Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering at red lights should I be holding the clutch in waiting in 1st gear or should I be in neutral as much as I can? I only ask this because I dont want to be replacing my clutch because Im not using it properly and it wore out before its supposed to.

Sorry about the dumb question this is my first bike and I only had it 3 months.

·
Registered
196 Posts
As far as safety is concerned, it is definately better to leave it in gear as this gives you the ability to move in an emergency.

Im not too sure about it wearing your clutch, though. The clutch isn't slipping so it should not "wear" it.

Correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If your Clutch lever is pulled in ( Clutch disengaged ) then it shouldnt wear your clutch at all... Provided of course that your leaving it in ALL THE WAY. Safer to leave it in gear, and you dont hold any1 up while shifting to first from neutral.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Brianinms said:
Its not really a stupid question, but I would recommend taking the MSF course as questions like this one and many more are answered.
This is something they teach you in the Motorcycle Safety Course. Like mentioned above, by leaving the bike in 1st with the clutch disengaged this gives you the ability to quickly pull away should you need to at an intersection.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Chriscrct said:
Safer to leave it in gear, and you dont hold any1 up while shifting to first from neutral.
Just my $.02
You should hesitate before taking off anyways. Lots of people running through yellows and you might not see one. better hold up 3 cars for two seconds than block an entire intersection with your shredded corpse for 2 hours.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
PerfectPoo said:
You should hesitate before taking off anyways. Lots of people running through yellows and you might not see one. better hold up 3 cars for two seconds than block an entire intersection with your shredded corpse for 2 hours.
+1

I was fucking with my ipod when my light turned green a couple of months ago. Nobody was behind me so i didn't get in a hurry. When i finally took off, somebody came hauling ass through the intersection. I always pause and let the cages go first so that i have a "lead blocker"...then i smoke their ass, haha.

I do the same thing capt does. I leave mine in gear and watch until the cars stop behind me, then i will put it in neutral and relax.

Reactions: PerfectPoo

·
60,366 Posts
By the way...

There is no such thing as a stupid question........only stupid people who ask questions.

:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
BlackLightning said:
Hey guys I was just wondering at red lights should I be holding the clutch in waiting in 1st gear or should I be in neutral as much as I can? I only ask this because I dont want to be replacing my clutch because Im not using it properly and it wore out before its supposed to.

Sorry about the dumb question this is my first bike and I only had it 3 months.
my advice is that as long as your hand is ready to clutch keep it in gear... you never know when you might need to make an escap from another driver coming your way. Occasionally, at a redlight you might need to adjust something and put it in neutral to free the hand from the clutch, but if that is the case, I wouldn't do to much relaxing cause if a car veres for some reason and is in your direction... you might need those extra few seconds to realize and take action... be prepared to go as much as possible... (well let me note, this is assuming heavy traffic areas I live in the city... in low traffice areas, shouldn't hurt to relax that cluch hand.)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
capt211 said:
i leave my bike in gear untill i see the car behind me come to a complete stop.
This is probably the best answer. Besides if there is cross traffic where are you going to go? Plus for those who don't know a clutch wears when it is disengaged. When it is engaged it does not wear all the parts are moving together. I pull the clutch in andd take it out of gear before I come to a stop. But I do watch my mirrors for the cars behind me.:punk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Like everyone else has said, take the MSF! You'll have fun on those 125/250cc msf bikes.

I keep it in gear until the car behind me comes to a complete stop. I also tap on my brakes to try to warn them that i'm there.

·
60,366 Posts
^ i do that too

·
Registered
205 Posts
Definitely leave your bike in first gear. Hit the brake lights a couple of times to indicate your braking. Always look in the rear mirror until the car behind you comes to a complete stop. Safety HAS to be your number 1 concern on a bike. Leaving it in gear allows you to take off if the idiot coming up behind you "doesn't see you".

Take the MSF course. It's well worth it. Some states, like PA, pay for it for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
just keep in mind, it's not always just the one car directly behind you... any of them can not see the motorcycle 2 cars up and think they have more breaking room... cars rear end cars all the time...

the class is a big help... !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.