop one very easily.

have fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 5'9" 160 pounds and my 2004 gsxr 600 is perfect for me to throw around on the twisties. I rode my buddies 2002 gsxr 750 and it only felt a few pounds heavier, but was still pretty easy to throw around. Go with the 750.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the honest opinions.

Im sure they demand respect. What performance machine doesnt.

I guess ill really have to just go take the MSF class and get on each of these and see which i like.

Im not a stupid person. I know care MUST be taken. I guess it boils down to what feels right.

Thanks guys

·
Banned
952 Posts
i cant belive you clowns are recommending a 750 solely based on his weight. like a 600 wont throw his ass off in a nanosecond.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Definetly take the MSF course. I would suggest the 600 to start out with, you'll be surprised how responsive and twitchy the throttle can be. I just started not long ago and I couldn't imagine STARTING out on a 750. Good luck though, and be safe!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah yes, the 650. Is it a more "streetable" beginner bike i take it?

Less harshness in its workings? More error friendly that the gixxer?

·
Banned
952 Posts
Ah yes, the 650. Is it a more "streetable" beginner bike i take it?

Less harshness in its workings? More error friendly that the gixxer?
definitely. some people start on an sv and like it so much they never leave it. the sv is a GREAT bike to start with. its still pretty powerful, but its not as sensitive as the gsxr, and its relaxed ergonomics make it an easy and comfortable bike to lean on.

you can get it with full fairings as well, if you want the supersport look.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My question is, i am 6'3" and 260 pounds. Im not small. I was thinking of getting a GSX-R 600 that is about 350 pounds. Would this be too small for my size?

Nate,

Im about the same size as you, and my 03 600 is more than plenty!

Yea, you might not be able to ride as fast as the 150 lb kid (on paper) but you will still enjoy it

the 600 class is enough bike, so stick with that, if you dont think the 599ccs is enough, you could always get a ninja 636, which has just a little bit more power, but you dont need it

·
Registered
315 Posts
I m a pretty big guy and my 600 will throw me around enough to scare the shit outta me even when i do respect it. Your gonna make mistakes either way, so follow your heart and be safe. And watch out for stupid bitches in honda civics that dont look before they come flying in your lane and almost hit you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
SV650, thats the perfect choice. Fast, fun, great begginer bike, as well as great for expierenced riders. There is a ton of race parts for the SV, so it can grow with you as your skills improve. Id venture to say you would end up a more skilled rider in the long run!!! You will be able to "push" the sv and learn what the limit is all about.
But either will be sweet!!!
Have fun.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts